How long does it take you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a moderatly new technician and find it very difficult to get my times down for doing fills or new sets with nail art. How long does it take you to do these services.... (sculptured gel). It can take me anywhere from 3 to 4 hours!!!

Any tips you can offer myself and others that might help us shave time of our sessions?

Thanks Geeks <3

The best tip I can offer you, is to use the search function. You will find impossible amount of knowlege. And your question was answered so many times, that you will find it too. Nice reading!

I often struggle with the search function, I'm sure I could find the info if I had all day, but often it just doesn't return what I'm after : )

I am pretty new too, only working 2 days a week since the start of last year and it takes me 2.5hrs for a full set of gel and that will include some level of basic art like rockstar or french, hot towels, massage, payment and rebooking. I have been reading threads of the past year with some good advice and here are some that have helped me.

- don't stress about it, and don't appologise
- be organised, have everything ready
- don't use too many different files, find one or two that do the whole job
- get the client talking and you listen, get used to listening well without eye contact!!!
- push yourself - book your clients 10-15mins closer than usual and when that gets more comfortable, cut it back again. If you book your clients 4 hrs apart, you are more likely to be complaicent and use the whole 4 hrs : )
- filing is usually a time killer have a pattern that you file in (CND have a good one) that way there is less fluffing about and you get into a rhythmn and its over before you know it.
- practice - that takes time and I am slowly learning to accept this too but my clients like that I am a little fussy and don't mind me taking the extra time for a better quality result.

I know there are more but that's all that comes to mind right now, hope it helps a little :biggrin:

As a new technician, the main thing to worry about for now would be if your sets last with no issues. Speed comes with time and experience, but for now, just focus on what it is most new techs struggle with... nail prep. Too often we see lifting, cracking, pinging off posts and most boils down to poor prep. If time is really an issue for you, note the time it takes you to do each step. The one that takes you the longest should be what you would work on improving. Most clients understand that if you're just starting out, you will tend to take longer. Good luck. x

I often struggle with the search function, I'm sure I could find the info if I had all day, but often it just doesn't return what I'm after : )

I am pretty new too, only working 2 days a week since the start of last year and it takes me 2.5hrs for a full set of gel and that will include some level of basic art like rockstar or french, hot towels, massage, payment and rebooking. I have been reading threads of the past year with some good advice and here are some that have helped me.

- don't stress about it, and don't appologise
- be organised, have everything ready
- don't use too many different files, find one or two that do the whole job
- get the client talking and you listen, get used to listening well without eye contact!!!
- push yourself - book your clients 10-15mins closer than usual and when that gets more comfortable, cut it back again. If you book your clients 4 hrs apart, you are more likely to be complaicent and use the whole 4 hrs : )
- filing is usually a time killer have a pattern that you file in (CND have a good one) that way there is less fluffing about and you get into a rhythmn and its over before you know it.
- practice - that takes time and I am slowly learning to accept this too but my clients like that I am a little fussy and don't mind me taking the extra time for a better quality result.

I know there are more but that's all that comes to mind right now, hope it helps a little :biggrin:

Do you have any info about the cnd filing ive sent my certificates off to s2 and im waiting in a reply so i can look into booking training with them
X

have a look at the tutorials hun, you will learn loads...

also its just practice, practice that gets your time down, maybe also book in somewhere for a 121 so that they can see what you are doing and give you pointers specific to how you are doing your nails.

files is definitely a good place to start in the meantime, once you have decent files that should cut down your time immediately. It is so easy to think ill just buy cheap files, but they are cheap fr a reason!!!

Thanks ladies for the wonderful replies. I am taking an advanced nail art course right now (today is the last day) and the teacher and a couple fo the techs at the salon that is hosting the course does full sets with nail art in an hour and a half! I can't even imagine!

I could see myself eventually getting them to 2 and a half maximum but it is hard to imagine any shorter...

I am too much of a perfectionist I think... BUT I also want the shape of my clients nails to be perfect or as close to as possible. The teacher teaching my advanced nail art course right now put one nail on me yesterday to demonstrate something.... and if all her nails are shaped like mine I could see whay she gets it done in an hour and a half! I would feel terrible if my clients left with a set of nails like the one on my finger!

Oh well... I am taking what I like from the course and leaving some behind :)

I am not having any major lifting issues or any other issues with my nails, and that is the most important to me... and of course them... the time will come as you said...

I should be able to observe a lot more at today's course as we are all practicing what we have learnt on each other and there are a few very experienced nail techs there.

Thanks Ladies <3

Do you have any info about the cnd filing ive sent my certificates off to s2 and im waiting in a reply so i can look into booking training with them
X

I started out the the CND Brisa Gel pack and I'm pretty sure it was on the dvd and in the manual. They paint the nail red and go through step by step and as you file off the colour in the correct pattern it is then easy to see that you have covered all areas of the nail. I also know there are some great tutorials on this site thanks to Geeg.

Latest posts

Back