How long for your business to take off ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodbird

Reaction score
Hi All

I am fully trained in lashes Gelicure nails Manicure and warm wax hair removal. I have been trading for a Year now but business is so slow.
I am feeling really disheartened by it all, I have some regulars however they are not always booking every month some go 6 or 8 weeks between appointments. I know times are hard and I have had some clients suffer with loss of jobs and ill health, but I am not sure how much longer I can carry on. I have a website www.fabulashnailsandbeauty.co.uk a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/#!/Fabulash.Jodi and I have professionally printed leaflets, I am registered on a load of selling and free search sites and also attend Christmas and summer fayres but still not gaining enough new custom. Is anyone else suffering or is it just me. I do only work part time (as I have a 2 year old) but this consists of every evening in the week 2 full days wed & friday til late and a sat morning however still not enough clients to keep me ticking over. Sorry for the essay just a bit down about it all and want some opinions. Thanks in advance for your replies. :(

Hi All

I am fully trained in lashes Gelicure nails Manicure and warm wax hair removal. I have been trading for a Year now but business is so slow.
I am feeling really disheartened by it all, I have some regulars however they are not always booking every month some go 6 or 8 weeks between appointments. I know times are hard and I have had some clients suffer with loss of jobs and ill health, but I am not sure how much longer I can carry on. I have a website www.fabulashnailsandbeauty.co.uk a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/#!/Fabulash.Jodi and I have professionally printed leaflets, I am registered on a load of selling and free search sites and also attend Christmas and summer fayres but still not gaining enough new custom. Is anyone else suffering or is it just me. I do only work part time (as I have a 2 year old) but this consists of every evening in the week 2 full days wed & friday til late and a sat morning however still not enough clients to keep me ticking over. Sorry for the essay just a bit down about it all and want some opinions. Thanks in advance for your replies. :(

Have you researched prices in salons/ Other Home based therapists in your area? It can take a lot longer to build up your client base when working from home as its not visible/ or have passing trade like a salon premises. I always find taking a step back and looking at how your marketing your business helps, even give a feedback form to your clients is a great help to find out exactly what your customer are happy with etc, also are you offering enough treatments?
There really is a lot you can do if you want to put the time in to get clients to come to you, some times that includes offering seasonal offers, bearing in mind times are tougher, but you dont want to be out of pocket either!
My studio isnt on a high street, im quite hidden away so advertising is a priority, i leaflet drop, have my "A" board at the end of my premises, fb page etc, i have graphics on my car etc.
Id say leaflet drop and consider vehicle grapics if you have a car as this will help promote your business. Its hard work & long hours but dont give up! xx

Thanks for your reply, I have done a fair few leaflet drops now, I have had positive feedback from Clients and am always on FB advertising myself I have done 1st time customer offers and also seasonal offers. I have the car magnets on order that is the only thing I have not done yet. It is just so slow. We have a mix of business in the area some charge more than me some slightly less but to be honest the service and products they offer do not compare as I have had clients come from them unhappy with what they were given. Few more bookings come in just got to keeo going I suppose.
Again thanks for your reply you were the only one I got .
Thanks

I've literally just started a few weeks ago but I'm expecting it to take at least a year for me to take off and probably 2-3 for it to get to the stage where I can quit my other jobs and live off beauty alone.

I've been going 3 years now, firstly room renting in a newly opened salon and now from a home salon. Since opening the home salon, gross earnings have almost doubled! Sounds strange but its true. Think it all boils down to the area change and easier parking.

Were currently in our 3rd year it was a rough 2 years ,but things are looking better , should be making good money by the 5th year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ladies,

I know how incredibly frustrating it can be, but don't give up! Good things do take time! You sound like you are doing all the right things! Marketing has to be consistent. Do you have a client loyalty programme in place? I use mailchimp and do monthly newsletters to my existing clients and include a monthly promotion and various information that is relevant to the time of year etc. It's great because you design it yourself and there is no charge for it. I am coming 3 years in business and it has been the hardest 3 years but it will be worth it! ;););)

You all give me so inspiration!
As I've only started in dec 2012

From January I've had a few clients each week. This weeks been really bad, maybe due to the weather.

I've followed everything from Lynne's thread on " how to promote your business".

Got my own home salon, websites live.

It does get you down when you don't get any enquiries. But I try to use that time to promote my marketing, think of promotions.

When I see replies on here that it takes 2-3 years I try to be positive and carry on.

I only started at the end if last year, spent so much on training and products etc, advertise all the time and seem to get little or no interest, a little disheartening but am sure there pick up eventually. Thinking of renting a desk somewhere, but with being new am a little nervous so haven't really plucked up the courage yet!!!

It can be so dishearting but try to look it at it in a different way. I still get disheartened even now, but with advertising, you have to remember its about getting your name out there. Have you got a page on Facebook for your business? Try to keep your promotions fun and different each time! It does take time but with consistancy, professional service and great treatments you can't go wrong! :lol:

I just started up my home salon too at the beginning of January so I am very new. I am working on marketing strategies at the moment and have yet to build my website. TBH after working full time for 5 years and my husband too, it`s going to take me a few weeks to get my house in order to make it `client friendly`!

In the meantime I have a couple friends and neighbours that I have picked up and I am hoping that them flaunting their nails at everyone will bring in some more. I always ask them to take away business cards for me to give to their friends and family.

I think one thing that works is to figure out your niche in the market - what is it that you do that is so different from anyone else. Is it the atmosphere and ambiance of your salon? Do you offer herbal tea and relaxing music combined with cleanliness and relaxing smells?

Find your niche and market the hell out of it!

When I worked for the bank, we talked a lot about the difference between customer service and customer experience. We all have a lot of competition in the beauty industry and a lot of it comes from production line type service. If we can provide the customers with a completely different experience along with great service then I think we can all be winners in this industry!

I just started renting a room in October and as I work full time in an office job I dedicate all of my evenings and weekends to my small beauty business. My only advertising is through facebook and just before xmas I started on the facebook adverts to help increase "likes" I can honestly say this has helped so much through January, on average I would get 20 new likes a day and these people are making bookings, I only budget €5.00 per day but would get bookings everyday even if it's only one or two bookings they soon add up :)

Word of mouth is the best form of advertising! Take some photos of your work on your facebook page and website! Be proud and show off the work that you do. Working from home is great but it does have its challenges!

20 new likes a day is great! Well done! When I started my business I was doing the same, working full time and working on my business part time. Was tough! I ran promotions that on the day I could be at the salon. Which helped! But looking back it was the best way to go about it. I personally re invested all the income from the business while I was working full time and put that into some advertising. Are you renting a room within a hair salon?

2 years to build a business, 5 years to build a name.

I just started renting a room in October and as I work full time in an office job I dedicate all of my evenings and weekends to my small beauty business. My only advertising is through facebook and just before xmas I started on the facebook adverts to help increase "likes" I can honestly say this has helped so much through January, on average I would get 20 new likes a day and these people are making bookings, I only budget €5.00 per day but would get bookings everyday even if it's only one or two bookings they soon add up :)

Hi

I'm struggling with fb! 😞

I'm not a technical person at all, I tried setting up a ad on fb, but don't understand how it works and what settings I need to input. As it tells me
I'll get charged for the amount of clicks?

Hi there

I've got a page on fb, but do not know how to set up an advert 😞
I'm not technical at all.

I tried going into advert, picked a few things then it tells me I get charged for each click? Not sure of what setting to input.

Sorry didn't post first time, that's why there's two post. 😖

I rent a room in a unit that used to be a beauticians it's only me in there at the minute so I've had to work really hard in getting the name out there and letting people know it's open again. The fb adverts thing took me a while to get the hang of it, I get charged for new likes so I guess that's pay for clicks? I'll have a look through the options I selected when I'm in work tomorrow and let you know can't really see it properly as I'm on my I Phone

I have been going for 19 months & it took a few months. I'm shocked at how quick I grew

I started off mobile for 4 months then started working from home as just got to busy. It's the best thing I have done & with other treatments I now do earnings have tripled

What started out as a PT little job now sees me working 6 days a week all day Fri & from 4pm through the week

I no I'm lucky I no it takes people awhile to get established like a year or so I think for me it was the costs by advertising on FB & word of mouth

I starting renting my room in July 12, it took me about 2 months to refurbish it.. coz i was painting etc all by myself and had to get my own furniture and equipment.
Had my first client in Sept and its still really really slow... but i have a few regulars coming back and quite a few gift vouchers bought before Xmas.
2013 is going to be my business building year! :D

MS
xxx

Latest posts

Back