How low are you prepared to go?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED STAR

Reaction score
I'm interested to know just how low you are prepared to go to in respect of price/time/quality/pride?

Keep your wigs on.....:p ....I think this discussion is way over due! :cool:

I’m not. I’ve been approached by a lady asking what price I’ll do for 2 people coming together for massage. Same price as for one, doubled.

We offer fabulous treatments at competitive prices. Some think we’re expensive. One client told me our bespoke facial at £85 is too cheap!

I have a little look at what everyone else is doing and then I carve my own path. Competing with anyone on price is a fools game and is absolutely not the way to build a good, loyal clientele.

So there’s my answer. The price is on our website. It’s not up for negotiation [emoji4]

Vic x

My prices are what they are. Not open to negotiation.
I already have pamper packages that carry a discount but that's all.

I'm obviously in the web game which many of you know but generally speaking, I'm double, if not more, than most web designers. Depends on who you compare me to. I'm worth it though :p

I will never lower my standards. I've been sacked protecting others, standing my ground against idiots, I always stand up for what is right. I won't compromise my self, morals or standards for anyone. Professionally or personally. I'm a passionate, loyal, obstinate, old bat. Think Hattie Jacques crossed with Dennis Skinner!!!!!

I wont lower my prices, never have never will, but I'm also lazy, I'd rather work smarter than harder and do 1 client for £25 than 2 for £12.50

Food for thought, I think the next two years everything will be hiked up and unfortunately the way Instagram has created diy monsters, people "think" they can replicate,brow tattoos, gel nails, tints, lash lifts, diy hair, lash extensions, filler, peels, full frontal glamorous makeup etc. They're all bloody experts on what face mask to make at home if you've got acne or using a toothbrush for dark underarms!!! Competing with social media and professional services. You even have programs on bbc "the truth about.." doesn't touch on actual professional services just /otc products. Same thing with Youtube all this beauty influencers are using cosmetic products and not actually having any professional services done.
For instance the brand the ordinary does skincare range and many people have viewed this and compared this brand to a professional grade product. Many years ago s2 put their pricing down on shellac for professionals for around 3 months or so, it was a great offer, did I still charge the same and make a bit of profit? of course! In the same respect of doing the same work but not discounting I brought more reinvested in my salon. The main difference here is people expecting consumer prices on say a bottle of fake tan equates to a professional spraytan service. I have learnt many valuable lessons in my own learning curve, and going rock bottom on prices.... its a very slippery slope to rise from. It's not about standards, because clients are money focused/orientated on what will sway their mind, they might not indulgent in a £10 manicure normally and because a friend of a friend who knows someone whos only taking cash will fundamentally get that client.

My rambling point is the high street is changing you only have to look in ghost towns now to see whats left around and when I opened my business in the recession, i feel like so what if you put it down a bit, at least you'll survive.

I think consumers are a bit more savvy and are ever changing, they seem to want to do it for a hobby. In my honest opinion i don't think price/time/quality/pride is respected at the moment, people do try to barter with your prices, there is not respect its more a anyone can do it attitude and not putting in the hard work and graft. xoxo

Food for thought, I think the next two years everything will be hiked up and unfortunately the way Instagram has created diy monsters, people "think" they can replicate,brow tattoos, gel nails, tints, lash lifts, diy hair, lash extensions, filler, peels, full frontal glamorous makeup etc. They're all bloody experts on what face mask to make at home if you've got acne or using a toothbrush for dark underarms!!! Competing with social media and professional services. You even have programs on bbc "the truth about.." doesn't touch on actual professional services just /otc products. Same thing with Youtube all this beauty influencers are using cosmetic products and not actually having any professional services done.
For instance the brand the ordinary does skincare range and many people have viewed this and compared this brand to a professional grade product. Many years ago s2 put their pricing down on shellac for professionals for around 3 months or so, it was a great offer, did I still charge the same and make a bit of profit? of course! In the same respect of doing the same work but not discounting I brought more reinvested in my salon. The main difference here is people expecting consumer prices on say a bottle of fake tan equates to a professional spraytan service. I have learnt many valuable lessons in my own learning curve, and going rock bottom on prices.... its a very slippery slope to rise from. It's not about standards, because clients are money focused/orientated on what will sway their mind, they might not indulgent in a £10 manicure normally and because a friend of a friend who knows someone whos only taking cash will fundamentally get that client.

My rambling point is the high street is changing you only have to look in ghost towns now to see whats left around and when I opened my business in the recession, i feel like so what if you put it down a bit, at least you'll survive.

I think consumers are a bit more savvy and are ever changing, they seem to want to do it for a hobby. In my honest opinion i don't think price/time/quality/pride is respected at the moment, people do try to barter with your prices, there is not respect its more a anyone can do it attitude and not putting in the hard work and graft. xoxo

Yep...that's where we are in a nut shell!:oops:

I offer top quality and luckily, have found my clients that both appreciate that and respect me. My prices have always been higher than the norm for this area. I also have the advantage of being in the older age bracket and thus attract those clients too, the ones with disposable income, that remember what it is to pay a bit more for quality.
In my area, customer service is next to non existent. So with a little bit of effort, I look great next to the competition ;)
I have just recently heard from two new clients how they were treated at a "well established" salon and I'm shocked! They were made to leave reviews before they left, were told incorrect information (the heat spikes in the lamp are because the gel is curing from the inside out, like a microwave, so don't take your hand out of the lamp) were told that certain colours on show were difficult to soak off, so to choose a different one (haha, really??) This isn't a newbie cheap salon either. So, they will obviously be recommending me further.
But, the thing I worry about is that people think it's the norm to pay so little for gel nails and this will push the prices down.
Perhaps I can take a different view on it as I wont be doing this for much more than 5-7 years and I'm pretty full now already.
I wouldn't want to be starting out in this industry now.
One thing I struggle with is retail, but I put that down to products being so readily available to order online, free next day delivery, and we all like a bargain, don't we? I never order stock unless it's vat free if I can help it

I offer top quality and luckily, have found my clients that both appreciate that and respect me. My prices have always been higher than the norm for this area. I also have the advantage of being in the older age bracket and thus attract those clients too, the ones with disposable income, that remember what it is to pay a bit more for quality.
In my area, customer service is next to non existent. So with a little bit of effort, I look great next to the competition ;)
I have just recently heard from two new clients how they were treated at a "well established" salon and I'm shocked! They were made to leave reviews before they left, were told incorrect information (the heat spikes in the lamp are because the gel is curing from the inside out, like a microwave, so don't take your hand out of the lamp) were told that certain colours on show were difficult to soak off, so to choose a different one (haha, really??) This isn't a newbie cheap salon either. So, they will obviously be recommending me further.
But, the thing I worry about is that people think it's the norm to pay so little for gel nails and this will push the prices down.
Perhaps I can take a different view on it as I wont be doing this for much more than 5-7 years and I'm pretty full now already.
I wouldn't want to be starting out in this industry now.
One thing I struggle with is retail, but I put that down to products being so readily available to order online, free next day delivery, and we all like a bargain, don't we? I never order stock unless it's vat free if I can help it

Totally agree. However retail has been a game changer for us. A third of our turnover is from retail which helps to offset our VAT bill. I tend to find that clients want it now, so we ensure we have pretty much everything we sell in stock x

Totally agree. However retail has been a game changer for us. A third of our turnover is from retail which helps to offset our VAT bill. I tend to find that clients want it now, so we ensure we have pretty much everything we sell in stock x
But you are out in the sticks, Vicki, so a trip to the shops or having to wait in for a parcel is probably the lesser preferred option. I'm a small salon with a less well known product. Also, skin is not my area of expertise x

I'd actually rather shut my doors for good than compromise on price / standards / etc. It is so disheartening to have to compete with Insta generation and one-day-course "businesses", but I spent years working my butt off to build my business... often having to compromise, giving 'deals' to secure new business and prove my worth. I aint doing it now! I'm now in a position to pick & choose my clients (to a degree) and if someone doesn't like my pricing, they are welcome to go elsewhere. Every now & then I'm almost swayed by a new 'fad' treatment or product, but I know my business and I know my client market, so stick to what I know works and generates income. And I refuse to alter my business ethos because of what the "competition" are doing.

I'd actually rather shut my doors for good than compromise on price / standards / etc. It is so disheartening to have to compete with Insta generation and one-day-course "businesses", but I spent years working my butt off to build my business... often having to compromise, giving 'deals' to secure new business and prove my worth. I aint doing it now! I'm now in a position to pick & choose my clients (to a degree) and if someone doesn't like my pricing, they are welcome to go elsewhere. Every now & then I'm almost swayed by a new 'fad' treatment or product, but I know my business and I know my client market, so stick to what I know works and generates income. And I refuse to alter my business ethos because of what the "competition" are doing.

Bravo.......:)

Hey fellow geeks. I am finding this quite hard starting out as a mobile nail tech competing with salons and social media. Do i stand my ground on prices and hope that real genuine clients will come in or do i put my prices down to get clients in ? Also i find that everyone is a nail tech and Beauty expert thanks to social media and some ppl would rather go and try and do treatments on themselves.

Hey fellow geeks. I am finding this quite hard starting out as a mobile nail tech competing with salons and social media. Do i stand my ground on prices and hope that real genuine clients will come in or do i put my prices down to get clients in ? Also i find that everyone is a nail tech and Beauty expert thanks to social media and some ppl would rather go and try and do treatments on themselves.

Have you looked at what others in the area are charging? I wouldn’t go lower but I would do offers x

I've researched other salons prices and i think mine are inline or a little bit less then others. I have neva tried offers but I will be trying to do more offers when events come up such as mothers day, etc. Thanks for that advise x x

I think there will always be different priced salons just like you get your Waitrose or Aldi, your Chanel or your Debenhams etc. Just price according to your own area, desired target market and overheads and leave the haggling to the market! I know what clients I prefer and they aren’t the ones who just come to me because “I’m cheap!” I’m never gonna make loads of money doing this but at least I can have fun doing it with the kind of clients I enjoy working with!

I think there will always be different priced salons just like you get your Waitrose or Aldi, your Chanel or your Debenhams etc. Just price according to your own area, desired target market and overheads and leave the haggling to the market! I know what clients I prefer and they aren’t the ones who just come to me because “I’m cheap!” I’m never gonna make loads of money doing this but at least I can have fun doing it with the kind of clients I enjoy working with!

Exactly, well said!
When I went through my client records in January, I could see that the clients who came originally on a price offer haven't become regulars.

There is a US series about a nail salon who charge $10,000 for a manicure. I'll have to grab the name. it's a bit sad but I watch all these types of series ha.

Latest posts

Back