How many foils do you use in a T-bar?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel123

Reaction score
I think I put in too many , the girl I work with who came from a big salon name prob uses 30 at most , I think I do more like 50! Am I being over generous and giving my clients too many ! Help pls tks x x

It all really depends what look they are going for and how thick or thin their hair is :) some clients I use hardly any and some I use lots! :) if your getting good results and are covering the costs I woukdnt worry too much! :) xx

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

It all really depends what look they are going for and how thick or thin their hair is :) some clients I use hardly any and some I use lots! :) if your getting good results and are covering the costs I woukdnt worry too much! :) xx

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Agree with this

In college they try and insist on a minimum number of foils, but I think as long as the desired look is achieved there's no right or wrong answer. x

50 in a t-bar? How do you fit that many in! Lol suppose it depends on the size and shape of the clients head and thickness of hair x

50 in a t-bar? How do you fit that many in! Lol suppose it depends on the size and shape of the clients head and thickness of hair x

Lol!! I know , I think I just do too many , haven't actually counted but I do my meche really close together and I am slow 🐢, so need to speed up , think it's more my sections as I just put into many !! I am giving great value for money to them as my t bar is more like a half head!!!packets wise 😭xx

I do about 30 on tbar for the average head xx

It's a good question and I am going to start counting them cos I always think clients want to pay the price of a t-section but expect the result of a half head! I am starting to get a bit more precise with this lately as the benefits of a t-section should be less time & less product used so less cost to the client but they shd prob just do this as a maintenance fix rather than a regular thing. I.e full head once a year, half head once or twice with a t section inbetween. T-section is meant to be just top and front hairline so 20 - 25 foils should easily do this, 40 - 50 for half head and 80-100 for full head. It's great for your clients that you put so much in for them but maybe not for you!

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

It's a good question and I am going to start counting them cos I always think clients want to pay the price of a t-section but expect the result of a half head! I am starting to get a bit more precise with this lately as the benefits of a t-section should be less time & less product used so less cost to the client but they shd prob just do this as a maintenance fix rather than a regular thing. I.e full head once a year, half head once or twice with a t section inbetween. T-section is meant to be just top and front hairline so 20 - 25 foils should easily do this, 40 - 50 for half head and 80-100 for full head. It's great for your clients that you put so much in for them but maybe not for you!

Lol!! I know , I am such a perfectionist then , they probably need a half head so I am doing the extras in the t bar , same as when they have the half head and the "few"underneath!! , I actually do the side when I do the t bar so I am doing too much then?!!

I think it's up to you how many you do, you could potentially be charging a bit more if you put that many in but if your happy and feel you are covering your costs than its fine.
I want to become more transparent about the services in future to avoid any confusion and have standardisation between stylists so we are all doing the the same thing. I put my prices inside my appt. cards and next time they go to print I am going to put in brackets under each foil service the amount of foils e.g t-section (20-25 foils) half head (40-50 foils) etc so that it is clear for clients, I can cut them all beforehand so know exactly how many to prepare and if I end up needing more foils or product due to long/thick hair they can see I need to do more and I will apply my long hair surcharge. This is just because like you say they book in for half but say would you just pop a few in nape so when I wear hair up it looks ok etc. if I have them all Pre cut I can say yes that's fine but means they will be spaced out a bit more on the rest of hair to ensure we don't end up using more foils than costed in for or more time and product.

I agree I think it's up to you how many you put in but you will be using more product so they should be charged more x

Hi,when i do T-section i basically cover the parting and hairline on the sides. So probably 5 foil each side taken diagonally and then the parting. Its meant to just keep them going for longer in between appointments before they have full or half head ;-)

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

I think it's up to you how many you do, you could potentially be charging a bit more if you put that many in but if your happy and feel you are covering your costs than its fine.
I want to become more transparent about the services in future to avoid any confusion and have standardisation between stylists so we are all doing the the same thing. I put my prices inside my appt. cards and next time they go to print I am going to put in brackets under each foil service the amount of foils e.g t-section (20-25 foils) half head (40-50 foils) etc so that it is clear for clients, I can cut them all beforehand so know exactly how many to prepare and if I end up needing more foils or product due to long/thick hair they can see I need to do more and I will apply my long hair surcharge. This is just because like you say they book in for half but say would you just pop a few in nape so when I wear hair up it looks ok etc. if I have them all Pre cut I can say yes that's fine but means they will be spaced out a bit more on the rest of hair to ensure we don't end up using more foils than costed in for or more time and product.

That's a great idea, I should really do the same , I am a bit of a soft touch to be honest so I need to toughen up!! So at least by having them pre cut and the amount written in black and white it would clarify the matter and make me a bit braver !! ( you would never think I was 41 lol) tks a million for your advice x

My pleasure, It's always good to get others opinion on things, I think it's a common trait with hairdressers, we always want to go the extra mile for our clients but they have to realise its how we make our living at the end of the day so it has to be profitable for us too! Xxx

Latest posts

Back