How many hours are owners in their salons?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emo

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask some of you out there who own or run salons, just exactly how much time you actually spend working in the salon per week? Am very interested to find out, as am hoping to run my own salon at some stage! :)

I am now closed on Mondays but when i was open i was at the salon;
Monday 10-6
Tuesday 10-6
Wednesday 10-6
Thursday 10-9
Friday 10-9
Saturday 10-6
That was 54 hours a week but i do get here for about 9.30 and have been known to stay later
Every week varies. I am now closed Mondays so that cut my hours to 48 and to be honest if i have nobody booked in on a thursday and friday evening then i leave early, but i have been here on a Saturday till 9.30 before. I stay late if clients want to come later so it really does vary. I only live 5 mins from my salon so it's easy for me to pop down.
Then there are all the hours i spend at weekends doing flyers, designer posters, sorting advertising etc......
God i need a holiday :zzz:

i work 9:30 (often get her for 9) - 6:00 mon - fri and 10-6 saturdays and i often then do clients in the evenings if they cant get here during the day!
aarrrggghhhh lol

Hi i do
mon 12-5
tues 8.30-5pm
wed 9-7
thurs 9-8.30
fri 9-5
sat 8.30-4.30

and am shattered lol but u gota do wot u gotta do. theres not many salons around me that do 2 late nites. and mine are always booked 5weeks in advance so they go down reallly well:hug:

Wow thanks for the replies. I cant believe some of the hours ye work! :eek:

Well I don't work nearly a many hours becaue I have young children who I have to take and collect from school, and swimming, and ballet, and brownies.....:rolleyes: You get my drift. But having said that it works for me. I do wish I could do more hours but intsead I add on a couple of evenings a week to fit everyone in.

Its not only the hours that you are at the salon for,
we all do salon work while we are home,
there's the books to keep on top of, making lists of what is needed at the salon, washing towels etc...
designing small posters to put up in salon,
special offers to think up,
online ordering,
home work if doing any courses,
the list is endless,
i do about 90 hrs per week, hth :hug:

My salon is homebased so I'd say 24/7:eek:

My 'time off' is usually spent geeking lol.

Seriously, it is really hard work but the best thing I have ever done:hug:

mon 9-5
tue closed
wed 10-8
thurs 10-8
fri 9-5
sat 9-4
sun closed

But i am always here, your own salon is your life....not a job lol lol

Just to be slightly different i don't actually work in the salon i just run it so not having to do cuts/treatments but i still tend to be always doing something if it isn't the paperwork it is looking for ideas to grow the business. So, although never actually 'working' in the business many a sat night is spent with glass of wine in hand, film on the telly and laptop at side looking for that new product/service that will set us apart from everybody else. If you go to work for yourself and are serious you won't ever switch off as even on a sunday walking round a department store you will a vase or picture etc and think - ooohhh that will look nice in the salon, or be looking in other shops windows for ideas etc. So it is not the hours you work in the salon, it is more the hours you work when not in the salon you need to think about.

When I first opened my salon I was there at least 50 hours a week, either doing treatments or tidying up, cleaning, doing DIY etc plus doing bookwork a couple of hours at home too.
In the short to medium term whilst the adrenaline is flowing due to the excitement of opening your own business, this is fine, but after the first 2-3 years it dawns on you that you need to pace yourself and that you cannot do EVERYTHING, even if you are a perfectionist you have to let go a bit and trust your staff to take on some jobs to free you up a little bit.
I'm fortunate now ( 14 years later ) to have 3 excellent conscientious therapists working for me who are capable of taking charge and running the salon on their own so I can have time off now and then, in fact I've just had a week off and it's been great.
As someone has said, even when you are not at your salon there are still work-related things which occupy your time, such as promotions, planning new treatments, researching products etc - and as I found this week I have had to go into the salon as the heating and hot water stopped working and I needed to meet a heating engineer there today!
Being a salon owner is definitely NOT mon-fri, nine til five. . . !

Hi my salon hasnt opened yet but ive been workin on it from around August.....24/7. If im not physically working my brain is still in action. I love it, tho sometimes i think to myself will i always be like this or will i run myself into the ground!!

I was working Tue-Sat but i had to cut my hours down cus of stress.So now I get Fridays off and do bout 30 - 35 hours. But im ALWAYS at work, no matter if Im there or not! Ive been thinkin about work since I woke up today - a bloody sunday - and spend ALOT of time doing emails, online promotions, sorting out my website etc etc thinking about the salon, talking about the salon blah blah.

So really it is 24/7 for me. I never have a day off mentally.

Latest posts

Back