How many of us went into Nails thinking 'how hard can it be?'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its not so much that i thought it would be easy , more that i thought i would be better at it !

i think it was because i was so used to being good at my job then suddenly i'm a beginner at something and that was quite frightening really.:Scared:

SNAP! Thats exactly how I felt, I always give everything 110% and this was the first thing I'd done that I couldn't quite master (& still haven't!), but it is so addictive that there's no way I'm giving up now. On a good day you get so much satisfaction from a client who is really pleased (even though I'm still not happy with them), but on a bad day when you feel you've done everything wrong and you spend sleepless nights wondering how (& when) you will ever improve, the easier option seems to be to just give up........but not quite yet! I read Gigi's Nail Class like its a bible and when I'm reading it it I think yeah that makes sense and yeah thats right and then I do someones nails and its like "how come I know what to do in my head but in practice it just wont work for me!" Poor Fee is going to have her work cut out for her with me on Monday! lol

I did.
I think its the fact that a person who is trained and has had experience makes it look so easy. In reality its not :Scared:
It takes allot of practice and hard work to get to a standard that can even make it look remotely easy, I think its that that we don't expect.

i think i thought it would be fairly easy. But also, i never realised that there are different standards of nail tech.

I had done my own nails with boots stick-ons for years and had a go with the boots acrylic once before (eeek! Thats was awful!), then i had my nails done at the local NSS (didnt know that was what they were at the time, but have since had experience of trying to remove the MMA nails they create!) and it was so quick, its looked easy.

When i had my kids and was at home being mummy, i was aware that i wouldnt be able to return to my old job due to the hours, i needed to be able to work around my family commitments, so i started looking for jobs i could do self-employed. I looked into bookeeping but i'd always been bad at maths :biggrin: and then i remember seeing an advert of tv for a home learn nail course. I remembered my best friend and hairdresser saying ' you should learn nails, then i can do you hair and you can do my nails' some years before.

I decided to do the EN course while my boys were very young. All was well until i found this site, my god, the nails on here looked so different to what i had exeperienced before!!!

Then i realised how much i still had to learn, how much i didnt know and how much more i was going to have to spend on products and training to be a higher standard than what i had been used to.

so here i am, finished my home courses, out on the public with a few loyal customers, but miles from where i need to be, but with the nail bug.

Roll on a few more years of no money, spending more than i earn, but enjoying my job for the first time in life!

(Sorry for the essay!)

its not so much that i thought it would be easy , more that i thought i would be better at it !

i think it was because i was so used to being good at my job then suddenly i'm a beginner at something and that was quite frightening really.:Scared:

Spot on! I never thought it would be easy but I thought I would get better more quickly than I did......

I never thought it would be easy and was my own critic picking fault out of each set I did and once I qualified I would spend hours every evening doing set after set on my nail trainer, I see it like learnign to drive it takes ages to get it and lots of practise to become good at it :wink2:

I never thought it would be easy and was my own critic picking fault out of each set I did and once I qualified I would spend hours every evening doing set after set on my nail trainer, I see it like learnign to drive it takes ages to get it and lots of practise to become good at it :wink2:

I'm the same, even If I see what I think is the tiniest fault I pick at it, ever searching for that perfect nail.

on the plus side, if it's something that was easy to master at speed, it would mean that every man and his dog would be competition for the role that many of us love/aspire to so much as a nail technician.

seriously though lol, I've literally just started out with nails doing the manicure and pedicure unit on my nvq2 beauty and I was suprised at how it's not as easy as I thought it would be but yep, I still want to do some specific nail training after this :)

Latest posts

Back