How much do you earn before you are taxed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leahlash

Reaction score
I'm doing an eyelash extension course and hoping to make a bit of pocket money doing extensions for friends and family at a reduced price to begin with. Once I'm confident I am looking to start a mobile beauty business that will fit part time around my two boys.
When do I need to tell revenue & customs about my plans? How much annually do you have to earn before you are taxed? Do I need to let them know I'm doing friends and family for a few months before I start properly or just from when I advertise to the public?
Any advice welcome
Thanks

You need to tell HMRC within 3 months of setting up and you need to declare everything you earn even when you're practising. The amount you can earn before tax is £8105 but you still need to complete a tax return if you're profit is less than that.

The best thing to do is go on a Becoming Self Employed course run by HMRC - free and very useful!

Thank you- so if I don't earn more than the 8k a year I don't have to pay anything?
We get a small amount of child tax credits- will this be affected even if I don't earn the 8k?

I thought it was about 5k you earn before you get taxed?

Thank you- so if I don't earn more than the 8k a year I don't have to pay anything?
We get a small amount of child tax credits- will this be affected even if I don't earn the 8k?

Not sure how tax credits work you'll have to ring them.

You need to register with HMRC within three months of starting your business.

You will need to make a profit of £8105 or over to be paying tax. As Vetty said, even if you earn less, you will still need to complete a tax return.

You will also need to pay national insurance contributions - an invoice for which will be sent on a 6 monthly basis from HMRC after you have registered with them.

Latest posts

Back