How To: Balayage Ombre

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
Let me first say that there are many great different techniques for creating ombre effects, and this is just one method that I use. However I have noticed that there are still many colourists asking about ombre techniques so I thought I would share some photos from earlier today. Enjoy!!!

YOU WILL NEED:
- Combs
- Sectioning Clips
- A Balayage Paddle
- Cling Film
- Tint Brushes (I like brush with softer bristles, one 1.5" wide and a thinner one for the finer highlights.)
- Prelightner mixed to a smooth paste (I use L'Oreal Platium Plus + 20 vol in a 1:2 ratio) It should be smooth but NOT runny, and the lightener should not dry out too quickly, or swell too much.

PREPARATION:
The colour placement should work with the clients natural hair texture, curl pattern, and partings. Take the time to correctly analise the clients hair and visualise you end result.

Working with the natural parting, section the front from the back by taking partings from where the head begins to to curve at the crown, to the ears on both sides.

Take two diagonal partings at the nape, about 2 - 3 cm deep, depending on the hair thickness & density.

9rqgSxum.jpg

APPLICATION:
Apply some prelightener to your paddle, and take a section 1 - 2" inches wide and hold the hair out with firm tension and begin applying the lightener to the mid-lenghs of the hair, the turn your brush vertically and sweep the lightener up the hair strand in a 'v' shape to create a soft blend. Up untill this point the lightener should only be painted on the surface on the hair strand. Finally lay the ends of the hair on the paddle and saturate them with lightener. It is very important that ONLY the ends are saturated to create a graduation of colour and to avoid stripy results. The hair should have an evan coating of lightener, so that the hair underneath cannot be seen.

7esNpN3m.jpg

Cover the section in cling film to prevent the lightener fron drying out, and to keep your sections seperated.

gJjsnqKm.jpg

Keep working up the hair in diagonal partings. The great thing about painting freehand is that you can vary the size and thickness of the sections as you wish. I did not want the end result to look solid on the ends so I left some hair uncoloured inbetween the sections that I painted.

As you work up the head, you may want to take smaller sections of hair.

isH3QVVm.jpg

Once the back is complete move onto the side sections. The hair is typically finer at the sides so I am more delicate with the application.

xT6jXMYm.jpg

FINAL APPLICATION:

zRVqMwbm.jpg

Rinse out each section, once the required lift is achived and finally tone the hair.

In this case I rinsed the colour at a level 8 yellow undercoat, and toned the hair using Dialight, 2 parts 7.23 + 1 part Clear + 6 vol, for 5 minutes.

BEFORE & AFTER:

fhSUGaJm.jpg

Wh0oZlKm.jpg

We were both pleased with the result and in real life the blend is softer that it looks in the photo.

If this helps just one person with their ombres, then I would be very happy, and I look forward to seeing everyone elses techniques - lets share & learn from each other! :)

edit: I have edited the image links, being on mobile, I had no idea how big they were - thanks Noodle x

Last edited:
Love this !

That's brilliant, I'm mobile and doing my first ombré on Saturday, this has really helped and your finished result looks beautiful xx

This looks fab!!thankyou for sharing this!!:)

Another thank you! I've yet to do one but look forward to it! Finished result is really nice x

Let me first say that there are many great different techniques for creating ombre effects, and this is just one method that I use. However I have noticed that there are still many colourists asking about ombre techniques so I thought I would share some photos from earlier today. Enjoy!!!

YOU WILL NEED:
- Combs
- Sectioning Clips
- A Balayage Paddle
- Cling Film
- Tint Brushes (I like brush with softer bristles, one 1.5" wide and a thinner one for the finer highlights.)
- Prelightner mixed to a smooth paste (I use L'Oreal Platium Plus + 20 vol in a 1:2 ratio) It should be smooth but NOT runny, and the lightener should not dry out too quickly, or swell too much.

PREPERATION:
The colour placement should work with the clients natural hair texture, curl pattern, and partings. Take the time to correctly analise the clients hair and visualise you end result.

Working with the natural parting, section the front from the back by taking partings from where the head begins to to curve at the crown, to the ears on both sides.

Take two diagonal partings at the nape, about 2 - 3 cm deep, depending on the hair thickness & density.

9rqgSxum.jpg

APPLICATION:
Apply some prelightener to your paddle, and take a section 1 - 2" inches wide and hold the hair out with firm tension and begin applying the lightener to the mid-lenghs of the hair, the turn your brush vertically and sweep the lightener up the hair strand in a 'v' shape to create a soft blend. Up untill this point the lightener should only be painted on the surface on the hair strand. Finally lay the ends of the hair on the paddle and saturate them with lightener. It is very important that ONLY the ends are saturated to create a graduation of colour and to avoid stripy results. The hair should have an evan coating of lightener, so that the hair underneath cannot be seen.

7esNpN3m.jpg

Cover the section in cling film to prevent the lightener fron drying out, and to keep your sections seperated.

gJjsnqKm.jpg

Keep working up the hair in diagonal partings. The great thing about painting freehand is that you can vary the size and thickness of the sections as you wish. I did not want the end result to look solid on the ends so I left some hair uncoloured inbetween the sections that I painted.

As you work up the head, you may want to take smaller sections of hair.

isH3QVVm.jpg

Once the back is complete move onto the side sections. The hair is typically finer at the sides so I am more delicate with the application.

xT6jXMYm.jpg

FINAL APPLICATION:

zRVqMwbm.jpg

Rinse out each section, once the required lift is achived and finally tone the hair.

In this case I rinsed the colour at a level 8 yellow undercoat, and toned the hair using Dialight, 2 parts 7.23 + 1 part Clear + 6 vol, for 5 minutes.

BEFORE & AFTER:

fhSUGaJm.jpg

Wh0oZlKm.jpg

We were both pleased with the result and in real life the blend is softer that it looks in the photo.

If this helps just one person with their ombres, then I would be very happy, and I look forward to seeing everyone elses techniques - lets share & learn from each other! :)

How do you get both sides even looking? X

HairBy Amanda

Thanks guys! Amanda I decide where I want the colour to start getting a lot lighter (e.g. jawline, cheekbones) as a point of reference and use the mirror to check myself. But because it is blended with some painted higher than others it's not usually a problem hth x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Love this! Really helpful and explained properly, thank you 😃

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Today I finally got to do an ombre/balayage like this without a root colour as previously all my clients wanted me to put a darker tint on roots & feather down which made it a whole lot more complicated! I Used your V sectioning patterns here and was really happy with the result, we use goldwell so afterwards I toned with colorance 8bs mid lengths & 10 champagne on ends.
Every time I do this technique I seem to try a different way but I didn't do any back combing this time and it blended fine with no hard lines and no probs with detangling after washing it all out! Thanks Adam, client was v.happy with result and I will def. use this method again. X

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Wish more people would do things like this! Love seeing different techniques x

Today I finally got to do an ombre/balayage like this without a root colour as previously all my clients wanted me to put a darker tint on roots & feather down which made it a whole lot more complicated! I Used your V sectioning patterns here and was really happy with the result, we use goldwell so afterwards I toned with colorance 8bs mid lengths & 10 champagne on ends.
Every time I do this technique I seem to try a different way but I didn't do any back combing this time and it blended fine with no hard lines and no probs with detangling after washing it all out! Thanks Adam, client was v.happy with result and I will def. use this method again. X

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Awesome!! I love painting freehand, it feels so much more creative :) x

Hi Adam ,this is one I did yesterday. just used Loreal bleach and 20 vol and it didn't even need toning. loved the result

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1395308367747.jpg
    1395308367747.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,206
  • 1395308383032.jpg
    1395308383032.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 2,295
  • 1395308399227.jpg
    1395308399227.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 22,654
Is a Balyage paddle like a "spatula" x

Hi Adam ,this is one I did yesterday. just used Loreal bleach and 20 vol and it didn't even need toning. loved the result

This looks soo beautiful, I bet she loved it! :)

Was the hair already coloured? Sometimes you get such a nice colour without even toning, and you know it won't fade either.

I have a question if any one can help.

Say the client has brown hair (around a base 6) and they are wanting ombré but with the whole hair coloured.

I.e if they want a base 5 on the root and then you have to lift the ends. What way around do you do it do you do it all in one go or do you lift the mid lengths and ends and then go through the top with a base 5? I always get in a mess! Thanks x

thanks! yeah she did love it. she had similar look last year so she had few lighter strands here and there but it was all grown out and i cut about 3 inches off before i did the balayage. the dark colour is her natural. I was so pleased especially as this was my first attempt! i loved doing it,im like bring it on,next client please! ha ha:)

yeah,that's it. we have a blue one. i also use it when im foiling really long hair ;)

thanks! yeah she did love it. she had similar look last year so she had few lighter strands here and there but it was all grown out and i cut about 3 inches off before i did the balayage. the dark colour is her natural. I was so pleased especially as this was my first attempt! i loved doing it,im like bring it on,next client please! ha ha:)

Wow thats fantastic for your first time!! You are gonna be unstoppable!! :D

Did you put the photo on instagram or twitter because id like to retweet it x

thanks :) no i haven't, im not on any of these sites. but feel free to copy it if it lets you

Latest posts

Back