How To: Balayage Ombre

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both of these are STUNNING.

And Adam, I love the step by step instructions. Just brilliant x

Every once in a blue moon, my cotton gets tangled under the hair. So when I try to remove before washing the client, it gets a bit stuck :eek: I think because some of the bleach touches it.

thanks :) no i haven't, im not on any of these sites. but feel free to copy it if it lets you

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Ahh shame you should get on instagram its a good source for inspiration x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Both of these are STUNNING.

And Adam, I love the step by step instructions. Just brilliant x

Every once in a blue moon, my cotton gets tangled under the hair. So when I try to remove before washing the client, it gets a bit stuck :eek: I think because some of the bleach touches it.

Haha I know what you mean about cotton wool, assistants hate it lol.

Ever since I started doing balayage we always run out of cotton wool haha.

And thank you :)

how can you do this technique and add a base colour along with it without getting into a mess?

I usually do this technique in meche packets then cololour rest of the hair but it dosent give same effect as this technique x

Let me first say that there are many great different techniques for creating ombre effects, and this is just one method that I use. However I have noticed that there are still many colourists asking about ombre techniques so I thought I would share some photos from earlier today. Enjoy!!!

YOU WILL NEED:
- Combs
- Sectioning Clips
- A Balayage Paddle
- Cling Film
- Tint Brushes (I like brush with softer bristles, one 1.5" wide and a thinner one for the finer highlights.)
- Prelightner mixed to a smooth paste (I use L'Oreal Platium Plus + 20 vol in a 1:2 ratio) It should be smooth but NOT runny, and the lightener should not dry out too quickly, or swell too much.

PREPARATION:
The colour placement should work with the clients natural hair texture, curl pattern, and partings. Take the time to correctly analise the clients hair and visualise you end result.

Working with the natural parting, section the front from the back by taking partings from where the head begins to to curve at the crown, to the ears on both sides.

Take two diagonal partings at the nape, about 2 - 3 cm deep, depending on the hair thickness & density.

9rqgSxum.jpg

APPLICATION:
Apply some prelightener to your paddle, and take a section 1 - 2" inches wide and hold the hair out with firm tension and begin applying the lightener to the mid-lenghs of the hair, the turn your brush vertically and sweep the lightener up the hair strand in a 'v' shape to create a soft blend. Up untill this point the lightener should only be painted on the surface on the hair strand. Finally lay the ends of the hair on the paddle and saturate them with lightener. It is very important that ONLY the ends are saturated to create a graduation of colour and to avoid stripy results. The hair should have an evan coating of lightener, so that the hair underneath cannot be seen.

7esNpN3m.jpg

Cover the section in cling film to prevent the lightener fron drying out, and to keep your sections seperated.

gJjsnqKm.jpg

Keep working up the hair in diagonal partings. The great thing about painting freehand is that you can vary the size and thickness of the sections as you wish. I did not want the end result to look solid on the ends so I left some hair uncoloured inbetween the sections that I painted.

As you work up the head, you may want to take smaller sections of hair.

isH3QVVm.jpg

Once the back is complete move onto the side sections. The hair is typically finer at the sides so I am more delicate with the application.

xT6jXMYm.jpg

FINAL APPLICATION:

zRVqMwbm.jpg

Rinse out each section, once the required lift is achived and finally tone the hair.

In this case I rinsed the colour at a level 8 yellow undercoat, and toned the hair using Dialight, 2 parts 7.23 + 1 part Clear + 6 vol, for 5 minutes.

BEFORE & AFTER:

fhSUGaJm.jpg

Wh0oZlKm.jpg

We were both pleased with the result and in real life the blend is softer that it looks in the photo.

If this helps just one person with their ombres, then I would be very happy, and I look forward to seeing everyone elses techniques - lets share & learn from each other! :)

edit: I have edited the image links, being on mobile, I had no idea how big they were - thanks Noodle x

Hi Adam, love your work. Hers my first balayage ombré..
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395923218.467223.jpg ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395923238.026858.jpg

I didn't tone as my client likes her hair quiet brassy.

I was just wondering if you had any techniques on doing balayage from blonde? Thanks x

View attachment 60133 View attachment 60134

I was just wondering if you had any techniques on doing balayage from blonde? Thanks x

Hey shelby it looks great!
If I am taking someone from blonde to ombre if it only a few levels darker i try to use a demi permanent and I use label.m magic foil (meche) to seperate the sections and feather the colour down some higher up, some lower down.

So it looks like this while developing:
JYSMTfDm.jpg

I'll try and take some more pictures some time.

Good work! :thumbup: x

Love this technique. I always try and think of different ways to do this. I have never used a paddle tho what is this?

View attachment 60133 View attachment 60134

Have you got any before and after pics of when you did mine Shelby? Xxx

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Love this technique. I always try and think of different ways to do this. I have never used a paddle tho what is this?

These x
iYZ5VG4m.jpg

Have you got any before and after pics of when you did mine Shelby? Xxx

Do you guys work together??

Do you guys work together??

We trained together and are still good friends. The only person that touches my hair haha

Hey shelby it looks great!
If I am taking someone from blonde to ombre if it only a few levels darker i try to use a demi permanent and I use label.m magic foil (meche) to seperate the sections and feather the colour down some higher up, some lower down.

So it looks like this while developing:
JYSMTfDm.jpg

I'll try and take some more pictures some time.

Good work! :thumbup: x

Thank you! Yeah more photos would e good love your work!

This was Amber's we did awhile back but you can't tell as much on the photo.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396013465.388601.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396013477.601706.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396796424.681544.jpg

Had a little play with balayage yesterday using Infinie Platine and 9%, toning mid with 8/73 and 8/71 and 1.9%. I didn't use any cling film to separate sections.

Would love to get hold of the Toni & guy clear mech that you used Adam but can't track any down.

And I also wanted to bump this thread as it's fab!

View attachment 61118

Had a little play with balayage yesterday using Infinie Platine and 9%, toning mid with 8/73 and 8/71 and 1.9%. I didn't use any cling film to separate sections.

Would love to get hold of the Toni & guy clear mech that you used Adam but can't track any down.

And I also wanted to bump this thread as it's fab!

That look sooo awesome especially with the dark fringe! <3 I'll look into the meche x

Thanks Adam. Yes, let me know where to get it from. I had to keep touching up with the lightener as it was drying out.

Just wondered if there was a difference between using cling film instead of foils for this? Is it just so you can see the development easier? Sorry if that seemed a stupid question?

These x
iYZ5VG4m.jpg

Where did u get these from? I've been trying to get hold of some for ages!!

I personally think cling film is easier because you can see the previous section underneath which helps when you are working visually. It is also quicker than using lots of foils and you can gently place the cling film over the sections because to dont want to mess arround/smudge the colour.

Saying that some really awesome colourists use foil for their ombre, so its whatever works for you. X

Where did u get these from? I've been trying to get hold of some for ages!!

They are the L'Oreal Platinium ones. You might be able to get some if you have a L'Oreal rep, I've never seen them for sale but they are my favourites.

If you just want a regular plastic paddle essentials in the UK sell cheap ones: http://www.essentialsuk.com/shop/search.php?q=balayage&search.x=12&search.y=11

And Jamison Shaw in Atlanta sell a nice paddle. Siggers also in Atlanta sell the wooden ones if you like them. X

Latest posts

Back