How to get your hours in Ontario?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently completed a hairstyling program (1500 hours) at a hairstyling school in Ontario. A local salon offered to take me on as an 'apprentice' but couldn't afford to pay me. I agreed because, at the time, getting my 2000 apprenticeship hours meant more than making money right away.

I later found out that, for various reasons, the owner could not take me on as a registered (by the Ministry of Training of Colleges and Universities) apprentice.

Are the months I spent at this salon wasted or can I find a way to have them count towards apprenticeship hours and/or writing my cosmetology exam?

MTCU keeps telling me, no... but it's in their best interests (as MTCU employees) to tell me their route is the only way.

If the Ministry of Training of Colleges and Universities is your hairdressing regulatory body, then I'm guessing they have the final say in a situation such as yours.

What is the Ontario College of Trades? How do they relate to the MTCU? Perhaps you could take your query up with them.

Thanks! I just emailed the Ontario Colleges of Trades service sector branch, which includes hairstyling.

I may call their general line later in the day if I do not get a response.

Latest posts

Back