How to keep spray tan area clean?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paige@TheClinik

Reaction score
I'm trying to convince my grandma (salon owner) to let us do spray tans, it's been requested by majority of our clients and she doesn't want one because of the mess it made in a previous salon 10yr ago!!
My questions are, has the system advanced and how do you avoid tan on the floors walls and everywhere else?

Thanks in advance ladies!
Xx

I do them at home and I have cream walls, splashback is minimal in the tent but I'm not sure I could say the same about one of the stands as they must splash off the back I imagine.

I've been doing this for 3 years and the only time I had a problem with mess was when I put the tube on the wrong part of the gun (I'm very clumsy!) and it squirted out and backfired at me and the wall and every single one of my products and equipment and stained all the lovely packaging. But it is easily cleaned up (just make sure you have gloves on!!)

As for cleaning up the tent, I have a towel inside it for when I'm spraying so there's no puddles left, and use a multipurpose cleaner on the windows followed by window cleaner as they can go a little brown after a few uses. The actual tent material cannot be cleaned successfully it just foams up and looks worse, I would advise against it. They only cost £40 and I've gone through 2, so would buy another one should it get really really dirty.

The floor..I have a wooden floor I would not do a tan in a room with carpet. To keep it clean I take off their sticky feet, wipe their foot with baby wipe and then put it on a clean towel and repeat with other foot. Ask them to do a wiggle and then when dry can walk around. As previously I used to wonder why I would get brown feet myself when I'm in 'home' mode and obviously it was residue.

With the cream walls it means I can use bleach without ruining the paintwork and if there's a splash I can wipe it away with a sponge and wahsing up liquid but that doesn't happen often. Tents are kept n bags but mine is very tough so cant fold away, so it leans against a wall which does get blotchy but its not visible and Ive just cleaned it for the first time as its never been bad before.

Definately convince your nan, its my most popular treatment :)

I agree with House Beauty. If you properly trained and using the correct equipment, the product excess is minimal. I have a home salon and provide tans in a pop up tent. Everyday cleaning products remove any spray tan splash backs. Ands for cleaning the tent. I just pop it in the shower 😊 it does the trick!!

Hi
I'm a Spray Tan Trainer in West Yorkshire and you definitely need to keep the tent clean. If you are tanning every day then clean it every day. You can either take it outside use everyday cleaning products and then hose it down with a hosepipe or do it in the shower. If you leave the tent you will get areas that go green and also it will smell.

You can buy an extractor which sits at the back of the tent where the zip area is. This will collect most of the mist but not all of it. Also you need to do it in a well ventilated area, where is there is an opening window.

Happy Tanning :)

Proper training, knowing your gun and the guns settings you will have very minimal overspray or mess.

It takes a bit of practice but once you have the right settings for you set on the gun you'll have no problems.

Have an extractor fan or booth with built in extractor (which is what I have)

Using too much solution on a high setting, being slow at tanning or too far away from the client will create overspray and mess which can lead to the dreaded green skirting boards lol which does not stain and washes off very easily.

I have a new client who cannot walk up and down stairs (my tan room is downstairs) so I brought up my gun into the upstairs back beauty room and just laid down a towel on the floor. Didn't use my booth, tent or any kind of protection other than the towel and had no over spray or mess what so ever.

Having gun on a low setting, standing close to the client and being quick will eliminate pretty much any overspray meaning no mess :)

Hope this helps x

Felicity xx

If U able to do them on bathroom with a shower is best then afterwards you can hose it down. It's easiest option for my own salon. But if u don't then I would think a pop up rent next best.
I did a model shoot spray wk end nd only area I had was the kitchen bcoz was best lighting and pop up tent wAs great no mess on the floors or walls

Beauty at your finger tips!

Thank you ladies! I have shown her all your replies and she hasn't said the word yes but we have been looking at brands and training, all the therapists including with previous tanning experience will be training with the brand we chose, which is looking like Sienna X!
You've all been a great help xx

I would suggest that you invest in an extractor fan or extractor system if you are worried about the mess. As pp's have posted if you are spraying correctly then the over spray will be minimal. The very nature of spray tanning will mean that some of the solution particles will be airborne and you will likely find a fine layer of solution settles around the room. An extractor should help eliminate this.

I have been tanning for 3 years and use around 35-40ml per tan, I have very little over spray. I still find that the solution gets in the air and settles on things. I have a purpose built cabin in my garden just for tanning as I didn't want the mess in my house!

In terms of brand take a look at Nouvatan. Its a good quality solution that offers good value for money. The customer service is fab too. I would 100% recommend it over Sienna X:)

I always used my spray tan in my house to do tans at first and I never had tan go everywhere but I've just started renting out a beauty room that is beyond tiny so not able to fit in a spray tan tent so I invested in the Spray Tan Curtain, tan is everywhere already going to have to buy one of those decorating clear plastic sheets I think :( x

Every now and then i bring the tent home to give it a wash in the garden on a sunny day.

I use warm soapy water then rinse with the hose after. Works a treat :hug:

Latest posts

Back