How to minimise l&p smells?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajshard

Reaction score
I did my sister a set of nails this morning, we did them in the kitchen and I kept the window open but the house really smells still. I cleaned my tools straight after and tied all the tissue etc in a nappy sack and threw it out. Is there anything else I can do, I really dont like the smell lingering after i have finished.

Thanks
AJ x

I did my sister a set of nails this morning, we did them in the kitchen and I kept the window open but the house really smells still. I cleaned my tools straight after and tied all the tissue etc in a nappy sack and threw it out. Is there anything else I can do, I really dont like the smell lingering after i have finished.

Thanks
AJ x

The best way to minimise the smell is to dampen a nail wipe with sanitiser and use that to wipe your brush on. If you wipe your brush on your couch roll the liquid spreads and gives off more smell, the sanitiser keeps the smell in one place.

Also, use a metal bin and empty it regularly. Nappy sacks don't contain smells because the odour passes through the plastic bag, a metal bin contains it.

Those 2 things will make a huge difference.

Hth's

Thankyou so much, will try both of those when I do my next set, I do have a metal bin but was told it was just as good to use a nappy sack, I think cos I plan to be mobile? I have been wiping my brush on dry table wipes so will definately try the sanitiser trick :lol:

Fingers crossed this will sort it, I am loving l&p so really want to stick with it

Thanks
AJ x

You know what? Call me mad but I LOVE my retenton+ and attraction Monomer smell!! Cos to me it means nails, art, me! Crazy I know. (I do understand why others are not so keen though) 7 yrs on and I still love the smell.

Totally agree Vickie!!

Reminds me of when I first had extensions put on, and probably led me into getting into nails and taking a course (lol without sounding like a drug addict!) love the way it looks, feels, smells and works:eek::)

Sorry *Nickie lol see thats what happens when you work with is 5 days a wk!

Hi, I use NSI Spa liquid which is odourless, maybe you should give that a try if the smell is really getting to you! xx

Hehe Tasha, same here. Very first time I got my first set put on I was addicted and that was that, I had to learn it!! I was fortunate that it was a CND tech that did them for me so thats where I trained :) LOVE it.

I find burning a candle helps :hug:

I find burning a candle helps :hug:

I hope you mean after your service is finished, and all your supplies are packed away and out of the room! Otherwise you might blow yourself up to kingdom come!

LOL I also had the same thought but didnt like to say or know how to say it... lol well put Dawn.

I hope you mean after your service is finished, and all your supplies are packed away and out of the room! Otherwise you might blow yourself up to kingdom come!
No actually I burn candles in my room during all my treatments saying that they are on top of my display unit away from all my products:)

The best thing to get rid of the smell is to not use that type of monomer. There are odorless monomers out there that work quite well. There are also other products out there that you can use that make great quality nails.....gel, silk/fiberglass, and resin acrylic dip systems.

No matter what you try to do, just having the monomer on your brush will cause the odor to fill up a space varily quickly in a short amount of time.

Vetty's advice is fab (as per!) :green:

There was another similar thread to this recently, click here...

Also, remember that using odourless monomer doesn't mean there is no vapour, it means you can't smell it, but it's still there!
Plus, odourless monomer is higher on the sensitivity ladder than regular monomer.

hth's a bit!

No actually I burn candles in my room during all my treatments saying that they are on top of my display unit away from all my products:)

Glad to hear it, Karen! I hope you don't think I was picking on you too much, I know you are a professional and use safe practice, but there are so many people new to the industry that seem to think this is an okay thing to do.

I know I sound like a nag about this issue - I just don't know many times I've seen it or heard about it in forums... people using candles ON THEIR WORKSPACE while they are working with nail product! To me, that ranks right up there with putting acetone in the microwave - it's just asking for a fire or explosion. I have battery operated LED candles in my studio, and I make my mobile clients blow their candles out if they have them in the room we work in - I just don't feel like taking a chance like that.

OP - definately look into the odor-minimising tips Vetty gave you as they will help a lot. And Sandi's right about the odor-free products - they still have vapour and are still "there" even if you can't smell them. I have a husband that hates monomer smell and I've had to be clever as well to work around him and his sensitive nose, so I know where you are coming from!

Take care and good luck!

when i was mobile, i used a plastic container with a lid to keep all my used wipes etc in. I found it helped to keep the smells down to a minimum in the car! I never left any of my rubbish at the clients house and I always asked them to ventilate the room after .

I also love the smell of retention............so wrong and wierd , but i do.

I also love the smell of retention............so wrong and wierd , but i do.
Me too :green:

I think it was Gigi who said (a while back now): Monomer = money!

So very true, maybe that's why we love the smell of it so much? :lol:

Me too :green:

I think it was Gigi who said (a while back now): Monomer = money!

So very true, maybe that's why we love the smell of it so much? :lol:

Ahh maybe that's the problem, im still training and not charging, the love is yet to come!!!! :hug:

Latest posts

Back