How to paint a gel white tip please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vidavooz

Reaction score
First of all hello! I am new here.
I am a beauty therapist and qualified to do nail extensions in Feb this year. Unfortunately I haven't done much with it since then. This friday I have to do a full set and she wants the white tips painted on (don't worry I am not charging her!!).
On my course we were just shown clear gel. So I have now brought a new clear and a white UV gel from "the edge" (I realise they are not the best product but I just need practice to start with).
How do I paint the white tip - I have seen people sort of pushing the white up towards the cuticle area, or would I do it the same as a french manicure and paint across?
Should I put a coat of clear first? Just one coat of white?
Sorry for all the questions :confused:
thanks

Hello!! Welcome to the site!!

It's hard to explain really! If you do a search for million dollar smiles then that should help!! It's a tutorial about smile lines, it is with liquid and powder but it might give you some pointers! I do my whites the same with gel and l & p anyway so it should be useful!!

HTH

Tilly xx

vidavooz said:
First of all hello! I am new here.
I am a beauty therapist and qualified to do nail extensions in Feb this year. Unfortunately I haven't done much with it since then. This friday I have to do a full set and she wants the white tips painted on (don't worry I am not charging her!!).
On my course we were just shown clear gel. So I have now brought a new clear and a white UV gel from "the edge" (I realise they are not the best product but I just need practice to start with).
How do I paint the white tip - I have seen people sort of pushing the white up towards the cuticle area, or would I do it the same as a french manicure and paint across?
Should I put a coat of clear first? Just one coat of white?
Sorry for all the questions :confused:
thanks
Hello and welcome to the site, its a fab place and I hope you stay and enjoy for a long time to come!
A lot of courses only teach you clear application and you would do well to get some extra help to do a french look but I`ll help if I can.
I always do a pink or clear layer first, then paint on the white, then either go over the whole lot with clear, making sure not to have a dip behind the white or I do pink in zones 2 and 3 then another layer of clear over the whole lot.
The reason I put a clear or pink layer on first is because you need to use a primer first and you can then seal the nail before the primer stops working.
You haven`t said what white gel you use as they have different cure times, the ordinary white gel isn`t very white but the hollywood white is and it takes longer to cure but I think the consistency is pretty much the same.
You can just paint it on or push it up to the smile line, it depends on how you want to perfect the technique but if you play too much with it you can put bubbles in it so beware of that.
Have you seen anyone apply french gel?
Its a good idea to watch someone if you can`t afford to get extra help.
I personally don`t like edge but thats not to say you won`t get on with it so don`t ever excuse your products, just make sure you get the best from it.
I hope I`ve helped somewhat, although I feel I`ve waffled a bit so I`ll shut up now!

Hiya .....

another good way if your new to doing it is to use a dotting tool or a cocktail stick....dip into the white then sort of dab a smile line on then you can just fill in the rest with your brush upto what you have already done. HTH xxx

Hi there and thanks for the replies. I have decided now that for Friday I would be best sticking to my clear gel and painting on a french manicure after. It is for a special occasion for this lady and I don't want to stress about messing it up. I will practice on some friends first before putting myself under the pressure.

I was also thinking about returning the edge gel products and buying something a bit better that i could stick with. Any recommendations please?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back