how to take on an apprentice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emzil16

Reaction score
hi i am currently a beauty therapist but would like to also branch out into hair, i have a room within a hair salon at the moment and was wondering how the salon owner could go about taking me on as an apprentice and what help there is about for her to fund me or if thats even an option. im in scotland so dont know if that make s any difference. any help much appreciated.

No salon owners that can help?

In England you can get info from
your local college. I had a lady pop into salon with info, she told me it has changed recently. You pay them £90 a week and after 20 weeks the government give you £1000.
Don't know if it's the same in Scotland because your government makes it's own decisions on particular issues!

HTH

In England the £1000 the Government give you is subject to area :(, very annoying! They have changed the rate you pay and apprentice too, in England, to £2.50 and hour.
I have always employed the apprentice first, then run the local college to get training an information on how to proceed, as it is always changing!

This website might help http://www.careers-scotland.org.uk/Education/Training/ModernApprenticeship.asp

Thanks for your help, have emailed the college but they have nt got back to me yet

I'm not sure about Scotland but in England the salon pays a fee (£100) to the recognised college/training school (so I have been told). Salon owner pays the apprentice £2.50 an hour. This has recently changed it was £95.00 for up to a 40-45 hour week and you have to bear in mind the age of the apprentice and keep within those guidelines.

The college/training school will visit the salon and check Health & Safety procedures in place at the salon your working in.

We will be putting our Saturday girl through an apprenticeship when she leaves school this year. I understand you apply nearer their school leaving date and fill in relevant forms etc.

Could you approach the salon owner where you currently work, they maybe aware of all the rules and regulations. Especially if they have put previous staff members through an apprenticeship in the past.

You could maybe try www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId...type...

(I'm not sure if covers Scotland though)

HTH

I'm not sure about Scotland but in England the salon pays a fee (£100) to the recognised college/training school

I think this probably applies from college to college. I have never had to pay anything to my local college. :)

It turns out that i'm too old to be any kind of apprentice at the ripe age o 28, I either have to go to college full time and pay fee s as have done an svq for beauty therapy or het into a salon that has a assesor for hairdressing and pay fee s to be certificated, o well

I think this probably applies from college to college. I have never had to pay anything to my local college. :)

Ooh, thank you for that. I phoned a training school last week and that's what they told me. In fact they said it had gone up from £80 to £100 so will have to look further into it

Sent from my HTC Desire

Latest posts

Back