How young is too young for hair colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foundlings

Reaction score
This is always a bit of a tricky one for me, I have a lot of teenaged clients, and an increasing amount want serious grown up colouring - full heads of highlights, tints, fashion colours, stuff which needs upkeep and commitment.

I spent most of my teenage years messing about a bit with my hair colour at home (pre-training of course!) so can totally understand the experimentation, but when is too early to start all that? I know others who have done highlights on kids of about 10 or 11 and can't help feeling a bit uncomfortable with it. Can't a kid just be a kid? Anyone else have an opinion on it?

I too am a little sad about it, but if you dont do it, they will either do it themselves or go elsewhere.
At least they are having it done properly.

I try to keep a rough rule of high school age...and again I know this is just because of me, not because of any scientific reason why I shouldn't be doing it. But I was P7 when I first got mine coloured...What I struggle with is how much to charge them? They are quite often getting the same amount of work as an adult but you feel you can't charge as much. Is it just me?

I charge the same.

It is better for them to have it done professionally and safely with us. I bet most of the home do's dont bother with a skin test.I just will take longer to explain the time and cost of the maintance of the look they are wanting to achieve.

I cahrge the same too. As said above, they will go else where or over to the chemist instead, so if their parents ask me to do it, I warn about the maintence etc and if they still want it, then I'm more than happy to do it ;)

I tend to do it if they are over the age of about 13, and steer them towards a lower maintenance look because I find that they don't come back regularly enough! My younger clients are quite good in terms of using home colours and tend to wait until they can afford me doing their hair again rather than waiting and doing it themselves!

The salon at college have an age limit of 14 for any service it says it on the front desk but i dont know if thats just because we are training or what? xx

I try to keep a rough rule of high school age...and again I know this is just because of me, not because of any scientific reason why I shouldn't be doing it. But I was P7 when I first got mine coloured...What I struggle with is how much to charge them? They are quite often getting the same amount of work as an adult but you feel you can't charge as much. Is it just me?

Yeah I was always in the habit of doing under 16's half price for colour but they are wanting more technical and more time consuming services than most adults so really need to change that as it makes me resent doing their hair even more!

I give students 10% off, so I give school kids that too, if they are getting colour. But you are right! Most of them have more colour done than any of us!!!

Latest posts

Back