How's it going with Custom Blending?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandini

Reaction score
Hi all

Was interested to see how everyone was doing with the Custom Blended Manicure era - how it's going in the salon, prices, timing etc....

I find alot of my students asking questions and would love to know your thoughts and queries.....

Hi Amanda,

I have made up a blend but it is not the right colour and I cannot seem to work out how to sort it - I might have to book in with a 1-2-1 with you to get more insight LOL.

i was also thinking of booking a 1 to 1 on custom blending as it is something i really want to do right, I think i will book it once i have moved to hampshire next month xx

Hello you x

PM me if you need 1-2-1. In the meantime - tell me why the colour is wrong! Too red, too blue, too.....

I have done a few custom blends...I have to say I did,like Fiona find it difficult to make my base mix and then get into the cool and warm blends...I now have managed to make a cool pot and a warm pot ...now I know that I should charge biters etc more for this camouflage service, but so far I haven't ...Mandini...how would you sell it to your clients as in an add on service...higher price....maybe I undersell myself .. some selling tips would be appreciated!

Hi Cathie

Firstly it's important to help your clients understand that this really is a premium service. Use colour pops or the nail trainer to explain why a longer nail bed works - some clients can't really "see" it. Do one deliberately with a short nail bed and long white (horrid!) and then go to town on a lovely long plate with a really smiley smile. How much do you charge now for your full sets and rebalances?

35 for full set and from 18.50 for rebalance depending on time between appointments....you are right, I guess I have to show them the difference between stubby and beautiful and then maybe they would pay the £5 extra that I might charge for a custom blend lol!

That's true! Also - you can print off the editorials of Custom Blending that have appeared in magazines off the Creative Nail Design website - this might inspire your clients too. This is one service that NSS will never be able to offer - this is our chance to be true artists and to turn nail technology into something it deserves to be:

You don't use the same foundation on everyone
You don't use the same hair colour on everyone

Perhaps if you do a spring summer 2006 promotion - and not charge immediately - these custom blend clients will do your advertising for you - RESULT!!

Mandini said:
Hello you x

PM me if you need 1-2-1. In the meantime - tell me why the colour is wrong! Too red, too blue, too.....

I tried it on the nail trainer and it looked quite good but when I finished it off it almost looked grubby - maybe there was too much melting pot. I think the problem is that I ran out of flawless so tried to make some kind of equation with what I had LOL.

I should probably buy some more Flawless and start again from scratch.

I will be in touch about the 1-2-1 though.

Mandini said:
That's true! Also - you can print off the editorials of Custom Blending that have appeared in magazines off the Creative Nail Design website - this might inspire your clients too. This is one service that NSS will never be able to offer - this is our chance to be true artists and to turn nail technology into something it deserves to be:

You don't use the same foundation on everyone
You don't use the same hair colour on everyone

Perhaps if you do a spring summer 2006 promotion - and not charge immediately - these custom blend clients will do your advertising for you - RESULT!!

Aha... custom blend to mask the damage done by NSS...

The thing I don't like about the custom blends I do...maybe it's just me....is when they start to grow out and it looks well obvious....I don't want them to look like stick ons lol

sam mentioned at excel that the cbm class was being taken out of the master route, i contacted leeds and they said that this isn't happening till April they think. So once this changes over i will get booked on... any news on that front amanda ?

NailsNovice said:
sam mentioned at excel that the cbm class was being taken out of the master route, i contacted leeds and they said that this isn't happening till April they think. So once this changes over i will get booked on... any news on that front amanda ?

Yep - there going to open it up now to everyone - it's a great move - a wonderful technique.

naturalnails said:
I tried it on the nail trainer and it looked quite good but when I finished it off it almost looked grubby - maybe there was too much melting pot. I think the problem is that I ran out of flawless so tried to make some kind of equation with what I had LOL.

I should probably buy some more Flawless and start again from scratch.

I will be in touch about the 1-2-1 though.

Hi Fi

The nail trainer nails are ever so pink - which is a relative of red - try knocking it out with green - scary - but it works a treat on damaged nails plates mixed with clear.
:green:

I've found it excellent i use it for nail repairs, if someone breaks a corner off their nail and are going out. I havent tested on clients but on friends and they ahve all been really impressed with the results, so for me its been an excelelnt add on and i get to practise my sculpting skills in small areas at the same time.

have foudn though soemtimes its really ahrd to get that tip colour right and still not sure of what colour i shoudl be addign to it to corrct it, so thats good new thats its been taken out fo the amster clsses adn made avaialable to all.

I have placed a couple of pictures in the gallery - any advice would be greatly received.

I love it!

I have mixed the 3 shades in the tutorials and keep them in seperate pots in my case so they can just be adjusted if needed.

I have only tried it on nail biters at the mo to extend the nail beds and it looks great!

I'm not charging extra for this yet as i'm only playing around but I hope to get on a training course soon.

XXX

naturalnails said:
I have placed a couple of pictures in the gallery - any advice would be greatly received.

Looking really nice - did you use Spanish Tile in there.... it maybe the piccy, but sometimes it can leave a grainy appearance - little red specs - it seems to be the nature of this powder - I've ground it down before now in a pestle and mortar!!

Yes, I did - after I made the mix I read something about grinding it - I will know for the future LOL.

Latest posts

Back