I dont like etching ...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e_lucy

Reaction score
You fellow Geeks are always so great at giving advice so I thought Id try you at this one ...

In my course we were taught to buff off the shine, then etch post sterilisation of the nail and surrounding area. They did however tell us that there are issues around whether to etch or not - but in this course you were expected to etch.

So ok, I can, and i passed - BUT I just hate doing it. It doesnt feel right to me, so what is everyones thoughts on etching - do you HAVE to do it ? Who does and who doesnt ? Is NOT etching as long as you have removed shine with the buffer and primed the nail going to make much difference ?

Comments as ever please :green:

Hi,

if you are using a good quality product then all that is needed is the shine removed. A good quality product will bond with the keratin in the nails so the more that is there, the better the bond.

A poorer quality product needs nooks and crannys to bond to hence the "etching".

You stick with your gut instincts girl and if you are using a product that needs the natural nails to be trashed to adhere, then look to changing.

After removing any living tissue you take off the shine, then you sanitise the nail.

Hope that helps x

e_lucy said:
You fellow Geeks are always so great at giving advice so I thought Id try you at this one ...

In my course we were taught to buff off the shine, then etch post sterilisation of the nail and surrounding area. They did however tell us that there are issues around whether to etch or not - but in this course you were expected to etch.

So ok, I can, and i passed - BUT I just hate doing it. It doesnt feel right to me, so what is everyones thoughts on etching - do you HAVE to do it ? Who does and who doesnt ? Is NOT etching as long as you have removed shine with the buffer and primed the nail going to make much difference ?

Comments as ever please :green:

hi hun

i spose it depends what you define as 'etching' what grit are you using?

I do it how i was taught with creative, with a 240 grit koala buffer start at the side wall and go from free edge to cuticle ONLY ONCE .

If your using a mega harsh grit directly on the nail plate you will be 'removing' more than u need to.

Amb xxxx

the theory on etching is that it leaves behind little grooves that the product can get a good foothold in. but nowadays most products are superior formulations that will hold up with minimal assistance, so we now only advise removing the shine as this is much kinder to the natural nail. as long as your cuticle removal and dehydration is very thorough and you are applying a reputable product in the correct manner, you need not 'etch'.

suey said:
After removing any living tissue you take off the shine, then you sanitise the nail.

Hope that helps x

I know im a plank arent i - i just notice id typed that the wrong way round ! I rush when im at work so the boss doesnt catch me on the net ! (work in an office right now ... yawn! )

Latest posts

Back