I don't want to use an electric drill!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having been dead against the use of a drill for years (who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?) I now love my KUPA drill/efile and use it before every rebalance I do.

I have never have much filing to do really, at least not near the new nail growth but now, everyone wants Forever French rebalances and it is just so much quicker to use the KUPA AND if we get a client from another salon and we have to carry out major re-construction work, my lord, I don't know how we used to do it before and all in the hour allotted .... Well, I do ... With blood sweat and tears lol.

The hand piece of the drill is so light and it just feels like drawing with a crayon ... I actually think I am softer and even more gentle with the drill than with the hand file ... But it is all in the technique and in the love and care with which you handle it. Excellent training is a must of course, and with an expert.

I would learn if I were you and teach your clients how brilliant you are at using it. There is no damage at all when you know how ... If there were, I wouldn't use one .... They certainly have changed since 'I were a lad' and was introduced to the Dremmel!! : lol. :suprised: I love learning new things and I love using my KUPA.

I have to agree here, and this old dog in definitely considering training in the use of an e-file too !!
I do sculpt with my brush, and I don't see I will need one for new sets, but for rebalances and replacing colour on design nails I think it would be a great tool to use, and cut down on time and wear and tear on my elbow !!

id be lost with out my efile! yes i can and do sculpt with my brush but i cannot physically hand file clients back to back all day long in salon, even buffing makes me achy!

if you are looking to replace your cheaper one, the hand piece is sooo important, it has to have minimal vibration and have the right weight and balance for your hand as well as the number of bearing cases in the hand piece which help keep the drill bits straight.

With drill bits you have 3 options really, carbide, diamond or arbor/sanding bands: carbide cut (or shave) the product rather than 'file' it down so these are ace for removing bulk and if used correctly create no friction/heat build up. Diamond are better when prepping and buffing imo they are more like filing paper as they 'file' and grind the product down. Arbor bands are little wheels (or sanding bands) made up of filing paper and are used on a mandrel, they are disposable so you can use a new one on each client, altho you have to be careful to avoid friction build up as they are the worst for this, they are good to use when removing gel etc.

When using my efile i still aways hand file before i buff and finish my buffing by hand too as if you use a chamois buffing bit they can build up lots of heat and this can be uncomfortable for the client.

there are lots of efiles on the market in varying prices, but do take into account all the aspects mentioned about the hand piece
efiles i'd reccomend are of good and equal quality: medicool nail glide 2100, most kupa or upower efiles... (unfortnately ezflow stopped making their efile years ago but mine is still going strong!)
i dont really many more makes as i have no experience with them...

hth

Jess x

EzFlow Master Artist Educator
www.polishednailsalon.co.uk ..... EzFlow Education for Sussex & Surrey

I had to fix a nail on a lady today who only had them on a few days so still very solid elsewhere on nail, she had cracked the tip in half, so had her sat there for the lengthly time it takes to soak the acrylic off for one nail! i the end i decided to file instead of soak and remembered why i changed from Gel to l&p!! arm ache! for £3! :( perfect time for an efile!

Mizzydizzy - Where did you try the efile? i need to try one. Any techs in east anglia on here that could do my nails with one so i can see how its properly used?

I had to fix a nail on a lady today who only had them on a few days so still very solid elsewhere on nail, she had cracked the tip in half, so had her sat there for the lengthly time it takes to soak the acrylic off for one nail! i the end i decided to file instead of soak and remembered why i changed from Gel to l&p!! arm ache! for £3! :( perfect time for an efile!

Mizzydizzy - Where did you try the efile? i need to try one. Any techs in east anglia on here that could do my nails with one so i can see how its properly used?

best thing to do is some education, just being shown by another tech will not mean your covered in your insurance hun, there are lots of companies that offer efile training, sometimes this is free when purchasing your efile

I was lucky enough to try the kupa one sweet squared sell at the EVENT with Julia Moran .

I'm booked in for the class it's quite expensive but you get the E-file with that and of course the training ,

Like anything I'm sure it will still take time to learn , even hand filing dose but I'm sure it will be Easier using an amazing tool like that :)

Latest posts

Back