I lost my fur friend

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini4mum

Reaction score
This is SO hard.

I am a mum of four, and a wife, and I have two lovely Wheatons (dogs)

But in November 2010 I acquired a very fat over weight miserable schnauzer. His name Rufus. He was a miserable sod. But got on well with my other two dogs (a bitch & a very submissive dog). Over a period of time, I got him better, I knew he had a thyroid problem, (as I have) so I got him medication and tested (which costs a small fortune), he had problems with his cholesterol - so expensive prescription food was ordered. Lots of exercise, with the other two, made him fit as a fiddle.

But at Christmas 2011, he turned on the other two dogs.... he fought tooth and nail.... I got caught in the middle (unfortunately on Christmas Day -without a voice as I had laryngitis) and I got bitten by him and by the bitch...

I crated them both. As I couldn't talk, to give orders. I was totally distraught. I cried all Christmas. My poor kids.

The next incident was boxing day and the same thing happened again. This time Rufus bit SO hard we thought he broke his jaw - infact he broke 13 teeth and cost us another fortune, seeing the vet on Boxing day!

He went in for an op and they removed 13 teeth from the bottom. When he came round he wasn't the same dog. But he probably wasn't anyway, I think something was amiss long before the first incident.

Long story short, I had him put to sleep on 3rd January. I still feel sick every time I think of it. Worse things happened on New Years eve. I don't want to think about it let alone tap it up.

My issue is:- i got his ashes back in January, but I AM still so sad. I cried today, its warm and he loved sitting out in the sunshine - he hated the cold!! I miss him so much. I only had him for such a short time..... but he really touched me.

I don't need any replies...... I have no one else I can say this to. So I am offering up to the ether, as I know there will be others in my position..... and I am thinking of you and your FUR FRIENDS......:hug:

Losing someone you love will always hurt. It doesn't get better but easier to appreciate what you had rather than mourn for it x

Awww, I'm sorry, I know how you feel, just try to think of the good times and of him sitting out in the sun.

I had a German Shepherd and had to have him put to sleep. That was over ten years ago and I still think of him and get upset thinking of that day. I told myself never again will I get another animal, I was devastated!

I got another dog and a cat, then one day I got a call saying my cat had been found (she was chipped) and she was dead. Long story short it turned out a lad had shot her out of his bedroom window! Worse was that he lives down the street. Police wouldn't do a thing even though had been named by most of the village!

I now have 2 dogs and 3 Cats!!!!!
One of my dogs is nearly 16, I got him when he was 2 from a rescue home. He is such a character and has cost me a fortune too and I keep thinking he won't have long left and it devastates me to think about it. He is still happy and lively and runs round like a puppy sometimes but I know that day will come and I have been there before.

I just think of all the good times, and when they have made me laugh.
Hope you can too :) x

Oh hun you really touched me with your story and I shed a little tear.

I fully understand you. I still miss my cat I lost over 10 years ago because there was no cat like my Clyde never before and there won't be after! He was my boy!

We love animals like people. Sometimes even more!

Oh I am so sorry. It's so hard isn't it. I had to have my Greyhound pts due to cancer, just over 3 years ago, shortly before Christmas, we didn't have a Christmas in our house that year. I adored him and i miss him every single day. I had a private cremation and i have his ashes in a beautiful bespoke casket. I have a memorial page for him on Gone Too Soon, that helps. I hope you feel better as soon as you can, he knew you loved him, that's one comforting thought.

I couldn't read and run either. I think the absolute world of my dog. He's now 4 and has years left in him but i catch myself thinking about how I would feel when he is gone. And it scares me :(

In 2008 I lost my baby 2 weeks before he was born. Naturally I was devastated and I still hurt every single day. However, one day a few weeks after my loss I went to a garden centre looking for plants for my babys grave and there was a little pet shop out the back. An hour later I came out with my own little fur baby puppy. In a funny kind of way he filled that void in my life at that time and made my pain a little more bearable.

I think there is an incredible bond between people and animals. I know I even miss my little dog while I'm at work and i look forward to his happy little face when I walk in the door. I really do understand how much you miss him because I would too. Please don't be sad. You did what you had to do. Just keep the happy memories with you.

Big hugs xx

Sent from my HTC Sensation using SalonGeek

I feel so sad for you minimum. In 2009 I lost my pooch who had lived with my parents for years and with me for about a year when they moved abroad. We went on holiday to see them and left Evita with a member of my oh's familly. To cut a long story short he didn't take proper care of her because of his own 'problems' and she died. It was the worst feeling, even worse knowing that she went before her time and far away from me. I'm getting upset just thinking about it so will cut short, sorry.

We got a new dog withing 2months but still now I cry over her. I hope you feel better soon.

Lots of love and hugs Air x

Latest posts

Back