I need some advice please re advertising

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klk91

Reaction score
Hello,

Im really nervous about getting my first real client but know it has to happen someday. I've been qualified in manicure and gel polish application for just over a month now. Ive been practising hard on family and friends and now think im ready to get some real clients (even tho im nervous)

Ive made myself a little poster so I can start advertising over facebook to begin with.

I just wanted some peoples opinions on it please :)

Thanks in advance x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1398180470683.jpg
    1398180470683.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 279
Where are you planning to put the posters? I'd add your contact number and maybe a little bit about gel nails?

It was just to put over facebook for the time being until I get some business cards made.

Stupidly enough I didnt think about contact number I just thought they could messege me through Facebook haha.

Thanks for your advice x

I know your newly qualified & want to gain experience, but start as you mean to go on. By all means do friends & family for £10 whilst you do this.

You will only attract bargain hunters at £10. These will swiftly move on to the next bargain when yours has finished.

In my honest opinion the business like pages (you arent suppose to have a friend page for a business) are good for keeping in touch with clients, (even this is harder now though as not everyone who has liked your page will see your posts as they are wanting you to pay to 'boost' your status/pictures) showing off pictures of your work etc. Unless you are happy to pay for ads on there.

If you was looking to get your nails done, where would you go?

My answer is google.

Google gel nails & your area, see what sites other local nail techs are advertising on (yell.com, google places to name a couple) google free advertising sites, get your name out there.

Start off by stating which product you are using, Bio sculpture, CND, Calgel etc all have brand awareness, people actively search for things they know or have heard of.

Is it a gel or a gel polish?

Work out your costings per service, from products, disposables, insurance, fuel if you are mobile, electric/rent if you aren't, an hourly rate you are happy with to make it worth your while. Advertise that price & pictures of your work.

It is so hard to raise your prices. & I speak from experience.

& yes put your contact number on everything a separate one to your personal number even if its just a cheap pay as you go, you'll not regret it :)

Xx

I know your newly qualified & want to gain experience, but start as you mean to go on. By all means do friends & family for £10 whilst you do this.

You will only attract bargain hunters at £10. These will swiftly move on to the next bargain when yours has finished.

In my honest opinion the business like pages (you arent suppose to have a friend page for a business) are good for keeping in touch with clients, (even this is harder now though as not everyone who has liked your page will see your posts as they are wanting you to pay to 'boost' your status/pictures) showing off pictures of your work etc. Unless you are happy to pay for ads on there.

If you was looking to get your nails done, where would you go?

My answer is google.

Google gel nails & your area, see what sites other local nail techs are advertising on (yell.com, google places to name a couple) google free advertising sites, get your name out there.

Start off by stating which product you are using, Bio sculpture, CND, Calgel etc all have brand awareness, people actively search for things they know or have heard of.

Is it a gel or a gel polish?

Work out your costings per service, from products, disposables, insurance, fuel if you are mobile, electric/rent if you aren't, an hourly rate you are happy with to make it worth your while. Advertise that price & pictures of your work.

It is so hard to raise your prices. & I speak from experience.

& yes put your contact number on everything a separate one to your personal number even if its just a cheap pay as you go, you'll not regret it :)

Xx

Ahh thank you for all that !
I done a bit of research on other nail techs in the area and average price for gel polish was £15. I thought id do I bit of a reduction to begin with to build up a few clients. But then I guess its true what you say theyll then move onto the next bargain when it comes up.

Oo I didnt know you couldnt advertise on normal facebook page ! Thanks for that info. Will have a look into free add pages aswell.

At the min im using several brands. Crystal nails, the edge gel fx, gelish and just ordered ibd. As ive just started I wanted to have a try with everything before I spend my money investing in the one system. Should I advertise all the brands im using or just the main one like gelish ? As before I got involved with nails I only knew what Gelish was.

I am only trained in soak off gel polish. I did think once id done the poster that the 'gel nails' could be a bit decieving.

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it :) x

No problem, id advertise Gel polish (until you've found a brand you want to keep using) but agree Gelish is well known & the name alone may get you clients.

Ok £15 for a gel polish is on the low side, the lowest I would go would be £20 for gelish. It can be hard to believe but some people can be put off by too low prices aswell as attracting bargain hunters. Work smarter not harder ;)

Are you home/salon based or mobile? Online adds can take a while to do, but it is worth it with almost all phones having the internet.

Register your new number with TPS to lower the amount of sales calls you will receive having your number online.

In my experience avoid the sales/advertising companies that call you. No matter how good their offers seem!

Xx

No problem, id advertise Gel polish (until you've found a brand you want to keep using) but agree Gelish is well known & the name alone may get you clients.

Ok £15 for a gel polish is on the low side, the lowest I would go would be £20 for gelish. It can be hard to believe but some people can be put off by too low prices aswell as attracting bargain hunters. Work smarter not harder ;)

Are you home/salon based or mobile? Online adds can take a while to do, but it is worth it with almost all phones having the internet.

Register your new number with TPS to lower the amount of sales calls you will receive having your number online.

In my experience avoid the sales/advertising companies that call you. No matter how good their offers seem!

Xx

I probably will end up sticking with Gelish as its the best brand ive used so far :)

Oo okay ! I have seen salons in my area advertising for £20. For some reason I feel like I couldnt charge that amount as im new to all this and I'd be scared incase the salons/other techs offered a better service.

I will be based at home, I did consider going mobile but was put off by hearing other peoples stories. Maybe it'll be something ill look into in the future.

Ahh I will do. Thanks again :) xx

I probably will end up sticking with Gelish as its the best brand ive used so far :)

Oo okay ! I have seen salons in my area advertising for £20. For some reason I feel like I couldnt charge that amount as im new to all this and I'd be scared incase the salons/other techs offered a better service.

I will be based at home, I did consider going mobile but was put off by hearing other peoples stories. Maybe it'll be something ill look into in the future.

Ahh I will do. Thanks again :) xx

Don't sell yourself short, think of it like this... You use the same products & take the same amount of time! You have the same qualification too. Why not book yourself in at a local salon & see how they sell the service for £20 (ie drink, hand massage etc so you know you will be offering the same level of service or better) or look in to loyalty cards 5 Gelish manis & get the 6th half price you'd still be earning more than charging £15 per set :) yet encouraging repeat business.

Ok salons do have larger overheads, but they also have more staff so they can earn more per hour than you alone.

Xx

Don't sell yourself short, think of it like this... You use the same products & take the same amount of time! You have the same qualification too. Why not book yourself in at a local salon & see how they sell the service for £20 (ie drink, hand massage etc so you know you will be offering the same level of service or better) or look in to loyalty cards 5 Gelish manis & get the 6th half price you'd still be earning more than charging £15 per set :) yet encouraging repeat business.

Ok salons do have larger overheads, but they also have more staff so they can earn more per hour than you alone.

Xx

I think I might just do that.
Good excuse to treat myself haha x

Great start - well done.

Make sure you add your contact details - you never know where it might end up especially if people share it for you.

Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Latest posts

Back