I need to get a grip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trooper_x

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Has anyone else suffered from anxiety attacks? I'm literally been in a state all morning, palpitations toilet constant headache can't stop crying I'm worried.and ashamed...all for a second shift at a new part time job. I think. I don't even know why I'm anxious.

I havnt gone in and I'm ashamed that I've let it take over me the thought of walking to town to get kalms even worried me. I need to be earning money and I can't believe it's taken control. I only get anxious before work or in busy crowds or on my own if I'm not at home that is.

Sorry this is just a rant but I can't tell anyone I didn't go in because it's the worst thing I could have done.:(

Hi guys,
Has anyone else suffered from anxiety attacks? I'm literally been in a state all morning, palpitations toilet constant headache can't stop crying I'm worried.and ashamed...all for a second shift at a new part time job. I think. I don't even know why I'm anxious.

I havnt gone in and I'm ashamed that I've let it take over me the thought of walking to town to get kalms even worried me. I need to be earning money and I can't believe it's taken control. I only get anxious before work or in busy crowds or on my own if I'm not at home that is.

Sorry this is just a rant but I can't tell anyone I didn't go in because it's the worst thing I could have done.:(

Oh no.... I'm feeling for you- can I ask What is the job? And have you suffered from anxiety before now? Have you ever sought professional help on this?

Do you have support from family partner or friends right now? Someone who can come over and help you calm down, then work out what the next step is?

I suffer from similar anxiety attacks so sorry to hear you do too. I was taught by a counsellor a breathing technique that makes your body think it's in a relaxed state. When you panic you tend to breathe in more than breathing out which releases more adrenalin in the body so the trick is to switch it round so your breath out is longer than your breath in inducing a relaxed state which should slow everything down. I also find distraction is the only way sometimes too, give a friend or family member a call if you can, or watch an episode of your favourite sitcom.

It's at next just a sales consultant nothing scarey. It's my first job since hairdressing which I have always done. My last salon was awful and the manager just made me lose all confidence. I've had anxiety for a long time and am on the lowest depressant which I've just taken 2 of to try a calm me down.
I have all the support but my family have said to go in and buy some kalms before work but I couldn't do it and ashamed to tell them or my boyfriend because I need to be earning money. I've made it all worse because now next are pissed and now I'm worrying about tomo at work because of that.

I'm just ashamed I should of gone in:(

Thanks for your reply meira, worrying thing is I tried deep breathing and called my mum and still couldn't snap out of it. Now my new job are pissed rightly so, which makes me even more nervous about going in tomo which I'll make sure I do. Just angry that I let it take over.x

Oh no, how awful for you. Sending you a big hug.
I started to get anxiety attacks a few years ago, & seen my GP who advised I cut out caffeine, & gave me some tablets.
My anxiety turned in to panic attacks for no apparent reason. He also advised me when I started to feel it happening to 'do something' to take my mind off it (occupy my mind) As it is all in your mind, & you start to make yourself feel worse the more you are focused on it. I took the tablets in small doses, but just knowing I had them/was taking them helped me massively.
So much so, I cant even remember when I stopped taking them. Anxiety varies from person to person so what worked for me, may not work for you. But just thought Id share my experience.

Xx

I know it's hard but sometimes you have to go through with the thing that's causing the anxiety and once you've done that it never turns out as bad as you thought. It's very easy to hide from everything that makes us feel anxious but that's not living! I had been suffering with anxiety for years and finally had some counselling earlier this year as it was becoming such a huge part of my life. It has helped a lot but wouldn't say I'm cured. It has just helped me to understand where the anxiety came from which in turn helped figure out ways to separate past events from what's happening now allowing you to realise your response doesn't need to be the anxious one. Not sure if any of that made sense and apologies for the long post.

Feel free to pm me if you ever want to talk more x

Thank you for sharing Steph I think I need some medication, worst thing is as much as I pep talked my self that I'm being silly and I'll be fine once I get there I still couldn't do it this is the first time I've actually let it control me. Even though I'm not going it hasn't stopped me worrying cos I'm now already thinking about tomo and I've pissed work off so I should of gone in. I don't know a doctor is calling me today (I've moved areas) so hopefully I can get a solution xx

Please please please don't feel ashamed. Anxiety is an illness, like any other. I was diagnosed 10 years ago and some days are a struggle.
You really should call your GP and go see them for a review of your meds. It appears they are not working!
You're well being is the most important thing. Everything else can be dealt with in due course x

I'm sending u a big hug! Why do next think you haven't gone in? What did you tell them?

Thanks miera, your right it's so easy to hide and I shouldn't of because I've caused my self even more anxiety as my boss isn't happy of course and I need to bring myself to tell my boyfriend and family but I know how angry they will be so I can't. What a mess.! I've had counselling for years but stopped a year ago but not to do with so much anxiety so I think I'll consider going back. Thank you for your help xx

Thank you hazeleyes, I said I needed to sort my prescription out at the doctors and it's very personal. They wern't happy and I wouldn't be if I were them either. Just angry at myself :/ x

Thank you hazeleyes, I said I needed to sort my prescription out at the doctors and it's very personal. They wern't happy and I wouldn't be if I were them either. Just angry at myself :/ x

I think you should defo tell your boyfriend and family. That's what they are there for to support you and it sounds like you need it ready for tomorrow!

Try and draw a line under today and start tomorrow as a new day and also weigh up meeting with your boss tomorrow and explaining however much you feel comfortable with, what actually happened. Your boss is human too!

Don't be angry with yourself as you can see many people suffer with anxiety it's really common. Just don't hold it in and try deal with it on your own. Let your family and friends help you, go back to the gp if needs be as well. Focus, this job is something new to you that's all, it's out if your comfort zone, and it's thrown you off a bit but you've beaten this before and you will again!!!

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and have for 3 years now. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
Someday so can't leave the house on my own and I've had to keep my son of school due to anxiety about the school run!
I think it would be a good idea to go to your doctor and see of they can prescribe you anything.
I've been on some new tablets for 6monrhs now and have seen a massive improvement I have also been given diazepam for when I'm really bad.
I feel for you it's one of the worse feelings ever. X

Really appreciating everyone's replys you all have been really helpful.
Me and my boyfriend have bought a new apartment and he works his arse off 6 days a week, and I know ill upset him a lot if I say I havnt gone in for a four hour shift that's nothing. I know hell just say i don't care about keeping our new home when it's not the case at all I just wish I could of snapped out of it this morning. And I can't lie it's impossible so worried about telling him tonight:(.

Hopefully my gp will prescribe something for me to help.. Xx

Do NOT feel ashamed! The stigma that comes with anxiety/depression is wrong! I suffer with both & i know exactly how you feel but do not feel ashamed! You're not alone :) i would strongly advise speaking to your manager. Explain the situation, how you feel/felt, how it affects you. They may even be able to help xx

That's a good idea, I will definitely talk to them about it and apologise..just worried about telling my boyfriend he'll be so disappointed :( thank you xx

I have had anxiety for about 3 years now on and off.. Anxiety stems from something your fearful of! Mine is a phobia of vomiting.. I used to work in retail in a prestigious department store and one day I felt really nauseous.. I panicked and thought I was going to be sick in front of everyone!
Que a full blown panic attack! This went on for a year on and off. I thought it was just be being a freak.. Until I decided to go to the doctors who gave me medication for when it flares up.

I had some therapy earlier this year and she was amazing, I highly recommend you see your GP and ask for cognitive therapy.. It makes you really realise that it's ok to be scared sometimes but life is scary, things happen that are totally out of your control, it's just about how you deal with it!

Anxiety shuts your digestive system down so that is why you need the toilet, feel sick and shaky! Also your body goes into fight or flight mode when there is no need to.. So your body is full of adrenalin with nothing to do with it.

I will always suffer with anxiety but I forbid it to rule me life, it was bloody hard at times I didn't want to leave the house, I was dreading seeing clients, didn't want to speak to anybody.. But now I feel so much better and I'm taking no medication at all!
Sorry for the long post but it annoys me how it's seen sometimes as a taboo subject when it really is serious and there should be more support xxxxx

Hi I'm new on here but had to reply to this.
I started having really bad panic attacks back in 2003 at first I didn't even know what it was it got to the point where I couldn't even go out the door without shaking and it was even worse in the salon, my first client was always the worst if I got through that then the rest of the day was fine but when your shaking so much that you can't even put foils in it becomes a prob and who wants to have their hair done by someone who is shaking that much! I went to the docs and he put me on anti depressants a low dose to start of with but as they take a month to kick in properly I ended up leaving hairdressing and literally didn't go out for months. I was fine while taking the tablets but as soon as I felt well I forgot to take the tablets and it came back worse than ever until they were back in my system again. In the end I was on tablets for ten years and the dosage just got higher and higher until I got to the point where I didn't know who I was anymore so I slowly weaned myself of them and returned to working in a salon which is a job I love and now and again I still get panic attacks but now I tell my client what is happening and that it will pass.
The hardest thing was being honest about it but I have found that as soon as you talk about it they start going away, facing the problem and telling people was the thing that worked for me I'm not saying they go away completely but you learn to live with it.
Diet is another thing that helps, coffee and sugar just feeds it but I love sweet coffee lol!
My boss knows about my panic attacks and it helps a lot.
I just wanted to let you know that there are so many of us out here with the same thing, your not weak and don't feel ashamed as it makes it worse, tell your bf and family as cutting yourself of is bad for your head as you feel more isolated....... It's a normal feeling the fight or flight response but as soon as you start fighting it gets easier but I know it's easy to say but a lot harder to do and why should you care what anybody else thinks in the outside world there's a lot stranger out there I assure you, I wish there was a magic tablet but there isn't and I hope you feel better once your shift is out the way tomoro.

Keep smiling

OP, I'm sending you my support. The advice so far has been great. Good luck for tomorrow.

It's great to see people sharing their experiences, its only recently that I realised that it isn't 'just me' that has these types of feelings. I logically knew, but it wasn't until I heard it from other people that they had them too that I believed it.

X

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back