I think I've messed up, big time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexnailnewbie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Before i knew about salon geek i started a nail technician course i can do from home. From home was my only choice as i've just recently had a baby and moved from England to Scotland so have no family to help out with childcare.
I had done research in to lots of different course centers and the one i have gone with and nearly finished seemed the best at the time. at the end of it i will have an NCFE level 2. This qualifys me in mani/pedi, acryilic and gel enhancements. So i can be covered by insurers i have to send in photos of my work signed by the model with their contact details.
So far i have learned a lot and have been getting a lot of practice, but after looking through threads on here i think ive made a big mistake. Should i have trained through CND or another company and what should i do now as it has already cost me a small fortune!
Has anyone else trained from home?

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hey hun, I done the same as you and also started my training from home before I knew about salon geek..I ordered a home learning nail technician course (think it may be the same one you're talking about) and I completed it and got my certificates and everything...however, I didn't feel that this course was enough to make me feel "qualified" to go out and do nails..I didn't feel this course was "professional" enough to get me started in this career path...so after spending hundreds on this course...I then paid yet another small fortune on CND training...I now feel satisfied and competent.

So answer to your question..no it's not a BIG mistake..i'm sure it's given you plenty of knowledge to get a start in your career, but you may feel and I think you're already feeling that it's not enough.

I'm not sure but if you've done practical work and will be qualified in "acrylic" and gel..then have a talk with Sweet Squared and you may be eligible to do a conversion course with CND if that's the road you want to go down.

Hope this reply isn't sounding very negative! Just my thoughts.. X

I too would say it doesn't sound as though you are wasting your time as you have already said you've learnt a lot. Everyone is different & I think it depends how confident you feel about the standard of your work not just at the end of the course but also with lots of practice. You can do a course with the best company in the world but that doesn't mean your work will be perfect at the end of it you still need practice.
There are lots of options for you & you can never do to much training so see how you go & keep practicing & look into doing a conversion or workshop course with a company you feel is right for you weather its cnd, nsi, ezflow, crystal nails or any of the other brands

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Hello, first off congrats on moving to a new place that just means new opportunities ahead so dont let anything get you down.:wink2:

Now welcome to the site & soon enough to this business!

You stated that you are already doing a course, no matter what course you take if it helped you by educating you, no matter what its still a good thing because it is more then you knew prior to it & that is still a great thing. No matter how you look at it, you must realize that it wasnt all a waste not time nor money. Just look at it as a part 1 to the business rather then ooh did I make a huge mistake kind of thing.

Once you finish your course you can always start a cnd course so you can be cnd certified as well. Like I always say: More education, more knowledge & that means better assisting your clients when the time comes!

Look at it this way, everyday you learn something new right, so there you go, you learned the basic & when you are done you will add to that.
No fuss, no foul.. all good!

Wishing you the best of luck on your journey! :Love:

Hello

I did a home a course and I too thought perhaps i have gone the long way around .. However

I did 4 months worth of theory I practised my bead consistency no end and then had a few days practical

I've then completed a conversion course with my selected brand and now realise I may have done it The long way but I know my theory and not just the application.

Don't feel down I'm all up for changing careers but nail courses do take a long time and a lot of money and stick with it as you will find the money will return after the outlay x
HTH and all the best on your course x

First courses can be very basic. I did my nvq3 in nails at college and am currently working towards my Brisa conversion certificate with CND.

Look at it this way, you've got a recognised qualification so from here it's just about topping up your knowledge to gain more confidence in the practical side of things :) And if you do this via product training, it will make you a better nail tech in general in my opinion because it will mean that you are able to work with a brand of product and offer the brand to clients.

Aaw you haven't messed up! Good advice from the posts above. Reminds me of a quote I love...

“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.”

― Asha Tyson

Maybe you had to do this course to get a good foundation knowledge, and somewhere along the line it obviously brought you to salon geek so all is not lost! :D good luck chick xxxx

i know you say you have learnt alot but if you have never been in the industry before how do you know that what you have learnt is sufficient enough or thorough enough?

alot of my training has been from watching demonstrations and being shown face to face at what angle to hold your brush, file etc and what pressures to use. i dont see how you could have had that from a book? also trainers often explain things in much more detail and expand upon than any book can as well as sharing their own life experiences which is invaluable as a newbie.

if you are serious about a career in nails and by the sound of it you are lacking in a little confidence and conviction in your current ability (just my opinion) so i would give sweet squared a call and book onto a full course even if you just choose L+P or gel for now and do a conversion in the other at a later date. This way you will know that you have had thorough training and product knowledge as well as application knowledge and your confidence will soar. the other good thing about courses with other people and not from home is that you meet other like minded techs in the same position and you can help each other and not feel so alone.

obviously this is going to come at a cost but you get what you pay for at the end of the day!

good luck x

I feel a bit better now after reading comments from you that have been in the same situation. I'm just going to think as this course as my basic education. I am really enjoying it. Once i have qualified at this course do you think it would be ok for me to do standard mani/pedi's with polish to gain some money back to save for another course with a company like CND? I'm getting more confident with my work and have had really good feedback from my assignments. I agree with you Souz i don't know if what i have learned is sufficient enough that's why i worry. The enhancements i have been doing look ok and last well, but how would i know if i was doing something seriously wrong??? Like i say i will complete this course and just pass it off as learning the basics.

Good for you yes it will be basic knowledge and it all depends on the individual (in my opinion) I know some girls who have come out of college with an NVQ and they do not have confidence etc who have spent months in classes with a tutor at hand to ask even the simplest of questions.

I have spent ££££ on extra courses from conversions to sculpting (in both gel and l+p) and I'm always learning more and more all the time ... But the theory I learnt in the beginning always stays the same xx
It's all worth it xx

Latest posts

Back