Ideas for home salon open day

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolled up

Reaction score
Hi geeks. This april i will be celebrating my business's first birthday! Ive decided to do an open day on a saturday and would like if you could help me with some ideas please :lol: i offer hairdressing services, extensions and spray tanning. This is what ive come up with so far, needs some tweaking to the wording but im going to sort that out soon :)

*tan tasters- free 1/2 body tan (got a bottle thats due to expire in may so want to get rid of as much of it as i can as ive not done many tans)
* goodie bag for first 5? (tan samples, shampoo, chocs etc)
* new clients-20% off services when booked on the day and deposit taken
*hair extensions £195 instead of £250 when booked on the day & deposit taken
*extension tasters (got a few packs of unused hair)
* recommend a friend scheme launch
Anything else that would be good for me to do? Id like to do a demo of some sort but dont know what :/ thanks in advance x

Hi geeks. This april i will be celebrating my business's first birthday! Ive decided to do an open day on a saturday and would like if you could help me with some ideas please :lol: i offer hairdressing services, extensions and spray tanning. This is what ive come up with so far, needs some tweaking to the wording but im going to sort that out soon :)

*tan tasters- free 1/2 body tan (got a bottle thats due to expire in may so want to get rid of as much of it as i can as ive not done many tans)
* goodie bag for first 5? (tan samples, shampoo, chocs etc)
* new clients-20% off services when booked on the day and deposit taken
*hair extensions £195 instead of £250 when booked on the day & deposit taken
*extension tasters (got a few packs of unused hair)
* recommend a friend scheme launch
Anything else that would be good for me to do? Id like to do a demo of some sort but dont know what :/ thanks in advance x

All your ideas sound great, another great one to get new clients through the doors is a "free gift" when you book your first appointment. You could have one as a display and then say that if they attend their appointment they will receive that on the date of the appointment save you giving away loads of stuff and then they cancel.

Another thing is to do 10% off vouchers with an expiry date i.e. a month later so you aren't constantly giving discounts. Instead of having a "free gift" for the first five, why don't you have drinks and nibbles? Or a glass of bubbly for everyone, get a few bottles of cava?

Tan idea sounds good, but you could perhaps offer 1/2 body spray tan or just legs spray tan (to stop people taking so long getting dressed etc) for the first 10/20 depending on how much tan you have.

The hair extension offer sounds brilliant! You could also take this opportunity to retail some bits and bobs.

Can you do the dip-dye look? you could have a friend model that and do a demo of that if it doesn't take too long? this is really popular at the moment but im not from hair so dont know how long that would take. Do you offer braids for hair? or those feathers as they are quite in? You could do tasters of those? x

I have a real thing about 20% off for new clients. Your existing clients are your bread and butter, and I always think they could get a bit fed up if you're only doing promos to new clients. Offer 20% off if they book on the day, that way it's time limited and a call to action, and offer it to everyone. Just a thought!!!

Just a quick reply cos I'm at work-
I thought you weren't allowed to offer alcohol? Yes I'm gonna do 20% off to all now :) xx

Just a quick reply cos I'm at work-
I thought you weren't allowed to offer alcohol? Yes I'm gonna do 20% off to all now :) xx
I think you're only allowed alcohol when you are not charging for it. If you were selling it to your clients then that would be different and that's when you would require a licence to do so :) hth and good luck xx

I think you're only allowed alcohol when you are not charging for it. If you were selling it to your clients then that would be different and that's when you would require a licence to do so :) hth and good luck xx

Thank you! Xx

All your ideas sound great, another great one to get new clients through the doors is a "free gift" when you book your first appointment. You could have one as a display and then say that if they attend their appointment they will receive that on the date of the appointment save you giving away loads of stuff and then they cancel.

Another thing is to do 10% off vouchers with an expiry date i.e. a month later so you aren't constantly giving discounts. Instead of having a "free gift" for the first five, why don't you have drinks and nibbles? Or a glass of bubbly for everyone, get a few bottles of cava?

Tan idea sounds good, but you could perhaps offer 1/2 body spray tan or just legs spray tan (to stop people taking so long getting dressed etc) for the first 10/20 depending on how much tan you have.

The hair extension offer sounds brilliant! You could also take this opportunity to retail some bits and bobs.

Can you do the dip-dye look? you could have a friend model that and do a demo of that if it doesn't take too long? this is really popular at the moment but im not from hair so dont know how long that would take. Do you offer braids for hair? or those feathers as they are quite in? You could do tasters of those? x
I like the idea of a free gift but most of the products i use are £10 and over so would only work if they booked a service over a certain amount. As that might be abit of a hassle i might just do a goodie bag for people who book in and leave a deposit?

Im going to get some drinks, cupcakes and a nice personalised balloon :)
Im going to do just legs now as you said itll be easier. Yeah dipdye would be the quickest for me to demo, im just going to have to find someone with light hair!

My only worries are- as im a home salon ive got limited space and when my tan tent is up ive hardly got any room at all, should i only do tans at a certain time i.e 12-2? Xx

Hi, to be honest re: tans I think you are best off getting some tans done before hand and having some nice before and after images in a portfolio. Having to do treatments will mean not talking to people who turn up so I would think just having products on display and being there to meet, greet and offer refreshments with a chat about what you do/people's needs and example gift set (given out at the appointment) for those who book might be the way to go. I don't think people need to see you do a spray tan to believe you can do one - you could offer money-off spray tan tester session vouchers to the people who turn up, chance for them to come back.

OR you could get someone to film you doing a tan, upload onto youtube and have it plying on a laptop for people to watch?

I wouldn't do tans on the day if limited space
Have read you want to use up solution so

price draw could do some raffle tickets and give away tans

Or clients that book on day receive a free tan at appointment if they

Last edited:
Sorry if they book cut & colour receive free tan

Thanks everyone :) right then- thinking of doing raffle to win a tan AND free tan with every c&c or is that too much? Xx

I don't think it's too much if you get a few bookings and if its going off anyway or could do

Cut colour conditioning treatment and spray tan for x

I would do a raffle 3 prizes

Cut and blow dry & treatment
Tan
Blow dry & treatment
( or to encourage more to buy include a colour prize raffle tickets will cover cost of a tube or 2 colours)

All low cost

How many are you expecting

Thank you :) im not really expecting anyone. Ive been so quiet since i set up here (moved area 3 months after starting so was back to square one september just gone) that i doubt anyone will turn up ): ive got a few regular clients and ive told them and im going to put it on facebook now to spread the word :) xx

I would offer the wow factor with prizes then to spread the word and get spoken about

Have you thought about refer a friend?

It works a treat but only offer on low cost treatments like cb

Ask your supplier for free samples for clients goody bags. I got 50.
Also ask suppliers if they will donate a raffle prize.
Donate raffle money to a charity.
That way local paper will get involved if you let them know what you're doing.
Run a raffle leading up to the evening for a set of GHDs maybe ? Take the cost off what they'd cost you then donate the rest to charity. My clients loved this.
Invite other local businesses along to set up a stall.mjust ask for a prize donation for the raffle. Eg, a local jewellery maker, people who work from home ( Jamie @ home ) can do a demo. Craft designers.
I had GHD come and they did demos on models , curling etc.
Do mini facials (5 min ones) clense, tone, moisturise. For £3.
Have all product displayed that you can Savell and that you use.
Offer consultations, with 20% off.
We had a brilliant time. Over 100 clients came.
Definitely worth it.
We got local caterers involved too.
Did a bucks fizz and a punch.
Plus soft drinks.
Morrisons do free glass hire.
Hope all that helps .

Run a raffle leading up to the evening for a set of GHDs maybe ? Take the cost off what they'd cost you then donate the rest to charity. My clients loved this.
Invite other local businesses along to set up a stall.mjust ask for a prize donation for the raffle. Eg, a local jewellery maker, people who work from home ( Jamie @ home ) can do a demo. Craft designers.
Have all product displayed that you can Selll and that you use.
Offer consultations, with 20% off appointments if they book that night.
Definitely worth it.
Plus soft drinks.
Hope all that helps .

I would offer the wow factor with prizes then to spread the word and get spoken about

Have you thought about refer a friend?

It works a treat but only offer on low cost treatments like cb

Thank you :) is refer a friend different to recommend a friend? Xx

Have all product displayed that you can Selll and that you use.
Offer consultations, with 20% off appointments if they book that night.
Definitely worth it.
Plus soft drinks.
Hope all that helps .

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately I'm not busy enough/have a big enough salon for most of your ideas ): xx

Latest posts

Back