Ignorant and uneducated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachp

Reaction score
:evil: :evil:

Ive been renting a space in a hair salon for the past 6 months, one of the hairdressers, for the second time yesterday, whilst i was with a new client, started opening windows (when it was -2degrees) and shouting "we need ventilation in here with these smells as they are harmful" she has also told one of my long standing clients that she should not have her nails done any more as she is pregnant and the chemicals will harm the baby. I am so angry, does anyone have any documentation that states that L&P products are not Toxic as she is trying to imply, im at the end of my tether with it and have more professionalism than to enter into a slanging match in front of customers. HELP someone!!!

what a cow she is

I'd throw her out the damn window. LOL X

She is a b**ch. Are the chemicals that are used in our hair any more dangerous than the ones that we use. both have smells, especially perm solutions and colours. Tell her to take a running jump!
xx:D

julia_james said:
what a cow she is
i think advice is the order of the day ???

can you have a word in the salon owners ear at all and explain the situation with the particular hairdresser who is making these false claims?

get in touch with the company whose products you use and ask them to send you some printed information, not only can you show them to the owner of the salon aswell as your clients but also to the hairdresser concerned.
hth's xx

lol me too or tell her customers that her hands are a bit shakey from alcohol abuse and that it is dangerous to hold scissers lol

Approach the owner and tell her the facts. My nail clients used to complain about the smell of the perms when I rented space in a salon. Smells don't harm you, only ignorance does.

I might just be weird but i quite like the smell of L&P and nail varnish maybe its just me though

Hi

I had similar problems when i was renting space in a hairdressers. I actually gae thebenefit of the doubt the 1st time. The 2nd time, i apologised to my client, then asked the stylist if i could have a word in the staff room right now. I pulled her asid and told her that i am not a hairdresser so i would never dream of talking over her like that, and would appreciate that she did not do the same with me! I told her that if she did it again i would put in an official complaint to her employer.

I then followed up this convo by writing what was said andgiving a copy to both the stylist and the owner/employer.

I think if you let her do it and then worry about whether you should say anything, the damage is already done and she thinks she can get away with it. Nip it in the bud there and then, because it send out a message to her that you will not put up with her comments or intimidation, but it also sends a message to your client, that you know what you are doing and are not unsure because you have left it.

I know its hard, but remember you are running your business off reputation and whatever the cost you have to keep it. If the polotics outway the benefits, do yourself a favour and your business, move! I did.

Hi am new to the nail industry after completeing VTCT Training and also a Calgel conversion course. Would really appriciate it if someone could give me a littlle more info on this subject and enhancements and providing services to pregnant women. Is it safe?? etc What advice should i give them/questions should i ask them?

There was a newspaper article a while back that spouted about the so called risks of having your nails done whilst pregnant and maybe this is where she has based her ignorance on. I've done a search and come up with a few threads that have highlighted this area.

http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/17767-l-p-pregnant-customer.html?highlight=pregnant

http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/13008-can-having-your-nails-done-cause-miscarriage.html?highlight=pregnant

http://www.thenailgeek.com/articles/12767-can-being-sensational-harm-your-unborn-child.html?highlight=pregnant

http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/10190-chemicals-products.html?highlight=pregnant

and this is based on the Daily Mail article it all stemmed from ...
http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/8729-daily-mail-article-have-you-seen.html?highlight=pregnant

So you see this topic comes up a lot. There's a lot of info there. You could always print these thread off and shove them under your lovely hairdressers nose!!!!

ps the only thing you have to worry with a pregnant client is due to her raging hormones it may affect the durability of her enhancements ie they MAY be more prone to lifting

well i am pregnant and i do nails ;) , although i was in my room last night having a play and hubby did come in and ask if i should be doing it while pregnant (bless :Kissing: ) i was quite touched but still had to explain it was ok, so he should stop stressing :D

Great thanx a lot!!:D It's something that has always worried me! I'll print these off, have a good read and keep for future reference.

Appreciate the help!
xx

If we all just use a tad of common sense here for a minute??

Does anyone honestly think that after almost a 30 history of nail services being provided to the public, that if there was a problem with the products being dangerous to pregnant or non pregnant women, we wouldn't have heard about it by now??? Come ON. Can you imagine the law suits???

Nail products are safe to use and always have been.

I can't stand the smell of the perfume 'Poison' but that doesn't make it dangerous or unsafe ... gives me a wicked headache though!!

I can't stand the smell of the perfume 'Poison' but that doesn't make it dangerous or unsafe ... gives me a wicked headache though!![/quote]

LOL same here geeg!

thanks everyone youve made me feel a lot better about the subject, i will print off some of the articles and your reply Geeg! I just needed a bit of moral support i think! thanks guys xxxxxxxxxxxx

i definitely think you should pull her to one side and say something, preferably in the presence of another employee for a witness and then tell the salon owner what is happening and if it happens again you will expect her to do something about it.

last i heard, it was having your hair bleached/permed that was dangerous while pregnant. don't think that rumours true either is it?

problem ive got with that is the new salon owner is an ex employee of the person, who is now semi retired but still comes in to do odd days, they are still "friends" and new owner wont rock the boat so im stumped really, saying that im already looking to move somewhere else, especially as today i found out that whilst i wasnt in they used my gel bond to glue a hair clients heel on her shoe! ive really had enough now.

maybe you should use their hair dye to tie die your new t'shirt!!!!!

how unprofessional are they. maybe you would be better off in a new salon in case their reputation rubs off on you. also, when girls are clicky like this, i think sometimes you're just better off out of it.

First client today was 32 weeks gone, she asked if it could harm her baby and I said na, it stinks but its not toxic, I smell it all day and never get high, worst luck.
I think you are underestemating your standing here, you are pure profit to the salon owner, and you pull in customers who just might have their hair done to. Remember if you move you take your customers with you, and the rent you pay.
Good luck, we're all here for you:hug:

Latest posts

Back