I'm a newbie... Wow, such much to think about!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Biscuit

Reaction score
Hi all,

What a great site!!

I have been having my nails done on and off for 10 years (All systems.) and done my own (acrylics.) for 3 years after my tech moved away (Yes, I know you hate unqualified clients "doing" their own.)

Over the past 3 years friends were pestering me to do their nails, but I always said no as I wasn't trained.

Then a few months back, someone at a party who was a part-time mobile tech asked who did my nails as she thought they were good, when I said I did them and explained that I had no training she persuaded me to attend the CND 4-dayer with her.. So I thought, why not?

It had always been a dream to do nails on others as a little sideline, then if it became successful.. who knows?!

So I did the course and wow.. what an eye-opener! Whilst I had the basic skills already in place I learnt SO much.. To a certain degree it was like learning all over again as Creative did things so differently. I had learnt what I previously knew from watching my old tech and she was one of the first people to bring the art over here.. But from looking at how she did things compared to how Creative do things, my trainer thinks my old tech probably never had much refresher training or moved with the times.

I also learnt that really I had been almost ABUSING the products.. Previously, I used to sit on my bed, in my bedroom, windows closed, polymer and monomer on a tray on my lap, glass of drink beside me.. (I hear you all gasp!!!) But I have amended my wicked, wicked ways now.. I promise!

I also think that since the course I have realised how dangerous products can be in untrained hands.. and I never thought I would say that.

It is such a science and such an art form and I really respect nail techs a whole lot more now. (I don't call myself one... Yet!)

So I have added to my kit with Creative products and bought some bits to enable me to go mobile and I plan on getting up to speed by doing my friends nails... I would really like to be unleashed on the public when I feel good enough at it.

I plan to do a 1 to 1 at the CND Acedemy at some point just so I can make sure that I iron out any problems or bad habits that I still have.

Any other advice or words of wisdom would be gratefully accepted.

And don't worry, at the moment I won't be giving up the day job!!

Keep up the good work ladies, I hope to learn so much from you all and this fab site over the next few months.

Miss B. xx

PS: Wish me luck for Sat when I do my first ever set on my best friend.

I LOVE this post.

It is so much my same story!! I naturally had the expertise (I am a trained artist) but not the knowledge!! Started at home doing my own ... NO intention of ever doing someone Else's .... then my daughter started on me and the rest, as they say, is history :D I did all the bad stuff too until I learned better. Must keep moving with the times.
Welcome to the Nail Geek site. I wish you every success. I'm sure you will be ready very soon to get out there and doing nails all the time.

this thread is great. I've had a very similar experience where i moved houses and my nail tech lived way too far away to maintain my nails. I've tried various other techs and unfortunately time after time walked away unhappy with my nails and the moment i got home i had to shape and file them. After about six months of looking for a new tech i decided i'll try and give it a go. My first ever system was "the edge" and at first i thought wow great but then a lot of problems appeared. So i started looking around for other products and "creative nails" make was mentioned to me i looked into it. However have to admit i did not go through any courses if you can recommend any would be great most of my creative kit comes from a friend of mine because she has moved into beauty therapy and gave up nails all together. I do agree that for anyone to use any of the systems is not a good idea however some people just have the talent for it and the nack. I've been on a few courses to learn about working with and acrylics but would love to attend one of the "creative" courses for Brisa Gel, do you have to have qualifications in order to attend any of their courses or do they have beginners course. Any recommendations????

Latest posts

Back