I'm at a stalemate, any suggestions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEEKS_R_WE

Reaction score
Hi there. I haven't been on here for quite some time -I'm talking years.
Went straight into work after my training and worked in salon for 2 and a half to 3 years. Took a break of 3 years to have family. Have 2 new little ones now.
Have decided to go back to work and am at the moment touching up my skills by practising on my daughter and my 2 close friends on the days that the father takes the children to his.
Since doing this a few people who have seen my daughter's and friends' nails are asking for me to do their nails. I have been declining because I don't like the idea of strangers coming into my home. (I live alone with my 3 children). I would rather work outside. I have a nail set up at home but it is more for my personal pleasure.
The problem is I can't find childminder unless I know I will be in a job but I can't find job first then look for childcare after.
If I rent my own space I would not know what business will be like so can't commit to paying for a childminder if custom is slow. Got a quote fo £300 per week for childcare.
Should I get over it and work from home even though it can only be for 3 days a week? What do you think guys. Racking my brains to find the right balance.

i would start up from home to start with, if your worried about people coming int o your home try and see if friend or family could come and sit at yours to start with until you get used to the idea or just advertise to friends and family and say that you will do friends of friends just until you feel happy xx

I think the obvious thing is to work from home, you even have a set up already. But I completely understand where you are coming from. Would it be in the evening when your children are asleep? I dont like strange people in my home either and would hate the worry of 'Oh no I've got a client in 30mins and the house is a tip'!! Like the above poster said, maybe someone could sit in the house with you, like your mum? or a friend?

Hello

As all the above posts suggest working from home seems to be the only logical solution at the moment. On the days when your kiddies are with their dad, could you not be mobile on those days and go to peoples houses?

x

I think the obvious thing is to work from home, you even have a set up already. But I completely understand where you are coming from. Would it be in the evening when your children are asleep? I dont like strange people in my home either and would hate the worry of 'Oh no I've got a client in 30mins and the house is a tip'!! Like the above poster said, maybe someone could sit in the house with you, like your mum? or a friend?

If I were to do at home, it would be when the children are away at the fathers (which would be Tue, Thur and Sat - 2.30pm to 7.30pm ) as I'm worried about fumes and nail dust. My home is very small so the smell gets everywhere. I don't have seperate room for my nail setup. It's just a corner of my living room.

You should check out the situation with tax credits because you can get up to 70% of your childcare costs back, dependent upon your situation. From personal experience I wouldn't try calling them but maybe look to your local Sure Start centre for advice.

If you are using a good quality product the fumes will do the children no harm at all, and you can get small extractor fans for your desk to help with the dust. Hehe I LOVE the smell of retention +, for me its everything I have a passion for and am crazy about!

If you are using a good quality product the fumes will do the children no harm at all, and you can get small extractor fans for your desk to help with the dust. Hehe I LOVE the smell of retention +, for me its everything I have a passion for and am crazy about![/QUOT

I have an extractor fan/arm rest but find that it that even though it catches the larger nail dust particles it blows out the finer particles underneath. I also cover the furniture when I do nails and yes I like the smell of monomer too :biggrin:

Just wanted to say thankyou for all your suggestions. They've all been really helpful and have made me view my options a bit more clearly. I look forward to more suggestions if any.

Latest posts

Back