I'm new to this, I need help and tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailednails

Reaction score
Ok, so basically I'm NEW (so that means be kind!!) This is a WHOLE new world to me!

So I literally begged,pleaded, and turned on a little charm on Tuesday when I rang my local college interested in doing a nail technology level 3 course....and although they were 4 weeks into the course already, and FULL, she managed to squeeze me in! So I started Wednesday!!

I have always wanted to do nails, I'm very arty, and creative, and girly so it fits me perfectly!! But when I left school I kind of drifted away from what I wanted to do, and now at 25 with 2 children I decided now or never! Anyway, student loan is applied for, and I did my first session! Unfortunately college had to order a few more kits for me and a few others, so I can't 'get stuck in yet'. But I have a few questions...and please forgive me if they sound basic!!!

So.....
For creating nail art on acrylic nails, are there particular brands I need to use (either for practice or professional use?)

My college use N.S.I products, are these products of a good quality enough to continue on use professionally once I'm qualified?

What would you recommend I buy separately from the kit college provide? (I ha e also ordered the advanced kit from college)

Where is the best place to buy additional products?

Once I have been doing this a few months and still need to practice is it acceptable to ask people for a small fee to cover product use while you practice on them (to a reasonable standard) even though it's me that needs the practice and I haven't yet completed or earned my qualification?

Also, as individual items can be expensive I was thinking of buying maybe a nail polish every week so that once I was a qualified I had a good start up range of colours and products without a huge lump sum outlay cost...is this a good idea?

And lastly, any tips to help me?

Thanks for your time guys

Xx

Ok, so basically I'm NEW (so that means be kind!!) This is a WHOLE new world to me!

So I literally begged,pleaded, and turned on a little charm on Tuesday when I rang my local college interested in doing a nail technology level 3 course....and although they were 4 weeks into the course already, and FULL, she managed to squeeze me in! So I started Wednesday!!

I have always wanted to do nails, I'm very arty, and creative, and girly so it fits me perfectly!! But when I left school I kind of drifted away from what I wanted to do, and now at 25 with 2 children I decided now or never! Anyway, student loan is applied for, and I did my first session! Unfortunately college had to order a few more kits for me and a few others, so I can't 'get stuck in yet'. But I have a few questions...and please forgive me if they sound basic!!!

So.....
For creating nail art on acrylic nails, are there particular brands I need to use (either for practice or professional use?) Once qualified, check out Sweet Squared home of CND, Minx, Shalac, Dashing Diva etc 08452106060

My college use N.S.I products, are these products of a good quality enough to continue on use professionally once I'm qualified? See my answer above .. CND

What would you recommend I buy separately from the kit college provide? (I ha e also ordered the advanced kit from college)

Where is the best place to buy additional products? See my answer above .. CND]

Once I have been doing this a few months and still need to practice is it acceptable to ask people for a small fee to cover product use while you practice on them (to a reasonable standard) even though it's me that needs the practice and I haven't yet completed or earned my qualification? yes .. absolutely

Also, as individual items can be expensive I was thinking of buying maybe a nail polish every week so that once I was a qualified I had a good start up range of colours and products without a huge lump sum outlay cost...is this a good idea? yes .. but there may be start up deals available

And lastly, any tips to help me? Work hard .. strive for perfect nails before you start putting nail art on them. it may not be as easy as you think to make nails that look real instead of fake and real is what you should be looking to achieve.

Xx

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I have been using NSI for 2 years and I love it it's a very good brand :)

Thank you!! Oh absolutely I have no doubt that it's not easy, I see so many 'nail technicians' in my area post pictures on Facebook of shoddy looking nails, acrylic TOUCBING cuticle, poor nail art, horrible 'fan' tips, uneven, and just low skill, I want to really make my mark, I want people to come back to me time and time again for QUALITY not cheap deals, I want them to last, I really really want to master this skill and I honestly am going to give if my all...was speaking to my mum earlier about it and she just smirked and said "its ONLY nails, hardly rocket science LOVE!" (She's not exactly supportive) but it's not ONLY nails, there's serious skill and technique, and I want (eventually) for every single client to LOVE their nails, and I want to be proud of every single one,. Our tutor did a demo and a girl who had already done her level 2 course had her own nails on that she had done at home and the tutor compared the nail she did to the girls and highlighted all the small errors, that added up to a very poor set of acrylic nails...the difference up close was shocking, I'm gunna try and keep that image in my mind!!!!

Thanks again for the advice :)

X

I have been using NSI for 2 years and I love it it's a very good brand :)

Where do you buy your NSI products from? I was having a look at some of their coloured acrylic powders earlier, and gel products too .....While at college we have access to a college wholesalers (only stocks college products I think , haven't been down yet) not sure if they have colours ext or just basics...and also not sure how long after we've completed the course we will have access to it (I'm on a fast track 38 week course 6 hours a week) so need to do LOADS of practice at home!!!!

X

Thank you!! Oh absolutely I have no doubt that it's not easy, I see so many 'nail technicians' in my area post pictures on Facebook of shoddy looking nails, acrylic TOUCBING cuticle, poor nail art, horrible 'fan' tips, uneven, and just low skill, I want to really make my mark, I want people to come back to me time and time again for QUALITY not cheap deals, I want them to last, I really really want to master this skill and I honestly am going to give if my all...was speaking to my mum earlier about it and she just smirked and said "its ONLY nails, hardly rocket science LOVE!" (She's not exactly supportive) but it's not ONLY nails, there's serious skill and technique, and I want (eventually) for every single client to LOVE their nails, and I want to be proud of every single one,. Our tutor did a demo and a girl who had already done her level 2 course had her own nails on that she had done at home and the tutor compared the nail she did to the girls and highlighted all the small errors, that added up to a very poor set of acrylic nails...the difference up close was shocking, I'm gunna try and keep that image in my mind!!!!

Thanks again for the advice :)

X

Good luck. Your mum has the same perception that manydo .. but she is wrong. Through every recesion since the 80's, the nail and beauty sector of business has grown and grown and nails is more than just the doing of them ... you need allot of knowledge and skill and I am still learning after 30 years. And nails is very close to rocket science, more than your mun realises, scientifically.

You are so lucky that CND is not far from you at all with the shop right there on the leeds ring road at 1, clayton wood bank near the lawnswood roundabout.

NSI is an adequate product .. not the best nor the most advanced, but by no means at the bottom end. Fine for learning but in the end, "the cream always rises to the top" and you sound like you want to be the "cream". :hug:

I would say that NSI is definitely MORE than adequate!! :rolleyes:

Where do you buy your NSI products from? I was having a look at some of their coloured acrylic powders earlier, and gel products too .....While at college we have access to a college wholesalers (only stocks college products I think , haven't been down yet) not sure if they have colours ext or just basics...and also not sure how long after we've completed the course we will have access to it (I'm on a fast track 38 week course 6 hours a week) so need to do LOADS of practice at home!!!!

X

nsinails.co.uk or my local capital hair & beauty, practice practice practice, took me quite a while to get the hang of acrylics. Good luck with your course :)

Just an opinion, having used both CND & NSI products, i do prefer CND which imho are the best products out there but each to there own and its what suits you and your clients needs 😉

Just an opinion, having used both CND & NSI products, i do prefer CND which imho are the best products out there but each to there own and its what suits you and your clients needs 😉

Ps! All the best & enjoy!! 😄

If your college use NSI then you're doing better than a lot of colleges! I've used their L&P and liked it.

If you did decide to change products at a later date, lots of companies do sample packs so you can try them out before committing.

I've just finished my VCTC in nail tech- and my advice? Chill out a minute hun, everyone was so excited and either ran before we could walk, wasted money or got sucked in by things we didn't need and also you will get a feel for what you are most confident in and what your client base will like. It's easy to put a set if nails down its not as easy to learn. Some of my fellow students are behind with homework where they rushed on doing observations hoping to finish course early, they won't. Study hard and practise lots as the theory is substantial and the skill takes practise! 9 months on and I'm finishing a month ahead of time all passed and complete but I think I need another 9 to feel confident! Everything Nsi I have used has been fab, liquid and powder, adhesives, consumables, gels. Same can be said of any brand I've used bar the edge actually your lucky your kit is very good to have Nsi 😉

So.....
For creating nail art on acrylic nails, are there particular brands I need to use (either for practice or professional use?)

My college use N.S.I products, are these products of a good quality enough to continue on use professionally once I'm qualified?

Where is the best place to buy additional products?

Once I have been doing this a few months and still need to practice is it acceptable to ask people for a small fee to cover product use while you practice on them (to a reasonable standard) even though it's me that needs the practice and I haven't yet completed or earned my qualification?

Also, as individual items can be expensive I was thinking of buying maybe a nail polish every week so that once I was a qualified I had a good start up range of colours and products without a huge lump sum outlay cost...is this a good idea?

And lastly, any tips to help me?

Xx

I feel exactly the same!!! I'm 28 (no kids..... Yet ;) ) and I am so excited to be doing the course. It's a huge commitment for me as I already have 2 jobs and work around 65 hours a week. I'm doing the fast track course, probably by the same college as you but at the City Centre course. I would heed the advice in not running before you can walk. I'm taking my time and learning as the college is teaching, and making sure my research and coursework is up to scratch. I know some of the girls on my course are already doing acrylics and gels using their college kits by watching you tube videos, but I think by doing that and not waiting till we've reached the point in the course they are potentially learning bad habits already.

I've been looking at loaaaadddsss of stuff that I want but need to keep sitting back and being realistic. I want a Parriffin was kit, I've been told they are not so popular by someone I know who is qualified, but I really want one. I plan to advertise a mobile service to the Elderly offering a wax manicure and pedicure (I work with the elderly and so many have said they would love it). I also want to invest in the whole range of Vinylux system to offer as part of my mani/pedi :)

I will be ordering my advanced kit at Xmas, as I know we aren't even touching nail art till after week 24, so I hardly see the point in paying out for one now! I'd rather buy a few bottles of Vinylux and some Mani/pedi lotions and potions. I want to make sure I'm fab at those before over- worrying myself about nail art ;)

Oh wow!! Thanks for all the advice so far guys!! I'm honestly a complete nail virgin...which in a way is good because I will be free of bad habits, but I need to really work on my skill and practice practice practice!!

Didn't realise the CND store was so close to me! ....so, I'm assuming I will be able to buy products directly from them once I'm qualified? Does this mean it will be available cheaper than say what you can get on Amazon? For a polish from sweetsquared or CND direct...what would I expect to pay? (Just curious as to prices)

Also in terms of what I should eventually be offering In products/services in salon (when I get there...) would shellac, vinylux, and some kind of gellish be reasonable?? (Should I offer more/less?)

And specifically for nail art (it's very popular with my potential clients) is this done on acrylic with specific brands of varnish...like do I have to do the nail art exclusively using a cnd shellac, or vinylux system? OR can I use another brand, and use a top coat to cure and seal it? (Hope that makes sense, and I hope I haven't made myself look stupid asking that!!)

And just to add...YES I DO INTEND TO BE THE CREAM OF THE CROP :) I honestly want to be PERFECT at this!

Any other advice or tips while I'm training would be fantastic.....obviously without a complete qualification I'm unable to have access to cnd ect other than through Amazon (not a big truster of eBay and its thousands of fake products!) So is it advisable get a few products of a system just to get the hang of it while I'm training?

X

Oh and another start out new person question......

I was thinking of, while obviously still in practice was.....to just exclusive Ely practice my sculpting, and nail extensions....and practicing nail art on those false nail display/practice things you can vet (not the hands just those plastic nail on a stick or everything...completely forgot the name for them!!)....I was thinking this would help me master the skills separately, and keep an eye on the durability of my acrylics, be able to see any filing mistakes, prep mistakes, spot any lifting areas, and persistent troublesome areas...I think nail art can sometimes take your eye away from the quality of the actual nail extensions, and sometimes mask (to an extent) mistakes.....or should I just kill two birds with one stone? Once my kit has come I'm going to have dedicated time EVERYDAY on specific skills, sculpting, tips, nail art ect (as we cover them on the course add the next technique)

X

Oh Lord.....please forgive me crazy ass auto correct!! Haha it has a mind of its own and throws in random words!!!

Latest posts

Back