I'm not up to scratch, please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaBella

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've landed my first job in a salon after qualifying nvq 2. I've been here 5 weeks but really feel like im not giving the clients the best standard they deserve. Its not just one treatment im struggling with I seem to be really basic at everything. Sometimes I manage a good job but most of the time I feel bad because its not good enough
Im worried the salon owner will ask me to leave before ive got good enough. Im worried about letting the reputation of the salon down.
Im concerned that people are not re booking much (although a handful have) I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips of how to improve your skills and standards.

How long did it take for u guys to be at a high standard? How can I retain clients till I am good enough?
Id be really grateful for your advice.
Xxx:Scared:

does your salon offer training nights? might be worth doing that to build up your confidence on real clients rather than family and friends :) be confident aswell... fake it till you make it they say :) good luck xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi

Congratulations on passing your level 2 and bagging a job!

Don't give yourself such a hard time, the salon owner knew when they took you on you had just qualified,
If you feel you are struggling try and seek more training, the nvq 3 would give you more confidence and knowledge,
your manager can see your serious about your career when your looking into additional courses and may even help you with further training,
Be patient you can't learn everything over night it took me about 6 months after my level 3 to feel confident in the salon
Also see if there is anyone you can shadow in the salon this way you'll be able to watch and learn
You could always get a block and practice new techniques you pick up before trying them out on paying client

Keep going you'll get there you've already come so far!

Thank you for replying guys. Yea maybe more training would be a good idea. X

Bless you. I have to agree... you need to fake your confidence because the clients will detect you're nervous and then dont have the confidence in you

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Mad! I was just gonna say "fake it till you make it!" Have confidence in yourself and others will have confidence in you, it's a bit daunting when you first join a salon but be brave and ooze confidence ;) the rest will follow x

Speak to your employer and tell her how you are feeling, she can help put your mind at ease. She may even suggest some training nights like others said, but if you dont talk to her she cant help you.

If you don't want your employer to know how you feel could you not practice on your family and friends?
Don't worry you'll start to feel better soon and you won't even think bad thoughts before a treatment, it just takes a little time and experience xx

You know this really is a positive in some ways. It shows that you WANT to give your all and you WANT to improve. There are people who are just ok giving a mediocre service and collecting their wages or payment.

Now is the time to do something about it. I agree, discuss this with your employer. You're starting out in the industry having passed your qualification (congratulations :) ) and it probably feels a little alien. A good employer supports their employee and a good employee strives to do better. I think you could gain a lot of respect from having a chat with your boss and hopefully you will get the help and support you need.

Good luck xx

Sent from my D6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

What are the specific things you're struggling with? Feel free to ask anything you need to on here because we've all been new at some point and the amount of little tips and tricks you learn AFTER qualifying is a lot!! We're all here to share our knowledge and also to learn from each other so ask away :)

Definitely speak to your employer. Maybe even ask if you can sit in on her treatments with her clients. Also, could they run special offers on treatments if clients have them only with you?

Ideally what the salon should do is acknowledge that you are a trainee and reflect this in the price they charge the clients,for a period of time,until you have gained more experience and confidence.Then everyone knows where they stand.

There are certain things you can do to help.Look at videos on you tube for facial routines,massage routines etc.

Also many product companies put videos up of how best to use their products ie eyelash tinting,gel polish.Join professional forums and facebook sites.

There are some great books as well to gain more theory knowledge.Remember learning never stops if you want to be a great therapist and fortunately there is now a wealth of resources and extra training to help you.
If you can get to the professional beauty show next month that's always inspiring.

If you are struggling with waxing then it would definately benefit you to go on extra training because you will learn the latest techniques rather than the somewhat dated techniques that are often taught on FE courses.

I feel the same i passed my level 2 in November I can't work in a salon due to having 5 kids and husband who isn't very supportive, I've done no pratice since i passed so thinking it's all been a whilst of a year I want to work from home but they are not interested in coming to me

Bless you! I know how you feel as I am in a similar situation but you should be pleased that your main concern is being better for your clients but in time you gain more practice and learn :) this forum is great for learning more information from people that have been in the industry for a long time and who have a wealth of knowledge and understanding about the beauty industry. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Thank you for your honesty in this post! I think that starting out as a beauty therapist is TOUGH and I can only give respect to all the ladies (and some men!) who push through that initial period where you haven't had enough practice to get your skills at a comfortable level.

I've felt this way, and like many others have said, I faked it till I made it. There are still treatments I am going to do more training for because I want more confidence.

If you have the type of employer who is positive about training up their staff and making sure they are confident giving treatments, please approach them and use them as a resource!

If you are on your own, I echo everyone else's thoughts about additional training and practice. If you have no one else to practice on on - practice on yourself!

My friend learnt threading by practicing on her thigh, I am getting used to sugaring by practicing on myself first before I blow my cash on a course. Paint your own nails religiously, do some nail art. Paint your friends nails (charge a small fee for your time if appropriate). Tint your own brows. Tweeze your brows and focus carefully on your natural shape. Give yourself manicures and pedicures following step by step what you've learnt/do in salon. With massage treatments, you can practice certain steps on your thigh or do the movements in the air.

If you are on your own, I echo everyone else's thoughts about additional training and practice. If you have no one else to practice on on - practice on yourself!

My friend learnt threading by practicing on her thigh, I am getting used to sugaring by practicing on myself first before I blow my cash on a course. Paint your own nails religiously, do some nail art. Paint your friends nails (charge a small fee for your time if appropriate). Tint your own brows. Tweeze your brows and focus carefully on your natural shape. Give yourself manicures and pedicures following step by step what you've learnt/do in salon. With massage treatments, you can practice certain steps on your thigh or do the movements in the air.

Some fantastic advice here! I've sugared my legs, threaded my thighs and eyebrows, learnt facial massage routines on my husband's punch bag ( he's ticklish!). I work from home on weekdays, so I'm thinking of doing a once a month Saturday with a great price on a practice day offer. I'll do it saying I'm introducing a new product or technique....or it will look like I practice on people for their normal treatments! Lol

As an employer I would be very happy if you confided in me that you needed a bit more support doing treatments. When you take someone on fresh out of college you often expect to have to give some support.

We are actually thinking of offering skills top up sessions in our salon. No qualification, just the practicalities of salon work!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back