I'm scared, looking for peace of mind

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x.x.kelly

Nailjunkie
Reaction score
hey guys basically im just starting out as a self emlployed hairdresser but im so so scared im not going to make enough money to live on? how do you guys find it? really worryin myself! :-(

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Hi.
Have you been working somewhere with your own clientelle before deciding to go mobile?
Have you advertised yourself?Fbook,twitter,flyers,local shop boards?

Need a little more info x

My best friends is mobile and she is always busy but she does work at a salon 2 days a week just so she has a regular income as well x

Hi I freaked out on my 3rd day when I when self employed just the same thinking about money and so on but its been 6 years now and would not go back working for someone ,just think how much work u have to do now to give u the same wage as u got employed compared to what u use to work ,does this make sense :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

R u renting a chair ,Mobile or working form the house :-D

i will be renting a chair in a salon. i was previously employed and havent got a client base as jus finished my apprenticeship. jus scared in case i dont have enough money to pay bills :-(

You need to use that fear to motivate you hon. You have to succeed - so write a list of things to do to market yourself and make sure you do at least one thing every day - at least!

The only way to allay fear is to take control of the situation and by being proactive you'll feel more in control & less scared xxx

I felt the same when starting my home nail salon and fear is a good thing. Its the fear that will give you the drive and determination to succeed. Its the fear that will make you push yourself and do all in your power to make it work. Fear is good.

Go for it! Good luck :hug:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

One thing I will say as u have just qualified start as u mean to go on ,evey head u touch needs to be done in the salon and set a fixed price for family and friends and tell them now so they know the score,good luck let u know how u get on and we r here when u need us :-D

thanks guys feel like i can breathe a bit better now lol. do you rekon you make more money being self employed than employed? and whats the best insurance to go with? xx

Just want to wish you good luck :) I don't think you'd be normal if you weren't slightly scared. Best advice I can give is set up a Facebook page, I've had a lot of clients through there xx

thanks guys feel like i can breathe a bit better now lol. do you rekon you make more money being self employed than employed? and whats the best insurance to go with? xx

Yes if u r good at your job reliable and do a bit of advertising u will definitely make more im sure ,it take time to build a good reputation so don't panic x:-D

I went self employed at the start of April (rent a beauty room in a hairdresser) and I was the same as you, in fact I still am! I'm still really new to it all and learning new things all the time and still get worried when I look in the diary and see a quiet day. I have to say, it's only in the last 3 weeks that I've started to get noticeably busier but still have room for improvement. I still live at home with parents but I've managed to cover all my bills so far and taking a small wage at the moment, hopefully be able to increase it soon! The best advice I can give is to be patient and determined and you will succeed! It just takes time. As someone said before Facebook is a great method of free advertising and don't be scared to talk to everyone you meet about what you are doing. I've just done a big leaflet drop but not had any feedback yet. Hope this helps a little :)

Wow reading this makes me realise it's not just me that has freaked out recently, I've been self employed since march 2011 and was doing really well unfortunately things went A bit pear shaped in the salon I was working and had to move, since I've been a big mess and Very scared mainly of money and failure but thing is being self employed you are in charge of your own destiny, and If things aren't working out you can take charge and change it, im in a salon at the moment I don't particularly like and have the option of moving to a friendlier salon but with less footfall, which terrifies me to death. But I nearly went back to employed last week and this terrified me more! Self employed is flexible and there is always something you can do to earn the money. Hth and good luck xx

yh it is really scary wen uve gpt bills ect to pay but your right the best thing is you can make it wat you want. so im gonna order some flyers and bombard my town with them lol thankyou everyone for the support ! really chilled me out lol xx

Latest posts

Back