Impetigo - advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovelashes

Reaction score
My son has just been diagnosed with impetigo. I only have 3 clients booked over next 2 days and was considering rescheduling as a precaution but grateful for any advice x

Impetigo is pretty contagious, but as long as you wash thoroughly after having contact with your son, and before dealing with your clients, there should be no need to worry!! My little girl had it for months before she was actually diagnosed with it. ( after paying private as our doctors were rubbish!). She was able to go to school as long as it was covered. So depending on severity and of course your child's arrangements, you should be able to work as usual! You would never start a client without washing your hands and using sterile tools, therefore, no problem!
I wouldn't mention it to clients tho as its one of those things that can start people off!

I just saw an earlier thread on here about a therapist going into work with impetigo!!! Now that is a different matter. And especially with it on her face!! ( impetigo is only classified as 'safe' following antibiotics over a period of time and if it is fully covered, eg: not being touched, scratched, flaking, etc)
So if you son has it on a body part, which can be covered and he is not near the client area, and regular washing/ sanitising is taking place. You will have done all that would be required of you.
However, If your son, like the therapist in the previous thread has it all over his face, or if he will be spending all his time in the area you work, then it would be fair to say that it could be a hazard to you/ your clients!

But only you know your situation, and advice from your GP would be of benefit to you!
If the family of people with contagious illnesses ( impetigo/ measles/ chicken pox, etc didn't go to work, there would at times be no one in work!! You just have to use common sense!!

Thanks guys for your posts. I decided to cancel as a precaution but the predicament gets worse. Now child 2 has scarlet fever and child 1 impetigo. Dad and grandparent also come down with it. This is so difficult trying to run a business when you/your kids/childminders all coming down with stuff. I'd hate to reschedule the clients then come down with something myself. How do others cope with this or I'm a just having a run of bad luck?x

Thanks guys for your posts. I decided to cancel as a precaution but the predicament gets worse. Now child 2 has scarlet fever and child 1 impetigo. Dad and grandparent also come down with it. This is so difficult trying to run a business when you/your kids/childminders all coming down with stuff. I'd hate to reschedule the clients then come down with something myself. How do others cope with this or I'm a just having a run of bad luck?x

My two little girls, & husband have all had viral infections & sickness since last last Wednesday !!' Feel like its never gonna end. I can't work unless they are at school, youngest was off last week and oldest was off this week so I have had too rely on nanny a few days then have had to cancel appointments but offered 20% off for inconvenience caused. But my children always come first, I hate letting people down but it's one of them things that can't be helped. If a client weren't happy they can go elsewhere :)

Latest posts

Back