Impossible timings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently posted how I'm expected to do full set of acrylics in under an hour.
I've now just been told I have to do a file and polish, fingers and toes in no more than 30 mins.
Is this achievable?

I'm so fed up with getting told I'm too slow. Feel like giving up

it IS possible to all that in 30min but you know how rushed your client will feel?? i wonder if you manager/boss understands or even cares about that.

as for the wanting you to do a full set of nails in under an hour,here's a link that will back you up about 90min being VERY ACCEPTABLE :)

The Art of Nailz: Prices & Service Descriptions

it's a price list but it has times next to each service maggie offers. she's amazing! and has been in the business for a while, your times are the same as hers!

it's frustrating when your doing an amazing job (because i know you are :) ) and being told to compromise your work just to get clients in and out faster. but never give up! never give in to people like this, if you can look else where for employment or go out on your own but never give up because of one person :)

i say for shame! :p for shame that she has forgotten about client appreciation, that they come first (to a certain degree) because they are your bread and butter

The owner is a beauty therapist but doesn't do nails.
I was doing a set of acrylics and she told me to just skip the cuticle work.
I just can't do a botch job and then expect the client to pay top prices.
She has just signed up to groupon hence the 30min finger and toes limit.
Oh also she expects me to do polish pro in 30 mins too.
It's really getting me down and wishing I had never took the job

Ah! so there lies our answer!

Asking you to skip cuticle work is a big problem, this is very likely to cause lifting and definately reduce the quality of the treatments.

You are definately doing the right thing in questioning the timings she is asking for. You are doing her a favour by explaining the right way to do it.

Why anyone would want their salon to do rushed treatments is beyond me...it might mean that they get a lot of money in the short term but in the long run people won't return.

Just remember that you're not doing anything wrong and I admire your morals here.

My first salon job was like this too, 15 mins for a file & polish and an hour for acrylic or gel. I too was thinking maybe this isnt for me as I was so stressed but ya know when your backed into a corner you somehow manage. However, I then went to work in a day spa where the file & polish was double the price but 30 mins instead! I couldnt believe it was so expensive but getting the extra time enables you to do your best work! I now see such a difference. Keep your head up cause at the end of the day your not going to work there forever and its great experience. And in my opinion it will make you love your next job!x

I feel for you, i do a set off acrylics/tips in a hour,sulpt set takes me a hour and a half...no drills. polish ten/fifteen mins.french twenty mins...this is my 12th xmas in the salon,so got alot under my belt...you have to take in client paying/getting coats/coffee ect all extra time!!!
My girls book out appt times,knowing there times to do a good treatment,yes it is about making money...but making a happy client return!!!

Update!!!
Did her sisters nails in an hour and they were terrible so I'm just waiting on the boss seeing them as she wasn't in when I done them.

Suppose I did it on purpose so I could prove a point.

Her friend had a 30min finger and toes polish and they didn't look good either. The only polish she has in the salon is mini size bottles of opi so the brush is tiny and I'm really struggling with it

Another update...
Just got a text saying its not working out as my timings are too slow for the prices she's charging. Whatever that means.
Well at least now I can relax and do a proper job with no more cutting corners

Things happen for a reason hun, this will be the making of you. At least you know you will be happier without your ex boss breathing down your neck x

Just a little annoyed at her unprofessionalism! Sacking me by text. Ah well onwards and upwards!

Hey you dont need her! But what a rotten thing to do this close to Christmas and by text too. That is so mean! Says a lot about her so you are better off out of there I would think.

Good luck with your future - yes onwards and upwards!

xx

I think you are much better off out of there. Skipping cuticle work would have caused all sorts of lifting etc, clients would hesitate about coming back and then would you have any clients to do these timings on? If it was me and I'd continued working there, I would have probably made myself ill with the stress of it all.

Sacking by text is awful, how unprofessional of her! Plus this close to Christmas?!

Take Christmas as a break and get back out there in the new year, take this time to think about what you really want to do. Mobile/self-employed and look for jobs in other salons if that is what you would prefer to do.

Good luck hun, I hope 2012 is better for you.

Thank you for your kind words. I was making myself ill with the stress. Can't wait to see the back of 2011 it's been such a bad year for me. Bring on 2012 xx

1 hour!!:eek: I couldnt do that either 90 mins is a reasonable time and as far as I am aware the normal time for a full set. I have had my nails done in those types of places Were your in and out in minutes and it feels rushed as they have people waiting and it's not a nice experience you don't feel pampered or well treated plus the nails are rubbish too because they are rushed. I'd find another salon to work in!

Thank you for your kind words. I was making myself ill with the stress. Can't wait to see the back of 2011 it's been such a bad year for me. Bring on 2012 xx

chin up! i think this is a win/win situation for you because your boss has shown her true colours via a lack of professionalism so you know you're best off out of there anyway.

i think the fact that she sacked you before christmas is a blessing in disguise because you can enjoy the holidays without worrying about going back there.

and hey, you've got some salon experience behind you :) well done for sticking with even when it sucked because that takes some doing.

chin up! i think this is a win/win situation for you because your boss has shown her true colours via a lack of professionalism so you know you're best off out of there anyway.

i think the fact that she sacked you before christmas is a blessing in disguise because you can enjoy the holidays without worrying about going back there.

and hey, you've got some salon experience behind you :) well done for sticking with even when it sucked because that takes some doing.

Thanks again. I'm feeling a bit pissed off today but I'm sure it will pass come tomorrow xx

Latest posts

Back