improving training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllumeGirl

Reaction score
i would like some input from geeks regarding training.
i am starting this Saturday lecturing l&p.
i do have to follow the colleges syllabus understandably but am able to add to it (time permitting).
looking back on your training what did you feel was missing?
what would have really helped you?
i would love the class (and ones i have attended myself) to be smaller but obviously then the cost to the students would be much greater..so that's unfortunately out of the question.
apart from showing the girls the"correct" way of doing things i will also be showing them the wrong way (in regards to l&p application) that's my little brainstorm,lol.
also i will be offering them free of charge mentoring and extra training with my personal clients and introducing them to this site (only those that show promise and enthusiasm though!)
any suggestions?
please keep the thread nice and constructive i don't want it to open a can of worms,lol.:eek:

I think explanations are often lacking. We get told do thisnotdo this because...then people cut corners because it's easier & don't understand why it's important to do certain things.
Besides this site, introduce them all to Doug Schoon's book. I think it gives the most understandable explanations for everything.

recognising the fact that some students "just can't do nails", doing nails is artistic and some people don't have an artistic bone in their body. They get brownie point for persistence ..... but some fledglings should just GIVE UP.

You could introduce this site and Gigis "Nail Class" as a really good book for a guide.
xxxc:green:

I think explanations are often lacking. We get told do thisnotdo this because...then people cut corners because it's easier & don't understand why it's important to do certain things.
Besides this site, introduce them all to Doug Schoon's book. I think it gives the most understandable explanations for everything.
yes its important to understand why, definitely! i have never had a look at Doug's book..would be a worthwhile investment...thank you:)

recognising the fact that some students "just can't do nails", doing nails is artistic and some people don't have an artistic bone in their body. They get brownie point for persistence ..... but some fledglings should just GIVE UP.
you know in all honesty, i was probably in this group,lol:eek: when i first began, it didn't come easily to me,but i did hang in there, i deserve alot of brownie points, i was an expert at creating mis shapen mountains:lol:

You could introduce this site and Gigi's "Nail Class" as a really good book for a guide.
xxxc:green:
thanks Rachel, it is tempting to introduce them to this site in the beginning but it could be information overload during their course,but definitely will, once they are qualified. i have Gigi's nail class and it is excellent for explaining things simply but very well..i love it.

Hi
Maybe when the course is finished then let them know there is Salon Geek. You are right, if the come and look here in the beginning they may get a bit boggled by everything!
xxxx:green:

It's a great idea you had. I always show my students the 'wrong' way and the 'right' way, a bit of a mini assessment. We then discuss, and the students have their say, as to why we chose what. I then tell them why right is right and wrong is wrong.
Students like to 'see' what they are doing. I don't teach nails, I'm a nail tech student but I do teach other stuff and students are students whatever they learn.
However, I would be careful about offering them free of charge mentoring. etc. Some students can be quite needy and if you are overly NICE and FRIENDLY you can never get rid of them.
Good luck
Jane

Latest posts

Back