in a Pickle with paperwork

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayt

Reaction score
I’m getting in a bit of a pickle with my paperwork. When I was not so busy it seemed easy but now things are taking off im getting a bit mixed up.
I have the standard forms which I use for my consultation, with then an extra card attached so I can write notes. This part is fine,

But how do you all keep information such as a treatments date, bookings, cancellations, enquires vouchers sold/redeemed. clients address telephone numers email ?

I just seem to have notes everywhere. My husband keeps telling me to use the computer which is fine. But our computer is upstairs when im at home with the children I want to be able to see them and find books much easier to fill in when I have a spare five minuets.

Any advice gratefully received

you've lost me already. How much paper work do you do per client? I have a consultation sheet and fit everything on it, after the initial consultation it takes about 5 mins per visit to fill in the sheet.

I am self employed ( only since Aug 07 ) I am struggling with keeping my records in any order. Money in/out how. Vouchers, type of treatment client has, marketing, just general info. do people use a computer ( for a salon I would think you do ) or do people just keep books, I think I may be trying to keep to much information.

I am self employed ( only since Aug 07 ) I am struggling with keeping my records in any order. Money in/out how. Vouchers, type of treatment client has, marketing, just general info. do people use a computer ( for a salon I would think you do ) or do people just keep books, I think I may be trying to keep to much information.

I do both. I have an accounts book that i bought from a local Sally's, and an appointment system that i use which i log all my takings and outgoings on. I have a tendency on doubling up on everything, so whilst i have a computerised booking system, i also have an appointment book to make sure that if one is lost, i always have the other... and my basis is the same for my accounts.

I log my takings at the end of each day, and I keep all receipts for money out. That is logged in my book once a week and all the receipts/invoices are numbered, and that number is put next to the entry in the book. The receipts are then kept in a box file for reference.

Client information is seperate to account information. If they have made a purchase, i note the details on their record card. it sounds as if you're trying to tie in your clients record cards with your accounts - you will get into a state doing that. Try and keep that seperate. Just do a tally at the end of each day of what your takings were through services and retail. you may want to keep a stock check listing, so you can update this when retail sales are made.

For vouchers, a simple list somewhere giving the vouchers a "number" and updating it when you need to should be sufficient.

I think the easiest thing is to "think basic".... i think you're making it all far more complicated than it needs to be which is why you're in a pickle.

if you need any more help, give me a shout. I'm self employed recently too so happy to help if i can.

At the moment as im only doing nails i have one folder i dont use the consultation cards i print off all the information on 1 sheet and then i also print off a sheet like a table where i have the time,date,treatment and price. i put them both in the slippery hold things then put it in the folder.Then i at the back of my folder i have a sheet which again i printed off myself which is a table of every month this year with intakes box, out goings and losses and gains boxes. Its very simple and easy. In my diary i write in if i have bought something business wise and also write when a client books and how much.
hths xx

YOU NEED 4 BOOKS 1. adiary 2. income ( dates names howmuch ) 3. Expenses ( write down how much things cost and when they were used up (also keep eceipts in the back with paperclips) at the end of the month do a spreadsheat income - allowable expenses. 4. log book - if you travel how many miles and when .
Also have an address book for regular clients .
The inland revenue do a free course for sole traders /startups they have branches all over the country - i went on the introductory course and it was very lightweight and put my mind at rest give them a call .
i keep my books ( which are just notebooks with big sticky labels on) in a spare drawer - along with my calculator and bills for my business ( which are in those plastic document folder
with the sliding clamp) and i just go through everything once a month with my diary and bank statement

Last edited:
yes, very similar for me.

I have an A5 consultation card, on the front is personal info including email, contact details, also contra-indications, health questions, also how they found out about me.
On the back is a table, date, treatment, treatment time, comments, payment, in the payment I put GV for gift voucher.

For accounts, I put all receipts in monthly envelopes.
I then have a spreadsheet typed up in excel.
It has all my expenditure in it, which I take from the receipts.

My incomings, are worked out (can't remember how but think I go through my diary) and I also am employed too so that is taken into consideration.

I then hand everything over to my book man/accountant with my printed off excel sheets and he does my tax return for me.

I did my own tax return for 4 years, once with the help of the IR who virtually did it for me.
But I am pleased to hand that over to the professionals.

Latest posts

Back