In UK, what do grades 1 and 2 mean in terms of housing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satchel

Reaction score
I like to look at real estate online. What does it mean in the UK when they say it's a grade 1 or a grade 2? I gather one is better than the other, but how?

Thanks :) (I've visited Uk, but never lived there. I daydream a lot and love to browse little cottages in the cotswolds. A girl can dream.)

Hi I live very near the Cotswolds. I am sure grade 1 and grade 2 are listed buildings, which means things like you can't change the appearance of a house by adding a satellite dish, painting it etc..... I do bridal hair and makeup. Take a look at a place called Bibury, I work here often beautiful village as is bourton on the water.

Thank you for explaining x. So you can't even change the paint inside? I will look at Bibury. There is absolutely nothing that can replicate a beautiful English countryside. Especially come spring and the new green it sprouts. Y'all are really lucky :)

(I'm doing a Skype consult with a homeopathic vet in oxfordshire. I have a little diabetic dog. Sent off her lock of fur and files this week. Wish we were visiting in person.)

Can't explain it, but something about English countryside that is just about perfection.

Wow!!! Google imaging Bibury now. Lucky, you!!! Absolute perfection. It's soooo pretty.

With Grade 1 listed properties you can't change anything external or internal in the property. With grade 2 you can change the internal but not the external.

As far as I know anyway! :) x

It's usually when a building is very old so it's protected in that there are certain structural changes that you can't make.

Thank you xx! I read comments and also clicked link. Now I understand. Can't really make major changes. Thank you.

You folks that live near or at Cotswolds are seriously lucky. :Love:

... mmm My last house was built in about 1812.

It wasn't listed but I had all the usual perks of plaster falling off the walls, no damp proof course and foundations only 2 bricks deep. :lick:

Latest posts

Back