Industry standards Panel Discussion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABTAC

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

We are having a panel discussion at BeautyUK, the topic is industry standards. Our expert panel includes:

• Vice Chair of BABTAC & CIBTAC and owner of ISIS Beauty Academy, Carolyne Cross
  • Past Chair of BABTAC & CIBTAC and CIBTAC examiner, Val Cooke
  • Owner of award winning salons GLOW, Sara Shoemarker
We understand this is a hot topic for Geeks, so why not take this opportunity to put forward your questions to our expert panel. Post your questions in the thread below...

Kind Regards
The BABTAC team

One day courses is clearly a very hotly debated topic on here and one I've joined in on several occasions even in the short time I have been in the industry and on SG.
Whilst I dislike how many judge everyone who have come into the industry through this as not up to scratch I am leaning towards agreeing in part with them - I take great pride in my treatments, but for some it's nothing more than "an easy money maker"... which personally I don't think it is!
Are there plans for a more detailed exam, both practical and written (and I don't mean with the manuals open in front of them!) in order for someone to gain accreditation?
Are there plans for "under cover" checks on the accredited training providers to ensure that standards are being consistently met? Mystery shopping style...
I think this and consulting with therapists and salon owners on what they would like to see improved on techs they hire or shortcomings in training they have participated in could tighten things up and really help tighten the industry up to the standards that most of us on here already aim for but would like everyone to meet as a minimum :)

Tine

I feel a particular issue with industry standards is the variety of qualification standards available and the public perception that people within the beauty sector aren't as intelligent.
I believe BABTAC picked up on this in the last issue of Vitality. Where it was discussed that Beauty is sometimes used as a dumping ground for girls who are regarded as not very bright.
If this is the case then we as an industry should ensure that girls (or boys for that matter) who have been failed by the comprehensive system find themselves on robust courses with a focus on high standards both in practical and theory. The vocational course should be equipping students for life in industry (as apprenticeships of old) but we so often read on this very site how college leavers are not trained to an adequate standard.

I myself studied at college in the evenings and was absolutely appalled by the quality of the teaching. In fact I found it incredibly hard to complete the course as the standard was so low. I know I am not the only person to find this, I have heard this sentiment echoed on salon geek and in real life by other therapists who returned to study beauty as mature learners.

Last edited:
I have a great idea, but i hope everyone is with me on it.

I feel that the industry although has no way of knowing if someone is qualified, have a industry standard free of charge course via business link. Not only with you cover newbies but also pre-existing therapists/hairdressers, salons etc to sign up.

I also feel that within this you could set a mission statement of what your company/salon/treatments is about, rather than mystery shoppers as everyone has a different view of treatments and different way of applying them.

I think everything could be incorporated into a manual, that can sit in your coffee waiting room, (mobiles in your trolley!) but is customised so it outlays qualifications, mission statment, hygiene, maybe prices, policies. Therefore not only can clients not be confused as what is offered but also the therapist can prove that this is affliated with babtac.

As a lot of therapist have come out of the scene, i feel if your in the industry that you should have at least one course within 2-3years to refresh your skills. Out of this time for people that have left the industry and come back, have a fast track course to refresh their skills, within over a 6 month period. The industry standard could incorporate this also as a guildline to widdle out the cowboys and cowgirls to ensure that they are updating their skills.

What do you think? xoxo

Hi @Tinxy @Victoria1984 @Wonderwoman

Thanks for replying, there are some really interesting comments and ideas coming through here, which gives us masses of inspiration as to what questions we can put to our expert panel. Taking on board your fantastic feedback, and just so we haven't missed anything, is there a question in particular that you would like to see put forward to our expert panel?

We're really loving the passion here for our industry!

Kind Regards
The BABTAC team

is there a question in particular that you would like to see put forward to our expert panel?

How can we create a standard that satisfies not only insurers and therapists but also employers and how can we ensure that this standard is maintained and monitored?

when are we going to have a NATIONAL minimum standard for Nail Techs to stop just anyone opening a nail salon??

Is the industry ever likely to be regulated?

I really like what *wonderwomen* has suggested. A set of national minimum standards would be great. Though I appreciate that with devolution having a UK wide scheme would be problematic to implement.

My question would be: what action can be taken to reverse the dumb-ing down of standards and ensure college leavers are being throughly prepared for industry.

My second question (which ties in with the first) is what action can be taken to ensure progression of qualifications in new treatments (namely IPL/ Laser/ Teeth Whitening etc).
I am aware that there is a Level 4 in IPL but this seems to have been developed by a particular manufacturer in conjunction with VTCT & I am concerned it maybe be a glorified manufacturers training course.

Latest posts

Back