Ingrown FINGER nails.... Yes/ No?!?!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebe_cat

Reaction score
I have a client who has been coming to me for a few weeks. She is a biter, but not what I would call severe, she doesn't bite below the hyponichium... Anyway, If you can imagine the shape of a CND Eclipse tip, where there is a slight curve, but then quite a dramatic angle at the sidewalls, then you will have an idea of the shape of her nails.

She has had about 3 rebalances but last week requested that the nails were removed as they were becoming sore at the side walls. When I looked, they definatley looked sore, and a couple were quite puffy, so I did a soak off and manicure. I advised her to come back for a weekly manicure and that we'd keep an eye on them.

She came in today, and 4 days ago had had to go to the chemist and get antibiotics, because 2 of her sidewalls had gone pussy!

The way it looks to me, is that her nails have always been very short. She has a relatively low hyponichium, and as the nails are growing to the end of her fingers they are actually cutting the skin. Before applying the first enhancements there were no rough or sharp bits left on the free edge. The angle of the bend at each edge of the nail is the sharpest I have ever seen, it is practically a 90' angle.

She regularly sees my business partner, who is a chiropodist, because she suffers with ingrown toenails, not just on her big toe, but on 7 of her toes, as they curve just as steeply!

Firstly, is it possible to have ingrown fingernails.....
Secondly is there anything I can do! I have advised that she finishes the course of antibiotics to get rid of any infection, I spent nearly and hour and a half on a manicure today, ensuring there was not a single rough edge on her nails or sidewalls. But looking down the barrel of the nail, I can see that the nail is gonna have to force it's way deeply down the sidewall in order to make the kind of groove that we all normally have!

HELP!!!:eek:

You shouldn't really be performing any manicure service on her if she has 'pussy' nails, you should wait until she has finished her course of anti-biotics and has the all clear. If this lady is a regular client of your friend why not ask her advice on this lady?

I have no idea if you can get ingrowing fingernails, but I don't see why not. I completely understand what you mean about the nail having to slice through the skin to grow out normally. I had an ingrowing toenail which couldn't be sorted out and had to have a side piece removed but then the skin healed faster than the nail could repair itself and the nail had no choice but to pierce through skin whilst growing again. 4 operations later I ended up having to have the whole toe nail removed (annoying as it is my big toe so very noticeable)

Anyways, I would make sure she keeps her nails short if they have no room to grow out or the problem will only get worse.

Hi, thanks for your reply, sorry, should have made it clear, on the 2 nails that were pussy, I didn't perform any treatment obviously.

As my business partner is a chiropodist, she is unable to advise me if ingrown fingernails exist or not, as all her training is purely in the area of feet.

If it were the case that her nails were ingrowing, then the only advise my partner would be able to give me would be foot based, and would not enable my client to grow her nails past the free edge.

Thanks for the answer tho hun:hug:

Latest posts

Back