Ingrown toe nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMB

Reaction score
My client was on the verge on developing an ingrown toe nail today, my colleague filed it for her last time she had her pedi but today there wasnt much i could do for her in the way of filing it as i belived she should let it grow a bit and then ensure that she files only straight across, i did advise her that there is a tape you can buy to put under the nail to encourage it not to grow into the skin, but i cant remember the name of this tape, does anyone know of it? and have i given the correct advise? any help much appreciado! xxx

i sometimes cut a tiny " v " in the free edge this relieves pressure

juts off topic slightly but i have had quite a few clients that had suffered with ingrown toe nails and since having gel overlays on their toes they don't have this problem...anyone else...?

i have a client that regulary has to visit a chiropodist due to a really bad thickened pincer big toe nail on one foot and a brown rotten dead nail on her other,
i actually applied l and p product to either side of the pincer nail to even it out, ( basically reformed it )
and applied the same product to the other nail reconstructing the toe nail with an opaque powder
since she s had them on for eight weeks now, she has said shes not had any need to visit the chiropodist and the nail seems to be growing more " properly " now and is not causing her discomfort like it used to
i am very pleased with the look of the nails, as she is but comfort factor again is much improved

Well I suffer from them my self... and would have to say that wearing enhancments have helped.. but i still do get them occassionally. I have also cut the tiny V in the free edge and ...."rip"... caught it in the bed sheets... blood etc... do I have to say more..
From personal experience I would never try that again. I wish i would have been brave enough just to have them cut out permentally... i am phobic of needles.

juts off topic slightly but i have had quite a few clients that had suffered with ingrown toe nails and since having gel overlays on their toes they don't have this problem...anyone else...?

This has absolutely worked for me. I used to suffer with horrible ingrowns. I would just about cry if anyone came near my feet. I couldn't bear to grow them out, they would be so inflamed and sore, so I kept cutting them down into the corners to relieve the pain. Naughty I know, but when they hurt so much you can't wear shoes:cry:.

I put a gel overlay on one day (coloured) and left it on for ages because I didn't get time redo them. By the time I filed it off to change colours my toenails had grown out. I didn't realise they had grown so long because there was no pain at all, no ingrowns. Now I keep them a bit longer and file them straight across so it doesn't happen again.

I'm not sure why the gel overlay helped. My only guess it that it makes the nail just that bit thicker, so it wasn't able to get under the corner of skin and become ingrown.

Yep, since I've been wearing gel on my own toes my ingrown toenail is no longer ingrown. :)

i sometimes cut a tiny " v " in the free edge this relieves pressure

Could you describe this a wee bit more please? I'm trying to picture this in my head and I think I know what you mean. Where exactly would you cut the v and how much? Thanks.

I'm not sure why the gel overlay helped. My only guess it that it makes the nail just that bit thicker, so it wasn't able to get under the corner of skin and become ingrown.

Have to agree with the rest, that's true. Gel/acrylic makes it firm and straight so the nail wont curve and go into the flesh.

Like you, I saved my toes like that also, and also by chance :idea: Now I offer that to my clients (for a price of one gel nail) and they love it! I've done loads of those! And not only to ingrown toes, but to ones that are too small, short or something, and they really look great when you add some length... some girls found one time enough, because nail had grown out of that critical point where it grows in, and some liked the new look so much that they keep maintaining it. But I never, never touch nails that are sore or infected... those I send to doctors.

And of course, I would never say - oh, come to me, all you with ingrown toenails, I will heal you. It's just a little trick that helps mild cases.

I've to go get my toenail removed on Monday and i'm bricking it so if these little tricks help keep your clients away from the surgeon then you are all geniuses!

Unfortunately my damaged nail was due to a bad fall and not ingrown or i would have cancelled the appointment and slapped on some gel x

Could you describe this a wee bit more please? I'm trying to picture this in my head and I think I know what you mean. Where exactly would you cut the v and how much? Thanks.

imagine where you would apply white on the free edge during a french manicure?
normally near the side that is painful, so i nick a little upside down " v " out of that free edge area, just on the free edge, its enough to allow the nail to release from the skin side where its ingrowing, and almost closes up the v afterwards
yes it might catch on bedding etc, so maybe wear a sock or something , but the relief can be so lovely its worth it lol
does that make sense tracey?:eek:

im rotten at explaining, but you know what i mean dont you??? lol:hug:

Latest posts

Back