Insomnia!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnailsbylisax

Reaction score
I have battled with this on/off ever since i was diagnosed with severe depression 3 years ago. This time it has returned with a vengence. I don't know if it is stress related or what but all i know is i can go nights without any sleep whatsoever. I lay in bed tossing & turning, can't doze off, restless legs keep me awake, my mind won't shut off. I sound like a nervous wreck :biggrin:

I feel like i should see my GP but i really don't want any meds for it like last time. I have a 4 year old so sleeping tablets are out of the question. Anyone know any natural ways other than hitting myself over the hea with my biggest frying pan?

Aw it's rubbish isn't it. I've suffered with it a lot in my life and the restless leg syndrome makes it impossible too.

Ive found that changing my diet helped. Just changing to good balanced meals has been such a difference for me. a couple of months ago I wasn't sleeping till 3, 4, 5 in the morning, but since I've made subtle changes to my diet its been great. I can't take sleeping pills one because they aren't a long term solution and two im pregnant. My doc explained that even if you lie in bed awake your body still gets the chance to rest, of course sleep is so much better but at least you've rested as such. You could pop to your gp and see if he can refer you to physio for your restless leg or look up some of the RLS websites to see if there's any exercises you can do to help. It's horrible when you feel that everyone is asleep except you isn't it :(

Hope you get some rest and sleep soon. xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Aw it's rubbish isn't it. I've suffered with it a lot in my life and the restless leg syndrome makes it impossible too.

Ive found that changing my diet helped. Just changing to good balanced meals has been such a difference for me. a couple of months ago I wasn't sleeping till 3, 4, 5 in the morning, but since I've made subtle changes to my diet its been great. I can't take sleeping pills one because they aren't a long term solution and two im pregnant. My doc explained that even if you lie in bed awake your body still gets the chance to rest, of course sleep is so much better but at least you've rested as such. You could pop to your gp and see if he can refer you to physio for your restless leg or look up some of the RLS websites to see if there's any exercises you can do to help. It's horrible when you feel that everyone is asleep except you isn't it :(

Hope you get some rest and sleep soon. xxx

My diet is pretty poor :( never thought about that. I know last time i went to GP they mentioned CBT for insomnia but i have no idea what that is! I finally nodded at at 5.45 and was up at 7 :( xx

Lisa for 3-4 years my insomnia was very severe it was almost ruining my life....every day I started to dread the evening because I knew I wouldn't sleep ,so that stressing started to prevent me from sleeping .

I really think if you haven't experienced it you have no idea just how bad it really is.

I completely changed my diet,I cut out anything stimulating after 4pm ie chocolate,sugar,tea,coffee etc and have a look at food that triggers melatonin production ie milk,turkey and some pastas....

Melatonin is the chemical that produces sleep.

Why don't you google diets for insomnia !

I also refused meds as didn't want to rely on them but would often be at the doctors in tears the morning after a bad night!

Try not to think about when you get into bed but I know it's easier said than done....I found a great big bowl of pasta and a large red wine use to make me drowsy....

Hope you get it sorted but I think a dietary change may help x

Cbt is cognitive behaviour therapy which is just trying to calm your mind down with different thought patterns before bed.i don't think it works personally

I suffer really bad with depression & anxiety so i think that starts it off. Will def look into changing my diet. I feel as though i am running on empty!

I suffer really bad with depression & anxiety so i think that starts it off. Will def look into changing my diet. I feel as though i am running on empty!

I know the feeling...I use to feel like I was almost having an of of body experience floating around ...too tired to function but too anxious and nervous to rest......it's horrendous.

I have also been there too with anxiety and depression... I still have bad days but I really researched what was going on inside my body with anxiety and insomnia and when I became aware of the chemical science behind it all I wasn't scared anymore of it ruining my life and it gradually got less and less

I know when you are in the middle of feeling awful with lack of sleep all you want is it to stop with quick solutions but I think it takes time too! I know it sounds like not much but spirituality and a lot of self help books( the secret etc) helped me.

I've also suffered with it since I was diagnosed with chronic depression 5 years ago.
It's awful, I know what you mean about the out of body experience, It's like I'm drunk!
My doc give me some good advice. Don't go to bed until your tired. Make sure your house and most importantly bedroom is free of clutter, clutter free home = clutter free mind. Don't watch tv in bed it stimulates your mind. Read a book if you can't drop off. The more you lay there thinking you can't sleep the more you won't. No caffeine products a few hours before bed
I really feel for you hun. No one understands it until they go through it x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I have had this constantly since I was about 13, I'm 22 next week. I think the earliest I have ever slept in all those years was at 11.30 and because I was on sedation medication!

At one stage when I had no job I wasn't sleeping until 3.00pm..the next day! I would stay up all night and all morning and afternoon and watch my laptop and clean the house and then sit around with my family having their breakfast and then I would finally go to sleep just as my mother came home from work. I would be sleeping then until about 6 or 7 so by then you cant do anything or go anywhere on weekdays so I never left the house. I was in the house for 3 weeks without stepping outside the door once mainly because I was asleep at the times and I had literally no money. I only ever wore pjs and no make up, my poor boyfriend stuck with me the whole way and even would stay up until 6.00am with me even though he would be in work the next day, I barely talked to him I just say there on my laptop and I feel terrible thinking back about it.

That was one of the worst stages of my life even though I'm only young but I never want that again..now I go asleep at about 4.00am and thats just my routine now..its normal to me.

I find one if the only things that helps me drift off is reading a book. Having said that, I dont have kids so I can only imagine how much extra stress that would put on the situation. I really hope you can get this sorted soon its really horrible x

yes my insomnia is definitely linked to my ocd and anxiety. I didn't have a massive change in diet just eating at normal times, normal portion sizes and introducing more fruit and veg in to my diet. I actually enjoy going to bed now, I hated it before it used to really upset me. I still have the odd bad night of course but im confident in knowing I'll make up for my lost sleep the next night. xxx good luck xxx

Latest posts

Back