Insurance for teaching

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
Was wondering how many geeks who teach have extra insurance to cover themselves?

If you give a certificate out so that that student can become a practioner in it, your insurance may not cover you.

Scary thought!

Do you think it is necessary to get this extra cover or not?

Look forward to your replies.

Was wondering how many geeks who teach have extra insurance to cover themselves?

If you give a certificate out so that that student can become a practioner in it, your insurance may not cover you.

Scary thought!

Do you think it is necessary to get this extra cover or not?

Look forward to your replies.
anyone out there?

yes hsbc do it!

they will send out forms to you if you call them. try direct line and more than too as i think they do it.

kate x

It all depends on who does your Liability insurance. Mine is through H & L Balen and underwritten by Zurich, if you are teaching stuff you are already qualified in then they just add it to your policy.

Other insurers require a City & Guilds Teaching qualification or similar before they will cover you and have a hefty premium increase. Also if you want to have your course accredited by some of the associations they often require the Teaching qualification and of course that is more to pay out.

Mat

It all depends on who does your Liability insurance. Mine is through H & L Balen and underwritten by Zurich, if you are teaching stuff you are already qualified in then they just add it to your policy.

Other insurers require a City & Guilds Teaching qualification or similar before they will cover you and have a hefty premium increase. Also if you want to have your course accredited by some of the associations they often require the Teaching qualification and of course that is more to pay out.

Mat
Mat, its Balens that I'm with. I am fine to teach, but if I want to give a certificate to qualify them, I need an insurance policy that is an extra 50% of my insurance.

Probably a bit different to your situation as I educate for EzFlow but I have to pay an extra insurance premium to teach students in my premises even though Graftons issue the certificates and not me personally.

Mat, its Balens that I'm with. I am fine to teach, but if I want to give a certificate to qualify them, I need an insurance policy that is an extra 50% of my insurance.

Yes, I remember that now - when I spoke to them they said that, but I'm only doing CPD stuff so didn't need to do it.

50% weighting still sounds good compared to some of the other policies. Just make sure you check how they calculate the weighting. If there is a weighting for another treatment is that included in the 50%? In what order is the weighting applied or is it always calculated on the base policy cost.

Mat - talk english, I lost you at the first 'weighting'.

You have 5 tables to look at and see which category you fall into. I'm category 4 but that covers me for every treatment I do, and would want to teach.
I then have to add 50% of that price.

Mat what would you say is the difference between an accreditted course and a CPD course?

Balens told me, if I teach, I'm covered. If I issue a certificate that allows them to be a practioner, I need extra cover. If you are issuing certificates for your CPD courses, why is that deemed as covered under your original policy?

In order for your students to get insurance with us, you need to be accredited. This means sending in all your course details for us to assess. If you want to know more, email [email protected], call 0845 2177 385 or PM me.

In order for your students to get insurance with us, you need to be accredited. This means sending in all your course details for us to assess. If you want to know more, email [email protected], call 0845 2177 385 or PM me.
Hi Louisa,
yes I know that and have been dealing with the lovely Sarah about this, but it was the extra insurance that I am querying.

What is the difference between CPD points and an accreditted course? I go on lots of CPD courses AND get an accreditted certificate so that my insurance company accept it.

We can offer teaching insurance as an extension to our membership to cover your students whilst they are in the classroom. If you are interested in this, feel free to give us a call so that we can assess your requirements.

A Guild accredited course means that your students can gain insurance with us. CPD stands for Continual Professional Development and all lecturers in the beauty and holistic fields are required obtain CPD points annually to meet employment requirements. The two things are separate.

If it helps... BABTAC's policy covers you to teach (so long as you are suitably qualified) at no extra cost.

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

If it helps... BABTAC's policy covers you to teach (so long as you are suitably qualified) at no extra cost.

If its a teaching qualification you require that is about £650 - £850 to get a City & Guilds 7303 with these guys.

The "weighting" i was talking about what the % extra that is added to your cover. Before they changed underwriters you needed to add x% for Hopi Ear Candles and then x% for teaching. This has now changed.

For CPD courses I will issue a Certificate of Attendance rather than a Diploma / Qualification.

Mat

Latest posts

Back