Interesting findings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitterbox81

Reaction score
I was having trouble deciding what courses to do this year and also was interested in whether the treatments I already offer are what my customers want so I knocked up a quick 4 question survey on surveymonkey put it on the business facebook page and asked people to fill it in. Had 20 responses so far.

One of the questions was which treatments would you consider having?
Surprisingly spray tans and eyelash extensions have no takers at all yet (which is really making me regret my £300 EE course last month!), no interest in HD brows

Nail enhancements/extensions have only got 1 vote.

Everyone has voted for manicures/pedicures and gelpolish/Shellac

And about half of the responders have said they'd be interested in make-up, waxing, facials and massage.

Going to leave it til the end of the week to see if more people respond but it's certainly an eye opener. I was planning on doing the Brisa Lite course but now I'm thinking the money will be better spent on facials and waxing/massage (I'm already booked into a make-up course).

I also asked what types of offers people preferred and loyalty cards and money off a specific treatment are winning that so far- refer a friend has no votes and buy 1 treatment get money off another only has 2 votes.

Might be an idea for other people who are trying to decide which courses/offers to do etc it only took me 5 minutes to create the survey.

Can I ask what 4 questions you asked?

It seems like a really good idea. Do you reward people for answering the questions or just said please and thank you?

X

I asked:
'how often do you have treatments' and then gave a few options from once a week through to special occasions only.

'what treatments would you like to try' and then listed as many as I could think of and set it so they could tick as many as applied. I added in the treatments I already offer too just to see what they thought of them.

'how would you like to get your treatment' - home based salon, salon in my estate, salon in centre of town, mobile (this was specific for me as I've set up a home based salon but was wondering whether I'd be better renting a room in a 'proper' salon or learning to drive to go mobile- so far my current home salon and mobile are even stevens so think I'm going to introduce mobile appointments too)

and

'what is your favourite kind of special offer' loyalty card eg buy 5 spray tans get 1 free, a percentage off your total bill, a discount off a specific treatment, a refer a friend scheme eg refer a friend get a treatment half price, buy one treatment get a discount off another.

on each question I included an 'other' option so they could type suggestions or whatever.

The results have surprised me so I think it's definitely been worth it. I really thought that things like renting a salon would be popular because personally I'd be a bit wary of going to someone's house for a treatment but no-one has voted for that. It's helped me decide what to do next too - facials, which again I didn't think would be that popular.

I was planning to do a prize draw for responses but in the end I didn't bother.

That's really good. Can I steal your idea? It wouldn't be identical but I'd love to know what my clients thought to those questions. And I have a couple of my own!

Of course. I'm wishing I'd done it sooner (preferably before spending that £300 on eyelash extension training that my customers evidently don't even want!). Oh well we live and learn.

It's a REALLY good idea, as it's dangerous to base our livelihoods on whims and assumptions...

I've done it. I spent a lot of today doing a newsletter both to print out and hand to clients and email to my database. I have just edited the email version to include the survey.

I put 7 questions

1)how often do you have treatments? Multiple choice choose 1, with other, please specify as a choice
2) what treatments would you consider having? Multiple choice choose as many as you want, with other please specify as a choice
3) what are you favourite special offers? Multiple choice choose up to 3, with other please specify as a choice
4) what is your age? The grouped ages of 5ish years together starting at 18-24 years olds 24-29 and so on.
5) gender? That's an obvious one
6) would you like to be added to our email list to receive news and special offers? Yes, no and Email address.

I can't remember what the 7th was.

I am looking to introduce a new treatment this year and it we be nice to get a bit of feedback before we did it. I'd also like to know what kind of special offers my clients want, rather than taking a stab in the dark!

A productive day I think (and hope) :)

Latest posts

Back