Interview tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhair&beauty1x

Xhair&beautyx
Reaction score
Hey geeks!

Sooo exciting! I finally got the balls to send out my CV to other salons/spas and I've got a interview on Friday!! I can't believe it! I'm excited but completely freaking out at the same time as it's the kind of place I'd really like to work as it's a hotel spa, any tips as to what types of questions they may ask me? What not to say/what to say? What questions to ask?

Thank you in advance! X X X X

Dress smartly, smile lots and plan your answers in advance for the commonest questions:
least favourite treatments and weakest areas.
Also, favourite treatments (and why) and your strengths.
Why do you want to work for us?
Make sure you know what range of services they offer and what product brands they use.
They're likely to offer commission on sales so make sure you are positive about demo-ing and selling products to clients, even if you do find it daunting.

Don't dwell on negative points but breezily find a positive.

For instance, I inwardly wince when clients have unrealistic expectations when they show you a picture of a celebrity and say they want to look like her. So in that case, I'd find out what it was about the picture that they liked and look for the client's best features, eye colour, pretty smile etc. and explain how a certain colour, length, style will enhance those lovely features.

When they ask if you have any questions, don't ask for specific salary details at that point. Leave that until they have made you an offer and then you can negotiate. Instead ask them things like 'what is their most popular treatment', etc. Ask about training opportunities but be careful to make it about what you can bring to their business and not about what you want them to do for you.

Unless they employ an HR professional, most employers don't relish interviewing new staff and find it quite stressful so try to make it easy for them by being open and friendly.

We all perform better with experience, so try practising some interview role play with a partner, parent etc. It might make it feel less stressful if you had a laugh practising beforehand.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Hey geeks!

Sooo exciting! I finally got the balls to send out my CV to other salons/spas and I've got a interview on Friday!! I can't believe it! I'm excited but completely freaking out at the same time as it's the kind of place I'd really like to work as it's a hotel spa, any tips as to what types of questions they may ask me? What not to say/what to say? What questions to ask?

Thank you in advance! X X X X

I totally agree with AcidPerm, you've got to look the part. I would also do some research on the business to prepare before-hand, that's a great way to impress the interviewer. Also, perhaps come up with some ideas about what skills/qualities you could bring to their company if they took you on. Blow your own trumpet but without being arrogant - good luck! :)

Latest posts

Back