Introducing nail art!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
At the moment this is my biggest fear, I'm ok ish at it and have started practising but I'm petrified of doing it on actual clients in case it do goes wrong!
I'm now quite good at polishing and feel I am ready to add nail art to my services with shellac like glitter additives and hand painted art! I watch and try out designs by fingernail fixer and divine by design and I enjoy doing it (on my colour pops lol) Just really scared about introducing it but I know I won't conquer this if I don't do it!

How did you a graduate up to offering it at first!

I started by having a play on colour pops then practised on my mum! I put pics on my fb page of designs I'd done and have them available to clients to see when they're picking their colour - people like to look not all of them like nail art but the ones that do love having ideas they can see to pick and choose from x

I would definitely start off with praciticing like mad on colour pops and start with simple things that you can easily recreate on your clients without getting stressed out. Things like marble effects, additives, stamps, studs, stickers and transfers make great nail art and don't need to be as precise as hand painting.

I bought loads of nail art brushes and just practiced. You will be amazed what tutorials you find on YouTube!

What i found reassuring was that doing it on shellac is that I do it after I have top coated and wiped the inhibition layer off so if it goes wrong or I am not happy I can wipe it off and start again without ruining the whole nail

Great ideas everyone! Well I've got some colour pops so every day I'm practising using a new design! I'm highly critical as well which doesn't help my confidence!

so get some dotting tools very simple cant go wrong you do not have to master more brushes at the moment whilst already trying to master you're acrylic brush and or gel brushes why do girls like art ...? contrast thats all it is offer to start on a ring finger with dotting tool art then progress slowly polka dots.flowers.blossoms trees and so much more can be done this is the best way to star of as a beginner 1000s designs

so get some dotting tools very simple cant go wrong you do not have to master more brushes at the moment whilst already trying to master you're acrylic brush and or gel brushes why do girls like art ...? contrast thats all it is offer to start on a ring finger with dotting tool art then progress slowly polka dots.flowers.blossoms trees and so much more can be done this is the best way to star of as a beginner 1000s designs

Yes I've got my dotting tools out! Tried my first very basic cath kidson inspired design last night I was ok with it, will try it again though. I am just sitting down to do my own nails now, gonna do a French tip design with some zillionaire layered over the pink! I can just about do a half decent leopard, jaguar and cheetah print as well! Eeeeek

I decided to cheat😈 I've decided to do konad stamping. I do feel like I'm bailing out, but this is starting me off doing art. My next step is to master simple hand painted designs. Mastered marbling which took me weeks to even get close to actually looking like marble.
I am really impressed with the konad stamping effect but I feel that it does undermine what nail artists achieve doing it by hand. Sorry guys. X

I decided to cheat😈 I've decided to do konad stamping. I do feel like I'm bailing out, but this is starting me off doing art. My next step is to master simple hand painted designs. Mastered marbling which took me weeks to even get close to actually looking like marble.
I am really impressed with the konad stamping effect but I feel that it does undermine what nail artists achieve doing it by hand. Sorry guys. X

Stamping is not cheating - it takes time and practice to master stamping. Free hand nail art has it's place, so does stamping. It's one way a client (and tech!) can guarantee a consistent result

Stamping is not cheating - it takes time and practice to master stamping. Free hand nail art has it's place, so does stamping. It's one way a client (and tech!) can guarantee a consistent result

I don't know much about stamping, never even seena Konrad. I will do more research

Your right it does take time to get stamping. And it's the consistent image replication that I like the most. I like the clarity.

I don't know much about stamping, never even seena Konrad. I will do more research

Stamping is a great tool to get more confident in nail art in a relatively simple manner. There are heaps of good brands, check out the Konad thread (first post) for pointers and info

Stamping is a great tool to get more confident in nail art in a relatively simple manner. There are heaps of good brands, check out the Konad thread (first post) for pointers and info

How do you rate bundle monster plates and stampers.

How do you rate bundle monster plates and stampers.

The later generation bundle monster plates are good, the first series are very small. While I've never had a problem with the designs not being etched deeply enough, I know other people have and their customer service is excellent.

I've not tried their stampers though, I bought an XL stamper from a place here in Australia which works perfectly - some of the eBay XL stampers are hit and miss

I did my Acrylics design course in Nove 2010, never practiced.

Finally got them out, watched Gemma Lamberts tutorials on you tube and this is what I created.

I've ordered Arabella forms as well to pre-make some designs.

Practice, practice, practice!!

First attempts so would love good or bad feedback!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1387416508.038701.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1387416530.659910.jpg

First, Stamping and stickers are not cheating, they are just different.
Nail art charge is one thing, but then "free hand art" is a higher charge. Some places don't do this but they don't do deep detail free hand - maybe just a small flower or dots etc.

I even think of french - i knew one place that air brushed ALL their french polish. They were all about "fast". Anything else was an upcharge. They did pink/white? upcharge from just clear or single color L&P or Gel.
You want a dual color shellac so it mimics french but in color (i.e. you want a black base/green tips)? up-charge from single color shellac (and even more expensive than a white tip/nude nail french).
It's all how you want to do things and charge for things.

I think if I can stamp a nail in a few moments but I need to take 10-20m per nail for free hand art - then I'm charging more for free hand art.

I think you need to consider yourself an artist and think how you want to be perceived. If you feel you're ready, you just put in the art nail pops where your color wheels are and put a note "this card - $3/nail" this can be your stamps and/or stickers- and designate "stamped art". then make another wheel of free hand (even if dots) "this card free hand designs- $5/nail" and then more complex "this plate and items like this, complex free hand designs.. $X/nail"

then people might get the idea and ask 'what's the difference' and talk, explain and go from there :)

I did my Acrylics design course in Nove 2010, never practiced.

Finally got them out, watched Gemma Lamberts tutorials on you tube and this is what I created.

I've ordered Arabella forms as well to pre-make some designs.

Practice, practice, practice!!

First attempts so would love good or bad feedback!

View attachment 50807View attachment 50808

These are lovely! Well done- it's just hard getting started when you feel your ****! I'm doing shellac art and styles next month- that should help me a bit.
Oh can anyone tell me- What are Arabella forms?

Latest posts

Back