Is a full Nail Tech qualification important?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollysRose

Reaction score
Do you think having a full Nail Technology qualification is better than having separate qualifications?

I ask because I already have Mani/Pedi qualifications and I'm wanting to learn Gel enhancements too. I didn't want to do a one day course incase I couldn't grasp it so I went to a college to do a full Level 2 Nail Technology course. I've only had one lesson but I already don't think it's very good. Our tutor told us that because the college nail kit is expensive (still less than £200) we should just buy Japanese stuff off eBay. Even to use on paying clients. She's also been saying things that don't sound right. I'm planning on doing the Bio Sculpture or CND Brisa Lite course aswell. Should I leave this course and just continue to do them separately or should I continue this college course just for the full nail tech certificate?

Do clients really mind which options you choose?

My college course was really slow the first 2-3 weeks and I thought I'd make a big mistake enrolling on it but it's much better now. Lots of theory, practical and homework to do. We had to buy our own kit but they recommended where to buy it but it is basic stuff. I bought the tools and products elsewhere as I found even the scent unpleasant and wouldn't have used it on myself. x

I preferred to have the full Nail Technology qualification. But I do think it makes a difference where you train. I'm doing my Level 3 and the college I chose uses Calgel and NSI acrylic, I wouldn't have been happy using unknown or ebay products even if I got the same qualification at the end.

I don't feel comfortable using the Japanese or Chinese stuff from eBay. The college kit is The Edge and I was going to buy IBD or NSI. I told my tutor this and she said that she might not be able to teach me properly because each brand could be different so she wants everyone to have the same brand - and everyone else is getting the stuff of eBay.

I don't want to learn bad habits from this course. I'll be doing the Bio Scultpure or Brisa Lite course whether I finish this college one or not so I don't know whether to continue or not. At the moment I don't really know anything about enhancements. I haven't paid anything, as I've been told we can do 3 lessons before paying to see how we like the course.

I'm just worried that if I get my qualifications separately it might affect my future. I offer my other treatments (including mani/pedi) on a self-employed basis and I don't plan on being employed yet. If I was to look for a proper nail tech job would I need the full Level 2 or would I be ok with the separate ones?

Hiya Hun.

Gosh I cannot believe that a tutor is telling you to buy off eBay! That is
Shocking!

If I was you, I would just sack the rest of that course off and go and train with cnd or bio sculpture Hun. You will be able to do this as you already have your mani and pedi qualifications.

You will notice a massive difference in education I think.

And good luck :) xx

I wouldn't be happy with that either, I'd either look for another college or just go with the brand specific.
Even though you get an NVQ I wouldn't want to train with products that I don't trust and wouldn't normally use.

I'm really shocked that the college is using eBay products. If they're cutting corners on something as important as products what else isn't going to be standard? In fact I'm unsure whether their college insurance would even cover it as they won't be able to confirm the quality or content of the products! I would question whether MSDS sheets are available for the products.

Technically once you are licensed you are legally qualified for everything in Illinois. Being able to do the service is a different story. I just graduated in February and I'm struggling with my acrylics and my traditional gel enhancements. It's just going to take for everyone to be able to be good at everything and it's all about practice.

I didn't even think of that Pure! I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm not going to continue on this course now. Do you think I should complain to the college about those products? Is there an official body I should tell? I'm now thinking if I don't tell anyone about this then they're just going to keep doing it and we'll end up with more qualified technicians using these products that may harm their clients.

I've just started a nail course at college & was told unless we brought college recommended kit (nail gaga) we couldn't do the course.

I would seriously complain to the college they shouldn't be recommending non professional products for you to use. It's so wrong. Hopefully you will find a better course xx

I would definitely mention it to someone higher up in authority at the college. I also like the idea of reporting it to an outside body also however I'm really not sure who, if anyone, the colleges are answerable to! Maybe send an email to Habia and see what they suggest?

Just out of interest what eBay products are they recommending, is there a specific brand name?

No specific brand. She just said to look on ebay for the Japanese gel kits because they're cheaper.

We're training with NSI acrylic at college and we must buy those kits from he college. We were told which manicure products and implements we needed and could purchase those ourselves.
I hope you don't lose your course fee if you decide not to go back. Perhaps they'll refund it if you make a complaint x

College is a of waste time as you will have to still train with your chosen brand to know how to use it and buy it . Unfortunately college it is very basic and doesn't teach you the needed skills required. If i was doing my training again it would not have been in college.I would have gone straight with my chosen company and paid the bucks.Ebay isn't a good way to start aspecially when your just starting out as your not aware of what your using. And it is worse if your training on acrylics as ebay acrylics contain mma. I know that there are a few salons opting for the ebay. To save pennys in there greedy pockets. And they know who they are but it will only comeback to bite you in the arse. When client's comeback moaning.I would train professionally with a "professtional brand" then once you have a qualification and knowledge then you can make decisions based on what you've learnt and know.But now while your fresh to this industry don't take the risk with the idle tutor you've got.

I hope you don't lose your course fee if you decide not to go back. Perhaps they'll refund it if you make a complaint x

Luckily I haven't paid anything yet. All the students were allowed to watch three lessons without paying before they decide if they want to commit to the course.

I've sent them an email and if I don't get any reply I'll go into the college to speak directly to someone.

Latest posts

Back