Is it beneficial to do both gel and acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YummyMummy2014

Reaction score
I've trained in gel extensions (NSI) but I feel a bit like I'm missing out not doing acrylic too- like a severe nail biter client that my gel tips didn't work out for (came off within 48 hours) that has gone to get acrylic nails as they can build a nail bed then sculpt.
I think sculpts are easier with acrylic too. And there's not the curing time.
It'll set me back another £300 but was planning on doing acrylic next year.
Any advice would be good- what is more popular for you? Do those who do both find they use one much more or 50/50?

I'm in the same boat so interested to hear opinions too! X

Following as I am only trained in gel too x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi girls, from a personal point of view I believe everyone of us should be adept in all the systems. No 1 system can meet all your clients needs, some are fine with gel, some need liquid & powder. I have one client who only seems to suit silk/fiberglass wraps. It is a personal choice though :)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using SalonGeek mobile app

I offer both but acrylic is far more popular with my clients. I've used it many times to get nail biters to the point where they are able to grow their nails to move to gel overlay and then just Shellac. Acrylic is a valuable tool for any nail tech to have.

I agree both hard gel & L&P are fab, I use both depending what my clients want to achieve, their career type etc. If you don't offer sculpting then if you can have a look for one near you excellent for nail biters & short nail beds, but definitely look to work towards a L&P course. I find both are popular x

Agree with the comments above. It's important to be fluent in both gel and acrylic so that you can offer the best material depending on the clients lifestyle and needs.

I agree too. I firstly trained in NSI Balance Gels and have recently done my conversion course in NSI Attraction Acrylics. I have all sorts of clients so I know I can offer then the best service for their nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is.

But equally I would be wary of this being a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation.

Until you understand the structural fundamentals of gel there isn't much point going on to do l&p in my opinion.

I think there is some way to go before you "get" the structure/application of enhancements & personally I would save my money/attend further gel training before beginning a new discipline.

Please read my post in a very nice supportive tone :hug:

It is.

But equally I would be wary of this being a "jack of all trades, master of none" situation.

Until you understand the structural fundamentals of gel there isn't much point going on to do l&p in my opinion.

I think there is some way to go before you "get" the structure/application of enhancements & personally I would save my money/attend further gel training before beginning a new discipline.

Please read my post in a very nice supportive tone :hug:

I see your point but I've already lost clients from not offering acrylic and I'm not fully up and running as I'm on mat leave. But next year I want to get advertising and to say I only offer gel I think looks a bit limiting?
Plus I'm only ever planning to do 1 full day a week when my hubby is off so may take a loooong time before I can master gel!
So do you mean spend more money doing more gel training?

I'm interested in this !

I'm doing an intro to nail technician course this week.

Doing manicures, acrylics and gel polish..

But I've just done two days of gel nail training and during this I have been shown how to do sculpting with gel and I'm absolutely in awe of them !! X

I think acrylic sculptures look much easier than gel. I wasn't loving the gel sculpts too much

I think acrylic sculptures look much easier than gel. I wasn't loving the gel sculpts too much

It is generally accepted that l&p is harder to master. I think a lot of techs get away with some very dubious structure in l&p due to its extra strength. So I guess to a certain extent it's more forgiving; but that doesn't mean easier.

With regards to my initial post... I meant that whilst still fine tuning the fundamentals of gel branching into l&p will have limited benefit. You will get the most out of a conversion when you already have solid technique.

When you attend a conversion the concept is that you use the interchangeable skills you've developed through your original enhancement product & apply them to the new medium.

I don't want to offend but I did have a look at some of your posts/pics before commenting initially & I think there is some work to be done. Specifically with regards to apexes & the ability to sculpt.

A nail biter can be dealt with successfully with either product. Lots of techs use hard gel on those with teeny nail beds & it works because they understand the structure necessary for longevity.

If you produce high quality enhancements people will come. They will come whether you use gel/l&p/fibreglass. Very few people produce nails that truly enhance appearance & those that do are in demand.

Last edited:
Its hard to judge which is easier by just looking! You have to actually try it to find out which you prefer. Personally I find gel much easier, Acrylic didn't come naturally to me and took lots of work and extra training to master. The ratio business is a challenge. It's sets quickly and is harder to file to correct issues. Saying that some techs just prefer acrylic and can't get used to gel, which is for most timewise a slightly slower treatment and can run everywhere, is harder to build an extension edge or an apex and harder to pinch. Gel easily floods sidewalls and just creates a sloppy mess if not careful.

I do agree that acrylic is more forgiving it's stronger and as said above an improper apex is not so much of an issue also acrylic bonds slightly better despite sloppy prep where as lots of techs struggle with gel "pinging off". For me to be able to produce really good, strong structurally sound gel sculpts is more of a challenge.

In my opinion there is always room for both some clients prefer gel and others acrylic, some clients NEED gel and others need to have acrylic. You should be able to cater to this.

For instance I had a client allergic to uv light so couldn't have gel. I also had a client with very weak and bendy nails who just couldn't last with gel. what if you had a client who was allergic to monomer?

I agree that it would be easier for you to master one, then the other! Perhaps give yourself a few months between learning each system.

It is generally accepted that l&p is harder to master. I think a lot of techs get away with some very dubious structure in l&p due to its extra strength. So I guess to a certain extent it's more forgiving; but that doesn't mean easier.

With regards to my initial post... I meant that whilst still fine tuning the fundamentals of gel branching into l&p will have limited benefit. You will get the most out of a conversion when you already have solid technique.

When you attend a conversion the concept is that you use the interchangeable skills you've developed through your original enhancement product & apply them to the new medium.

I don't want to offend but I did have a look at some of your posts/pics before commenting initially & I think there is some work to be done. Specifically with regards to apexes & the ability to sculpt.

A nail biter can be dealt with successfully with either product. Lots of techs use hard gel on those with teeny nail beds & it works because they understand the structure necessary for longevity.

If you produce high quality enhancements people will come. They will come whether you use gel/l&p/fibreglass. Very few people produce nails that truly enhance appearance & those that do are in demand.

Thanks for your advice. I realise I've got a long way to come with gel nails. An I'm still very much a beginner
Oh I didn't realise I could do a conversion course actually I was thinking id have to train in acrylic with complete beginners?
It's something I'm only considering at the minute anyways

As a rule of thumb L&P is suitable for thin weak bendy nails and gel is for Hard brittle nails.
Both systems have different structure and benefits, gel is more flexible than L&P.
We need to offer the best system to suit our clients natural nails for longevity. Remember opposites attract so we want to use the system that offers the opposite to our clients natural nail types.
If a client has thin weak bendy nails there is no point using a gel on these nails as the extra flexibility is going to lead to service breakdown and an unhappy client. And vice versa with hard brittle nails.
Hope this helps.
Jen xx

Latest posts

Back