Is it illegal to open another's post?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KirstieLou

Reaction score
I moved out of a property 3 weeks ago and there has been so much difficulty made the landlady (also my mums close friend) she has kept some of my items too but that's another story.
Anyway, she kindly posted some of my mail through my mums door however she had opened every single letter it is clear they are my letters and gives ten all together.
Or had a nightmare with her and I want to know if that is illegal? If so can i press charges to give her a fright and get her to stay out of my life!?
Thanks xx

I moved out of a property 3 weeks ago and there has been so much difficulty made the landlady (also my mums close friend) she has kept some of my items too but that's another story.
Anyway, she kindly posted some of my mail through my mums door however she had opened every single letter it is clear they are my letters and gives ten all together.
Or had a nightmare with her and I want to know if that is illegal? If so can i press charges to give her a fright and get her to stay out of my life!?
Thanks xx

It us illegal yes! Otherwise the postmen could just do it haha xx

In fact I think it is contrary to s.84 postal services act 2000 x

Yes it's illegal to open post not addressed to you, in fairness I suspect the police would not do anything in this case as there is no fraud,etc.

I would search Google for a cease and desist letter, it'll be a lovely offically worded letter used by the legal world to tell someone to stop their cease and desist their behavour. It's usually enough to shake someone up, make sure you send it recorded delivery too and that tends to spook people too.

Best option is to get the post office to redirect your post until you manage to get everything rerouted yourself

Yes it's illegal to open post not addressed to you, in fairness I suspect the police would not do anything in this case as there is no fraud,etc.

I would search Google for a cease and desist letter, it'll be a lovely offically worded letter used by the legal world to tell someone to stop their cease and desist their behavour. It's usually enough to shake someone up, make sure you send it recorded delivery too and that tends to spook people too.

Best option is to get the post office to redirect your post until you manage to get everything rerouted yourself

I think I shall post a letter to her :)
I redirected mails about a week ago so these letters must of been there a while

Latest posts

Back