Is L&P stronger than Gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara Satchell

Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that L&P is generally stronger than gel when both applied correctly?

Depends on your point of view really and we could sit here all day and argue the pros and cons of each system. Many of my clients who have had l&p and have LCN gel with me say they think the gel is much stronger, so who knows.

At the end of the day it all comes down to cross-linking! The molecular structure of l&p has tighter cross linking which in theory makes it stronger, gel has longer cross-links so it is more flexible and IMO makes it more comfortable on the nail. (OMG think this is the first time I've got really technical so hope my explanation is correct).

However, the story doesn't really end there. There are many good and bad products out there, both l&p and gel, so a lot comes down to what make of product you use and finally how well it is applied.

The question is similar to asking how long a piece of string is ;)

Fundamentally, gels are far more flexible than L&P systems (L&P systems are fundamentally stronger).
A stronger system will prevent breakage under sharp impact, but a more flexible system will absorb shock more easily...
A lot will also depend on your application technique (crappy or incompatible bulbs on UV gels will cause massive weakness in your gel application/crappy finishing techniques and application techniques with L&P will weaken your L&P application).

So you can see that there are a lot of differing variables that will define how each system is better suited for a client.

You are usually safe if you follow the basic rule of thumb: Need maximum strength? Use L&P. Having cracking problems with L&P? Then try gel.

Also, the length of the cross linking is variable depending on many things (cure time, thickness of each layer,UV light quality, photoinitiator content and quality). Far more variant than with L&P :D

Hope this helps!

Hi

well difficult one i personally think its down to the client. It really depends on where they need the strength, if you know what i mean?
For some clients the strength is in the flexibility of L+P and for others its the impenetrable strength of gel, but it is a lot harder....... :| for some clients not such a good thing. (depending on which brand of gel you use eg LCN is VERY hard wereas biosculpture is VERY flexible and soft)

i feel both systems have there plus and minus points and its all about getting the right system on the right client. IMO

Did that make any sense??

The Nail Geek said:
Also, the length of the cross linking is variable depending on many things (cure time, thickness of each layer,UV light quality, photoinitiator content and quality). Far more variant than with L&P :D
Thanks Sam, guess that makes sense cos some LCN gels such as Bondique are very flexible and great for natural nail overlays (and crap for tip and overlay), whereas Sculpture is very strong and less flexible. Would you say that gels have longer cross links than l&p, or is this another myth I have been led to believe is fact?

I am not really sure what you mean by longer cross links. A Cross linker essentially 'connects' linear polymers together to form large 3d like structures.

I was looking for a Tinker Toy image on the net... but only came up with this (which still helps explain my analogy):

GA118P.JPG

Think of the long white sticks as polymers (cured monomers) and the multi coloured balls as special kinds of monomers called 'cross linkers'. These Cross linker guys allow regular monomers to link together into complex 3d structures when they cure (polymerize).

Now... you can have a product that contains more cross linkers than other products (that would mean the standard white polymer chains would be shorter) but that has a tendency to make the product more brittle.
You can have fewer cross links, which makes the product more flexible (the standard polymer chains are longer)
But you cant really have longer cross linkers if you see what I mean.
I think you are most likely referring to the second thing: fewer cross links.

Once again though, a lot has to do with the chemical makeup and the way the gel is used.

For instance, if you are using a lamp that is emitting less UV energy than what the product is designed for, you can develop have large gaps in your polymer chains (think of breaks in the white plastic sticks in the picture above). That equates to large cracks running through your enhancement.

Hope this helps explain :wink2:

Thanks Sam, your explanation was brilliant. Still not quite sure what I was getting at, was racking my brain to remember the terminology I was taught (could have been polymer chains, who knows, I am never good at retaining terminology- took me 2 years to remember which was the hyponichium and the eponychium, it just wouldn't stick!).

really glad I put my post up though rather than being Mrs Scaredypants as I usually do about technical stuff (always worried about looking a complete prat)as I have learnt mega bucket loads and your picture really helped me to understand and RETAIN your info.

I'm chuffed you put it up... its a great opportunity for us all to discuss and learn!

Anyhoo... like I said... I think you were referring to less crosslinks which=longer polymer chains which= more flex. So... I think you were pretty much there with what you were saying :wink2:

Latest posts

Back