Is my gel TOO hard?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
I've been doing more sets of gels recently but I've been having some problems with it on people whose nails are anything less then good, strong nails to begin with. It lasts fine on people with normal or hard nails but on softer nails I get lifting very quickly and on myself I get pocket lifting where I have soft/damaged patches on my natural nail.

My prep and application I am very pleased with, shape, stress area etc so I'm 90% sure that the problem isn't with me. Is it possible that the product is too strong for people with softer nails, or am I being too quick to blame the product where it is actually me? The thing is I really am sure that my prep is spot on so I don't think it can be that. Also when I used BioSculpture on my nails, which I know is more flexible, I did exactly the same prep and didn't get any pocket lift.

I'm using a single-phase gel that is strong enough to bond, build and sculpt with so is it possible that it's too strong?

Or if people have soft nails to start with am I better off telling them that they can't go straight into extensions, that they need to strengthen the natural nail first?

I did a full set on Tuesday and they looked gorgeous when she left but she's come back for repairs today with one nail clean off (I think the banged it as part of her free edge was missing too, but the nail plate itself looked pretty clean) and severe lifting on both thumbs, plus a bit of lifting on 2 or 3 other nails. Like I said, I'm 90% sure the problem isn't with me but I don't know if I'm totally correct in blaming the gel. What do you guys think?

what gel are we talking?

I think its the same old story, some peeps get on famously with a product some dont.

Which is why i've ended up stocking about 5 different gels !:eek: :eek:

I WILL get one of the buggers to work !!! he he

I tend to find if they dont get on with a file off i try them on a soak off and vice versa.

And of course you'll always get some peeps who just dont bother to look after their nails and abuse them .....we'll they are past helping anway :green:

Amb x

It's Nail Solutions gel. I've been using it for... well, must be over a year now. It always works fine on my mum who has very hard nails but doesn't seem to work so well on other people.

I used to think it was my prep etc, which it may well have been at one point, but I know I've got much better at that now. I've actually had it on one lady and it all came straight off inside 48 hours... and yet when I tried her with a very thin topgloss gel, that stayed on for 3 weeks with no lift or anything.

I think I need to try another gel but I'm loathe to spend money on one if I might get the same problems. I do have the Essential Nails/Dream soak off gel which I could try out I guess.

I wanted to get other people's opinions on whether they think I'm right to blame/question the gel or if this is too far-fetched.

trythe dream gel hun i never have any problem even with my own nails and they are really soft

Do you use the soak off or the buff off? I have a jar of the soak off so far. The only niggle I have with them is the lack of colour choice.. the nail solutions pink is a lovely colour.

My other option would be to go back to my old IBD gels but these seem to be becoming less popular now, or is it just me?

I'd tend to agree with Amber. Why don't you try a pot of Akzents Options - easy to get hold of from nailsplusbeauty and you're not commited to buying a whole starter kit etc. Is lovely and flexible and should give you an idea if its suitable.

I even used it for a while to start with, with my Bio white, so you could probably buy a pot of clear jst for starters.

Does the options not need a bonder gel or anything at all, or can I just use it straight off on its own?
I'm rebalancing my mum's nails tonight so I may try my Dream gel on her and see how it lasts on her. It's a shame that Essential Nails don't seem to be at Prof Nails this year or I'd get a demo done on Monday on my nasty little nails and see how it holds up!

Edited to add:
I'm actually thinking of retraining with LeChat anyway so if Angel Fingers or Danger Mouse are on - I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, ladies. Am I blaming my product where I shouldn't be? If it was 6 months ago I'd say yes, but I was so pleased with this set I did when the girl left the salon on Tuesday I'd hate to think that the problem was me.

Does the options not need a bonder gel or anything at all, or can I just use it straight off on its own?
I'm rebalancing my mum's nails tonight so I may try my Dream gel on her and see how it lasts on her. It's a shame that Essential Nails don't seem to be at Prof Nails this year or I'd get a demo done on Monday on my nasty little nails and see how it holds up!

Options (the Akzentz soak off gel) is a one component gel and no - needs no bonder.

Is it possible that the nails are too long for her and maybe she's tough on her hands, causing the pocket lifting?
I have a client who was the only one getting pocket lifting.. then shortened her nails and that got rid of the problem.
With gels being more flexible than l&p, they are more likely to create a pocket lift than to break away completely.

Just an idea.

hth's

Another gel that I have used and found to be quite flexible is the Young Nails line. If your out tryin new products, give this one a thought!

OH, forgot to add:

I know when my application was too thick, had a lot of pocket lifting. It was too thick and so too hard and not flexible enough to move with the nail.
Thats something else to consider.

hth's

Latest posts

Back