Is NVQ2 in Beauty Therapy enough to get me work in a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
One day I would like to be NVQ3 Qualified but in the mean time, I am hoping to pass my NVQ2 Beauty within the next 6 months and I was wondering if this would make me a worthwhile candidate to apply to work in a salon? (I can do waxing, lash perm/tint, makeup, facials, mani/pedi)

hope yas can answer me question!

Laura :)xx

hi, i imagine alot will have to do with the area you live in, but most jobs i see advertised ask for level three xxx

what about popping into you local beauty salons and talking to them.. nothing to loose,,, hey .. let us know xxx

I am having a problem with this, I am qualified for level 2 but all salons in my area want level 3 or an experienced therapist. It is very hard to find work after college as most salons want somebody who is already experienced. If you are still studying at the min, then you could try asking some salons in your area if they will take you on for saturdays, even just as a cleaner or assisstant. Some girls I went to college with managed to find somewhere like this. Only thing is you might have to offer it as work experience so you maybe wouldn't get paid, but it could be worth it :)

i was in the same situation as you 2 years ago, and managed to find a day in a salon, i wasn't insured to do any treatments on the clients however the staff let me build my confidence up on them, even if it's just for half a day it's worth while perservering, however i found walking round the salons better instead of ringing it shows them dedication and gives them a feel for you :) xo

i was in the same situation as you 2 years ago, and managed to find a day in a salon, i wasn't insured to do any treatments on the clients however the staff let me build my confidence up on them, even if it's just for half a day it's worth while perservering, however i found walking round the salons better instead of ringing it shows them dedication and gives them a feel for you :) xo

Yer I agree with going in person. Sometimes if they have nothing available but they like the look of you, they will keep your details and consider you for any future vacancies.

also once you've done your level 3 go back to the same places first, then they really have no choice but to consider you also don't be scared to approach the hotels with spas and things my friend did and they took her straight on hope you find something soon xo

Quite a few of my staff have been taken on whilst doing their level two, after they have done some work experience with me. It is definately worth going to see the salon owner in person, as this always impresses them, they can see what you look like and it also makes you look like you're really keen to get a job. Most salon owners do want level three qualified staff but a good level two, working towards level three can be good for salons who want to mould their therapists from scratch with no bad habits.

thanks people :)

Tis good to know this as now, even when working towards level 3, I can still be productive in taking up some of your ideas in the mean time. Will definately give it ago upon passing level 2 and let yas know how I get on :)

Could u work mobile for a year on level 2 and build a client base? And do ur level 3 part time? Once u have that u would be able to approach a salon with an established client list too x

As the others say, go round salons in person. I'd also leave your C.V, be confident about the treatments you can already do, explain you've experience in doing these treatments for friends and family. If you have been doing friends and family, you could class that as mobile work :D I don't see there being a problem for you. Salons usually go over things the way they want you to do them anyway

Latest posts

Back