Is OPI from Amazon real or fake?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJPN

Reaction score
Hiya

I'm in desperate need of a yellow polish and want to get the OPI Copa-Cabana one, I don't have time to get to Sally's today, Amazon has them for delivery tomorrow but does anyone know if they're fakes? I know gels from there most likely are but wondered about OPI as you can get this in regular shops? Thanks x

Don't chance it. It could be genuine... could be fake! No one here can 100% confirm it either way.

Most pro suppliers will probably have a next day delivery option?

Ok thanks both x

I've ordered OPI from Amazon and never had a problem with them. They've all been geniuine. Its whether you want to take the risk. TNBL is a good supplier for OPI and they can be quite cheap though!

I've ordered OPI from Amazon and never had a problem with them. They've all been geniuine. Its whether you want to take the risk. TNBL is a good supplier for OPI and they can be quite cheap though!

How do you know for sure they are genuine? If they are cheaper than the normal trade price then I would suspect it is either grey market product or a fake - and there are plenty fakes out there.

They probably aren't fake but a lot that are cheaper are imported from the states and you can be stung for import taxes

If you google it there are a couple of sites that compare real and fake OPI bottles. When I first heard about people purchasing fake ones I had a look and I can say that all of my OPI's are definitely genuine.

Doug Schoon has recently written an article about techs purchasing grey market products but then complaining about the nail companies lack of offers, complain about the product because they haven't purchased from the authorised distributor therefore don't get the support etc. When you purchase this way you are supporting the grey market traders who will sell to ANY member of the PUBLIC not just professionals - unlike the authorised distributors who are for the PRO not joe public, grey market traders do NOT care who buys the professional product they are all about making £'s no support as they are NOT the distributor whom the nail company provides products/education & support. Have a look on Doug's fb page he puts it more eloquently than myself. I can't understand why techs simply do not support the distributors of professional products if all techs did then there would not be a grey market trade therefore reducing the risk of your clients purchasing the products you are using as pro only.

The whole fake polish thing is really irritating. Its simple really. People buy cheap polish and find out they are fake so upload information on how to spot a fake. The fraudsters then use this information that folks are freely handing over on how they catch fraudsters out to better improve their copies until now I have seen posts where the fraudsters have litterally have fixed nearly all the ways of telling until now where we have got to the point where folks can't tell unless they see a real and a fake side by side painted onto a nail. Its crazy! I we all bought from authorized distributors or companies known to buy from authorized distributors instead of trying to save money by buying from ebay and amazon etc then there wouldn't be half these problems. I get why consumers do it but gel polish is even out there now and that's really bad since it is supposed to be a salon only service and it is really affecting clients, salon owners and the brands themselves. Buy only from a an authorized source is my suggestion. I would rather tell a client i didn't have their prefered color but only buy from certain suppliers since there are lots of fakes out there and my clients would prefer this so they know they are getting what they are paying for. I know this is an old thread but this quandry rages on for many so thought i would put another point of view:)

Latest posts

Back