Is this normal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_Nightshade

Reaction score
I had acrylic overlays, which I had soaked off two weeks ago. At first everything was fine, I just had some tiny scrathes all over my nails which I hid with clear polish.

After about a week I noticed my nails were peeling, I nearly had a panic attack lol until I realised it was left over acrylic flaking off. (I have quite a hands on job, although I had no problems with the actual overlays)

Now the acrylic has flaked off on all my nail tips, leaving a noticable ridge where its still attached further up my nail.

Plus each and every nail tip is very soft and tender to the touch, just before the free edge the nail bed is a dark red while the rest of my nail bed is a normal pink colour.

Ive always had soft nails but not tenderness with it, Ive trimmed my nails now to about 1mm of free edge, but Im a bit worried about this.

Also Ive been told that you shouldnt soak your fingers in acetone to remove acrylic and techs shouldnt blow on your fingers to remove dust, added to that I keep getting nicked is it time for a new tech????? :confused:

Nails can take a little time to "feel" normal again after enhancements/overlays but scratches and red spots are a sign of either to harsh a prep....heavy handed filing or client damage (picking off bits of acrylic)

Soaking in acetone to remove acrylic is perfectly normal....blowing dust might not be the most professional thing to do but isn't going to harm you and being nicked can happen but shouldn't be the norm....its your choice if you decide to find a new tech.

Any damage will grow out...nothing to worry about...use plenty of oil

Nails can take a little time to "feel" normal again after enhancements/overlays but scratches and red spots are a sign of either to harsh a prep....heavy handed filing or client damage (picking off bits of acrylic)

Soaking in acetone to remove acrylic is perfectly normal....blowing dust might not be the most professional thing to do but isn't going to harm you and being nicked can happen but shouldn't be the norm....its your choice if you decide to find a new tech.

Any damage will grow out...nothing to worry about...use plenty of oil

I have oil to hand right now :green: and Im very good at not picking, the flaking happened all on its own. I work in an optical lab so Im making glasses, tinting lenses, typing on computers I just assumed that contributed to the remaining acrylic flaking.

I wanted my nails done for my holiday at the end of the month but considering how sore my fingertips feel I think Im going to leave it till they feel better. I dont fancy more buffing to fit enhancements on atm.

Is it the first time you have gone to this tech? and dont suppose you know what products she was using? xx

Is it the first time you have gone to this tech? and dont suppose you know what products she was using? xx

I went to her for gels first, which I had lifting problems with, she was using IBD for the gel but I dont know what make the L&P was tbh. :rolleyes:

hmmm sounds like some gel was left on, not sure if that brand is a soak off buff off, that could be one explanation for flaking, also sounds like she has been a bit heavy handed with the file and (or has used to high a grit) instead of just removing shine has filed the nail away to nothing where it is red and tender! I'd definitly look for a new tech purely for this fact hthxx

Ive been pointed in the direction of a geek who lives not far from me, and Ive seen some of her work on the gallerys here so Ill definately be visiting her when my fingers arnt so sore. (and boy are they sore atm, even typing burns) :cry:

:hug:

Latest posts

Back